PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: 2018 British Open golf  (Read 205 times)

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
2018 British Open golf
« on: July 15, 2018, 01:46:52 PM »

My favorite 10 days of the golf year.  From Thursday of the Scottish Open (this weekend) to the final round Sunday at Carnoustie next weekend.  Love the week in between as well with all the features, stories and interviews surrounding the history of golf in Scotland and at Carnoustie. 

I also love waking up at the asscrack of dawn and watching major golf for those four days!
"there is a light that never goes out"

hs

• Hall of Fame
Re: 2018 British Open golf
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »

Well you will be getting up pretty early on Thursday! 1st tee off Thursday morning is at 1:35 AM and every 11 minutes after that until 11:16 AM.

I never really get into the British Open but I do keep an eye on it every now and again to check out the leaderboard and to see if they are having to deal with any weather related issues

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 11:00:50 AM »

I just enjoy seeing those links courses they play on.

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 04:56:59 PM »

Kevin Kisner fires a -5 to take first round lead.  Logjam between -2 and -4.  Plus tons of great players whole way back to +1 still in the picture.

The morning tee times definitely had the advantage today.  Today's afternoon players not only got the bad draw today, but they may tomorrow as well as it looks like wind and rain tomorrow morning when today's afternoon golfers tee off!

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 09:36:52 PM »

Kisner kept it together enough to share second round lead with Zach Johnson.  Xander Schauffele and Tommy Fleetwood both posted great rounds to be in the mix too.  As well as those four players, 13+ other players are within 4 shots of the lead, including notables Jordan Spieth, Ricky Fowler and Rory McIlroy. 

Between Golf Channel and NBC, live TV coverage is from 4:30 AM to 3 PM on Saturday!

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 10:36:38 PM »

Woods makes the cut with back to back Even Par Rounds.  First time he has posted back to back even or better rounds in a major in 5 years.

As mentioned he was one of the unlucky ones who played Thursday late when course was the toughest and early this AM in the rain.  Couple putts today just missed or he could be -3.  Just making the weekend and getting in rounds is great to see in this comeback as we aren't far removed from missed cuts, withdrawing, and chipping like I do on weekends.  He will need a good round in the morning to get into contention though.

I also agree that this is probably my favorite major because of the history, course types, and early start times.   
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1769-597 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 10:38:14 AM »

Tiger Woods is charging as he is -5 on his round and a shot back of the leaders.  Some of the leaders still have to tee off, but this is the kind of round Tiger needed to get back in this.  Maybe another birdie or two to finish before getting to the treacherous final 3 holes.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 06:23:53 PM »

Jordan Speith and 2 others tied for the lead at -9. Tiger 4 back at -5.

The fairways look like greens. Players are getting rolls of 90 yards and putting around bunkers.

They are expecting some weather to come in tomorrow so it should be a good finish

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 09:58:11 PM »

Tomorrow is gonna be great

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 12:12:48 AM »

Tomorrow is gonna be great

It sure is Nicky.  I love this course, you have the meandering canal running through, monster traps and the rough is really rough.  If you just go a little left or right on a tee shot, you're screwed! 

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 01:19:45 PM »

Tiger at one point had the solo lead but a 2 hole stretch of double bogey and bogey has him 2 shots back.  The golf course bit back today with the winds changing things.  Woods still has a shot but needs a birdie and his playing partner to bogey 18.

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 05:46:50 PM »

FORZA ITALIA!!!  Molinari plays virtually error free golf on Sat/Sun to with the 2018 British Open by two shots.  Tiger was awesome.  Probably wants that double bogey back, but still hung in there with the young guys pretty well. 

Golf itself is in good hands.  Spieth, Schauffele, Thomas, Fowler, Fleetwood, Pepperell, Finau, Olesen, Rory, Day, Rahm, Koepka, Reed, and Sharma are as good as any generation of golfers in the past at this point. 

PGA Championship is next Major, and that is weekend of August 9-12.