PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: RIP Jerry Shenk.  (Read 910 times)

rdg1975

• All State
Re: RIP Jerry Shenk.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 02:52:09 PM »

wow. So sad to hear this. Jerry was the absolute best and a friend who will be missed by all. He touched all who met him in a positive way.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 09:06:03 PM »

I never met the man and he impacted me significantly. He along with Chuck Hemphill, a legendary figure in western PA track who passed in 2004, are the two men who have been more influential to me in following high school sports to this day than any other people.

There are two stories I’d like to share about Jerry. The first was back in. 2003. He picked State College to upset Chester, which at the time sounded like total madness. So I went around school telling my friends and teammates that week that I think State College would win and gave the reasons why verbatim from what Jerry posted on the PSB. People laughed and when they won, I looked like a genius!

The otherwas more recent. I read his posts about the Ball family and decided to tell people what they were doing and the impact they’d have. Again, I was mocked. But they certainly have been in the spotlight for a few years now!

The state playoffs won’t be the same to me. I always waited to read what Jerry said after each round. I will think about him for the rest of my life each March during the PIAA playoffs.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 09:07:37 PM by BALDWINTRACK »

hitman66

• All State
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2019, 03:36:36 PM »

Before I weigh in with more of the football stuff (now that we're into the season), I'd like to take a few minutes to remember and pay respects to Jerry Shenk, since I was experiencing various issues with some of my devices around the time of his passing. 

As most of you guys know, Jerry was a contributor without peer in the realm of PA HS basketball.  But he also kept an eye on other PIAA matters.  We used to converse about some of the overlapping issues that affected all of the PIAA sports, things like enrollment data, rankings and the public/private debate.  I had just spoken to him about the latter issue (public/private) around a month before he passed.  I will miss Jerry's insight and our conversations about HS sports.  We have lost too many of the great contributors in recent years. 

Pages: 1 [2]