PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Steelers regular season  (Read 484 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
Re: Steelers regular season
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2018, 07:12:13 AM »

I think BR has a bad elbow. For the past few years, it hasn't looked to me like his passes have quite the same zip and his deep throws seem to float. Back in training camp, Fichtner was asked about BR playing and said something to the effect that his arm only has so many throws in it. That comment didn't get much play, but when I read it, I thought it was an oblique way of saying BR's arm is finally wearing (or worn) out. The Steelers probably know this, too, which is why they drafted and kept 2 young qbs the past 2 years. I think it's why they haven't moved on offering BR another contract yet.

I can't help but think back to the end of Bradshaw's career when he also had a bum elbow and blew his arm out for good in a "must win" game vs NYJ.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2018, 07:12:10 PM »

I think BR has a bad elbow. For the past few years, it hasn't looked to me like his passes have quite the same zip and his deep throws seem to float. Back in training camp, Fichtner was asked about BR playing and said something to the effect that his arm only has so many throws in it. That comment didn't get much play, but when I read it, I thought it was an oblique way of saying BR's arm is finally wearing (or worn) out. The Steelers probably know this, too, which is why they drafted and kept 2 young qbs the past 2 years. I think it's why they haven't moved on offering BR another contract yet.

I can't help but think back to the end of Bradshaw's career when he also had a bum elbow and blew his arm out for good in a "must win" game vs NYJ.

I will admit I am not a huge Steelers fan as the Saints are my team but we all know being from around here, this always happens with Ben. He might very well have a bad elbow but it seems after a bad loss and with this one a disappointing tie, Big Ben always comes out of a bad game with and "injury". He is such a huge drama queen it is starting to get sickening to watch. I can't remember how many times I have watched him after throwing a bad pass or an interception he starts to limp or hold his back etc.

I just get the weird feeling Ben is playing the elbow injury as a bad injury that is not as bad as being reported, then he will come out on Sunday, have a great game and all the sportscasters in this area will just eat it up and comment on what a trooper he is

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2018, 09:14:23 PM »

Interesting takes by both of you.

I will say that I never liked Ben's deep ball, period. He has always had pretty good arm strength  (which is obvious on his out passes and his throws on the run) but in terms of deep ball for instance Mike Tomczak and Tommy Maddox of Steelers past probably completed a better percentage of deep balls (let alone Bradshaw) and today for instance even mediocre QBs like Tyrod Taylor throw a more effective deep ball. To the point of arm strength however indo not see anything wrong with his elbow. Medical technology is much better today than it was in 1983 so comparing anything to the end of Bradshaw is not likely (Peyton Manning went the route of stem cells for instance after HGH failed to rebuild his arm). Ben can go the same route if he really has a bum arm.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2018, 06:54:41 AM »

The arm of any pro athlete only has so much life in it. BR has thrown a lot of passes over his college and pro career. I wouldn't be at all surprised that his arm is reaching its life limit.

The Steelers and Bradshaw knew he had a bad elbow. Tunch Ilkin has told the story about Bradshaw's last game and that Noll had told him not to throw the ball, or at least, not throw it much, but Bradshaw ignored that direction. Ilkin asked Bradshaw why he was throwing the ball so much and Bradshaw said "because I'm a gunslinger". Maybe if he'd have followed Noll's direction, he'd have been able to play a bit longer. Despite every eye-rolling thing Bradshaw has done and says about the Steelers on TV, I'll always respect that he knew he was blowing out his arm, but did it anyway to win a critical game that helped the Steelers make the playoffs.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2018, 07:26:40 AM »

Browns to release or trade Josh Gordon.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2018, 01:39:09 PM »

Not surprised that the post-Haley offense looks a lot like the BA-era offense. Ignore run game, call lots of long pass plays, ignore open recievers underneath, lots of hits on qb.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2018, 02:50:44 PM »

I cant believe the Browns might just get their first win today and against my Saints! Browns up 6-3 in the 3rd quarter. The saints offense looks horrible today

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2018, 03:35:40 PM »

Browns will probably win more games than the Steelers this season.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2018, 03:48:49 PM »

Browns will probably win more games than the Steelers this season.

