PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette cutting back  (Read 133 times)

coach99

• Hall of Fame
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette cutting back
« on: June 27, 2018, 10:53:57 PM »

It was quietly announced that the PG will be cutting back to only five days of printing a newspaper.  They have eliminated some holidays awhile ago.  No info on which days they will not publish a paper.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
Re: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette cutting back
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:06:57 PM »

Several years back, the Patriot News in Harrisburg went to 3 days a week.  The paper, including the sports section completely sucks now.  I really think the days of printed news is about gone.  We still get the Patriot because we only pay a buck a week for the 3 days (Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday) and my wife wants them for the coupons and sales flyers.  As far as the actual paper, it takes me a couple of minutes to blow through it.  90% of the news in it I've already read somewhere on line.

yepper

• All State
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 10:29:10 PM »

Compared to York's two papers, the Patriot News looks like Pulitzer material.

gave up on the Daily Record years ago. They have a big blowup on the outfield wall of our minor league stadium that say 'Revs Win'. Well if they won on Friday, you wouldn't know about it from them until Sunday at the earliest.

The Dispatch recently announced their deadline for sports submissions will be 6 P.M.

so during football and basketball season, we say here in York that according to our newspapers it's like Friday never happened.

I love newspapers and will continue to subscribe to the Dispatch. News dept. still pretty good and wife likes the puzzles etc. In the morning with breakfast it just would not be the same. But as it has been mentioned, it looks like print editions are looking to commit suicide.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 10:45:11 PM »

I gave up on the Beaver County Times years ago. My wife was in between jobs and one of here friends delivered the paper in our neighborhood and talked her into it. After about a month of constant delays of the Beaver County Times dropping off the papers for her to deliver and people wanting their paper only put in certain areas even though they couldn't get up to shovel their snow, The BCT then wanted to charge the delivery people for the bags to put the papers in. Now they can't get anybody to deliver the paper for them so who knows when you will get your paper in my area so I gave it up

Not gonna make it too far when you treat your workers and customers like dirt

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 12:00:07 AM »

The sports section in the Patriot on Thursday was a whopping 6 pages.  Basically stuff off the wires.  Zero coverage of local legion or sandlot ball, which they used to cover and do a great job.  I now just go to the East and West Shore Twilight websites to get the scores, standings and schedules.  Same with Legion.  Fortunately all have good websites so, I can still catch games and read about them.  If it wouldn't be for the flyers and coupons, we wouldn't even waste our money.  But, with the one local grocery store flyer on Thursday, I saved enough to pay for the paper for the year!  lol  They had cans of Maxwell House coffee on sale for $1.77 each, normally $3.79.  I bought 20 cans, which saved us $40.  They also had 32 packs of bottled water for $1.99, normally $3.99.  Bought 10 of those, saving another $20.  So essentially I paid for the paper for a year, plus a $10 profit.  We also load up on chicken breasts when they put them on sale for $1.49 a pound and freeze them.  Same way with beef and pork.  So basically, it's just a shopping tool to save money, not a newspaper!!  ;D ;D

yepper

• All State
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 08:39:08 AM »

careful there Downriver, all that coffee in the house could get you amped up!

for many years I subscribed to the Wall Street Journal. only stopped getting it because I didn't have time to read it.  If I was up late enough, maybe 11:30 or so, I could hear it land in my front porch.

so the market would close, they would get it printed, distributed, into the hands of their carriers and to me all before midnight. now in the new digital age, the deadline gets earlier and earlier. no more 'stop the presses'.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 10:42:09 AM »

I know the PG and other papers have their on line edition, but it is not the same as having that paper in your hand. I will keep getting the home delivery till they stop that..or can't find any drivers who are now losing two days pay.  When the Trib stopped home delivery, I would pick it up at the store till they stopped sending into our region.  I get the Washington Observer daily at home. It does a nice job on reporting on the local (Washington and Greene counties)sports and we live close enough in Southern Allegheny county to find the news interesting and useful. They give a boat load of coupons, etc in their Sunday edition, too.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 12:09:39 PM »

OK, this time of year a few years back the Patriot News sports section was 24-28 pages.  Tons of local summer sports as well as articles on what the local football teams were doing over the summer, etc.  Yesterday, it was 8 pages and 90% of the articles were pulled off the AP wire service.  I already read that stuff on ESPN and other sites. 

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 03:02:55 PM »

I remember when I made trips out to Hershey for coaches association, I always looked forward to reading the Patriot and amazed at the coverage for all the local high school sports. Met with Ronnie Christ a number of times at our conventions/ clinics and Big 33.  I guess Ronnie was the heart of the high school coverage back in the day.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 03:22:58 PM »

I remember when I made trips out to Hershey for coaches association, I always looked forward to reading the Patriot and amazed at the coverage for all the local high school sports. Met with Ronnie Christ a number of times at our conventions/ clinics and Big 33.  I guess Ronnie was the heart of the high school coverage back in the day.

Coach Ronnie was the driving force but there were 6-8 other reporters that were all top shelf as well and that continued until about 5 years ago when they drove them all out.  Used to love it back in the day.  We'd catch a ball game on Friday night and then head over to the Iron Kettle bar in Camp Hill.  Ronnie would always come in as soon as he finished his story for the Saturday paper and we'd talk sports well past last call.   The owner was a big sports fan and he'd just make sure he knew everyone and lock up and we'd continue drinking and talking sports, sometimes it would be 5 AM and the bread guy was delivering and we knew it was time to leave. lol

yepper

• All State
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 08:04:25 PM »

speaking of local sports, does the Smallwood Summer League still exist or did that get sucked up by Spooky Nook also?

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 11:37:08 AM »

speaking of local sports, does the Smallwood Summer League still exist or did that get sucked up by Spooky Nook also?

It's still around Yepper.  My oldest son lives in Bellevue Park, right down from Harrisburg High and I go over to his place and we walk up to games every year.  They had over 30 teams last year, and probably will have about the same this year.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 03:24:57 PM »

A few days ago I saw some stats that showed while print advertizing was down, it's still in 34B range while online ads are up, but still only generate about 1.5B in revenue. It's obvious newspapers can't exist as online only entities. The advertizing $s just aren't there. The answer is to be subscription-based, but the newspaper has to offer something other than AP/wire service stories. If you keep cutting staff and being chintzy with pay for the remaining staff, no one is going to be interested in subscribing. That's where the PG is now because Block Jr and his brother have run it into the ground.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 11:23:40 PM »

I’d be a fairly greedy capitalist if I ran a paper like the post gazette. They are the last man standing in town. People like my father are literally addicted to reading his newspaper every morning. Just gouge them while the market still exists.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 11:25:53 PM by BALDWINTRACK »

yepper

• All State
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 03:09:14 PM »

York dispatch, owned by Gannett, increased their monthly from 20 to 30 a few months ago.

yes I'm still paying.