PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24

Author Topic: Pirates 2018 Season Pt 3  (Read 2611 times)

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
Re: Pirates 2018 Season Pt 3
« Reply #330 on: August 12, 2018, 01:36:20 PM »

Iím convinced the fans donít care about winning they only want to see more money spent on guys that have produced at the major league level. So that said, I donít think theyíll be impressed next season because they will go with at least one, possibly two, rookie middle infielders. The goalposts will always move on Nutting. Heís despised by the media and will never be given credit.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #331 on: August 12, 2018, 03:32:39 PM »

Huntington not doing his show today. The assistant is. Heís talking in circles without saying anything definite but I wonít be shocked if you see the Pirates go to a 6 man rotation next season. Seems that is definitely the direction the front office would prefer.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #332 on: August 12, 2018, 04:22:20 PM »

Iím convinced the fans donít care about winning they only want to see more money spent on guys that have produced at the major league level. So that said, I donít think theyíll be impressed next season because they will go with at least one, possibly two, rookie middle infielders. The goalposts will always move on Nutting. Heís despised by the media and will never be given credit.

This post above is exactly the reason there should be drug testing lmao smfh....wow

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #333 on: August 12, 2018, 04:33:36 PM »

Sorry that Iím a Bob Nutting fan. Heís a good guy that kept baseball here. Youíd think he was evil by how he is written and talked about.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #334 on: August 12, 2018, 06:48:47 PM »

I am not one of those fans

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #335 on: August 12, 2018, 07:03:43 PM »

Pirates lose today 4-3 to split the series with the Giants two games each. Pirates has a good two wins and a disappointing two losses in this series IMO. Wouldíve liked to see the Pirates win at least Three in this series against the struggling Giants but donít get me started on Hurdleís decision to give his starting pitchers a day of rest

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #336 on: August 12, 2018, 07:56:23 PM »

Sorry that Iím a Bob Nutting fan. Heís a good guy that kept baseball here. Youíd think he was evil by how he is written and talked about.

Nutting kept baseball here? Dude, seriously stop smoking the good stuff. Come on man! Lmao....

Frank Coonelly quote about Kevin McClatchy, the ACTUAL guy who saved baseball here.  "While the team didn't perform on the field the way Kevin would've hoped, is it not hyperbole to say that Kevin saved the Pirates for Pittsburgh and built the best stadium in all of Major League Baseball. The entire city and region should be indebted to Kevin for that."

Let's get that clarified on who saved baseball in the Burgh.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #338 on: August 13, 2018, 03:07:44 PM »

I am not one of those fans

When it comes to Mr. Nutting I'm as fair and balanced as it gets.

Fast who realize that is he a billionaire should also remember Ted Turner's reign with the Braves. "Billionaire Ted" as he was called ran all of his entities  (CNN, the Braves, WCW) as businesses. The Braves did spend (to keep their pitchers together mostly) but were not Yankee or Red Sox or Dodgers-like. When attendance went into decline in ATL he let his players go keeping really only Chipper Jones and Javier Lopez until his end.

Bf,

I agree about McClatchy 100%. But the narrative on him before Nutting was pretty much the same from the public after the terrible 2001 season at PNC Park...disguist. Fans RIPPED McClatchy for "lying" to them that with a new ballpark they would be contenders within 5 years or something like that. Basically the same rhetoric that fans use against Nutting (liar and cheap).

In all fairness Nutting is probably average to slightly below average, but perception will always work against him because of the Rooneys and Lemieux Group, two of the best ownership groups by far in pro sports. Compared to, say, Lemieux  (who has done EVERYTHING first class aside from the 2014 coach search) of course Nutting looks like a POS haha.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #339 on: August 13, 2018, 04:24:06 PM »

My only point about McClatchy was that he saved baseball in Pittsburgh, not Nutting.  That's all.

As for as comparing Ted Turner to Nutting, that's blasphemous to me.  During the 1990s, the Braves made their improbable run of 14 consecutive division championships. Turner was at the head of the organization, making sure John Schuerholz and Bobby Cox got the money and resources they needed to compete.
When the Braves began their run in the 90s, their payroll in 1991 was $20.4 million and was 20th of 26 teams. The next year in 1992, it jumped to 8th! During the mid 90s, the payroll skyrocketed to around $50 million. Most of this was out of Turner's generosity.

The Braves were perennially a top five spender every year until 2001.  Then from 2002-2005, they were 7th, 3rd, 8th and 10th in payroll while winning division titles. Turner and Time Warner made sure the team got what they needed, and it went a long way to securing them a playoff spot. He got out in 2007.

No bridge years, no financial flexibility or biometric data. Just an owner who wanted to provide management with the necessary resources to produce a winner.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #340 on: August 14, 2018, 05:43:53 PM »

Shane Baz completes the Archer deal. Donít think thatís a tough pill to swallow. He was minimum 5 years away the way the Pirates development goes. And I think there are a number of guys at that stage that are similar to him as far as potential to be a capable mlb starter. Bolton, MacGregor and Jennings all would be put in the same range to me.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #341 on: August 14, 2018, 05:49:55 PM »

Also, if they truly believe the starting pitchers work better with extra rest, have a 6 man rotation. Donít conveniently add a guy sometimes then tell us why you donít add him another time. Thatís my issue with their biometrics and analytics. I donít believe they use them for their intended purposes. I think they use them as an explanation to make unusual decisions or decisions that they feel would otherwise be controversial to fans.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #342 on: August 15, 2018, 08:35:04 AM »

Pirates with another disappointing loss last night losing to the Twins 5-2. Taillon pitched better than okay, gave up 3 runs and Rodriquez came in and gave up a 2 run homer in the 8th to seal the win for Minnesota. Pirates scored 2 in the second inning but was able to get nothing after that.

Marte is back to looking bad at the plate again. I haven't heard anything about how Meadows is doing in Tampa but oh well, Pirates (probably Hurdle) gave up on him too fast IMO. I did hear Glasnow is pitching really well for Tampa. Guess he just needed a change of scenery?   

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #343 on: August 15, 2018, 09:20:00 AM »

Polanco is looking even worse than Marte.  That Outfield that was carrying the offense during their run back into playoff contention is slumping right now.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1769-597 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #344 on: August 15, 2018, 10:35:43 AM »

Polanco is looking even worse than Marte.  That Outfield that was carrying the offense during their run back into playoff contention is slumping right now.

I can agree with this. Which is why I was saying many many weeks ago that they should not be giving up on Meadows so quickly and instead of that 4 outfielder rotation that Hurdle was using, I would've been starting Meadows over Polanco and even Marte at the time and looking to trade one of them if not both. Just my opinions at that time though
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24