And a huge sigh of relief comes from Beaver County as the saints pull ahead of the Browns but the game aint over yet!

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2018, 07:08:44 PM »

Jacksonville looks to be for real as they are spanking the Patriots right now 31-13

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2018, 07:30:01 PM »

AB complaining about not getting the ball enough lol

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2018, 07:51:18 PM »

Here's what I see as the Steelers currently intractable dilemna.

Since Cowher, the Steelers have relied on a 3-4 defense and depended on the OLBs to pressuer the QBs. They were also built to play this way for relatively short spurts because Cowher believed in a ball control offense. The defense wasn't designed to be on the field for long TOP drives. Cowher drafted BR, so he was able to control what he did.

When Tomlin came in, he inherited LeBeau, Arians and BR. Once Cowher was gone, Arians/BR were able to do what they wanted, to move from a run-oriented offense to a pass-oriented one. That meant less TOP and less time for the defense to recover between appearances. Because LeBeau was there, Tomlin wasn't able to institute the 4-3 defense he coached.

Now the defense is in transition. The DL has been given the freedom to stop the run on the way to the QB, but they are still trying to do it from a 3-4 with OLBs and without a true NT. The DBs are also transitioning to man-to-man from mostly zone. The back 7 are still pretty young as well. More than ever, the defense needs the offense to possess the ball and keep them off the field.

But, BR is now dictating the offense and he doesn't want to run a ball possession offense. He wants to run the no huddle and throw long passes. When the QB can dictate who the OC is, it puts the head coach in a tough position as far as being able to rein BR in and get the kind of TOP heavy offense the defense needs.

I don't really think anything will change until BR is gone, then Tomlin will be able to implement both the offense and defense he wants. He won't have to cater everything so BR gets another SB ring.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »

The way this team is playing, Ben won't be getting another Super Bowl ring IMO. Pretty apparent that the first play of the game that the Steelers do is an attempted bomb of a pass that was incomplete. And AB throwing a tantrum on the sidelines. I can't wait to see what the late night sports showdown programs have to say about this loss today

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2018, 11:13:48 AM »

And of course I log onto the PSB to read about Bruce Arians, Ben's arm, who's dictating the offense....they scored 37 points, almost 500 yards, had 9 different guys catch a pass, committed zero turnovers, and had a punt that rolled out of bounds inside the one yard line that led to a safety.

Ben's a terrible person, we know.  He's a piece of shit, we know.  He's not liked here on the PSB, we know. 

Last week's game called for 30+ carries from Conner and almost 150 rush yards.  Yesterday called for catching up from behind, and 35 passes in the first half.  And it worked, they tied the game.  Until the defense once again gave up a TD just 2:18 into the second half.

Haven't seen Chris Boswell's name here.   Or any mention of the 50 yard punt return the Chiefs had. 

Haven't seen Keith Butler's name here.  Or Tome Bradley, wasn't he getting all of these DBs up to a high level?  Or any individual defensive players who missed tackles, blew coverages, couldn't get off blocks - and who gave up 8 yards on first down, at the end of the game, when the whole world knew Hunt was getting the ball, with three timeouts in their pocket. 

I mean seriously...Bud Dupree, Artie Burns both first round picks.  Inconsistent, at very best.  Golson a 2nd round pick was a total bust.  Sean Davis, inconsistent at best.  Verdict still out on Edwards, but wasn't rated nearly as high as he was drafted.   Can't miss on this many defensive picks in first two rounds.   

Drafts of 2013, 2014, 2015 only have TWO players each still playing. 

Literally, every national media outlet last night and this morning are talking about the Steelers defense and to a lesser extent, Chris Boswell.  PSB talking about Ben. 
"there is a light that never goes out"

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2018, 11:45:47 AM »

When a QB has more TD passes (6) than incompletions (5), you have a serious problem on defense. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5