PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Baldwin Removes AD, Won’t Fill Position  (Read 1131 times)

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
Baldwin Removes AD, Won’t Fill Position
« on: June 13, 2018, 09:25:50 PM »

In an effort to bridge a $1million budget deficit, Baldwin has decided to get rid of athletic director Vince Sortino and his $125,000 salary.

Won’t express any personal opinions on the matter. They are mixed and would basically talk in circles. Just want to get some thoughts.

Buck44

• Jr. Varsity
Re: Baldwin Removes AD, Won’t Fill Position
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:38:27 PM »

I guess it is possible to run an athletic department with someone who is a half-time principal, half time AD (which is what Baldwin is attempting to do), especially at a school the size of Baldwin. This is an absolute joke. This has nothing to do with money, everything to do with the superintendent/board personally not liking him.. I know that the rankings are considered a little bogus by some but, in the latest rankings of the top 50 schools for athletics in Pa, Baldwin ranked 36th. That is a ranking involving every school in the state, not just the 5A that Baldwin is in. On top of that, as a coach, he takes the softball team to the state semis this year. With the facility upgrades that he has made and the success of the overall athletic department(save for maybe football), I think he deserves a little more credit. Tough to justify this one.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 10:41:02 PM »

Just another stupid move by a school board that has no idea what is involved with the AD job. So, they are going to save money by dividing up the duties among their administrators?  Seems then that the administrators don't have enough to do so maybe getting rid of a few of them would save more money than getting rid of one person.  BTW, the adminsitrator that is going to schedule buses for teams to travel then cancel them due to weather, etc....what should he/she be doing for the district while doing that? Just some jerks on the board trying to impress taxpayers they are saving them money.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 12:54:55 PM »

Sortino was appointed to the position by a former, now very unpopular, school board member. That probably plays a larger role in this situation than anything else.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 09:18:53 PM »

Sortino was appointed to the position by a former, now very unpopular, school board member. That probably plays a larger role in this situation than anything else.

I agree..most people get elected to the school board with their own agenda..which usually has little to do with improving the district.  More like based on a long memory of a perceived slight toward their kid years ago.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 10:06:35 PM »

The perception in Baldwin is that the majority of the current school board has been elected to undo what Marty Schmotzer had done while he was on board. Some of their decisions have been worthwhile, others not so much. But the agenda is evident. Same as some of his ideas were good and others ranging from not good (lowering taxes to the point of a financial crisis), or illegal (appointing himself to a phony paid position).

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 09:24:41 PM »

As someone mentioned because of the school size (as well as the number of athletic programs) this does not make much sense.

I could see a school that, say, only offers football and men's and women's hoops saving money by eliminating the AD and letting some other administrator combined with the coaches do the tasks involved, but Baldwin offers probably as many sports as anyone save for the North Alleghenys of the world.

Batavia

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 11:18:20 PM »

Pretty sure AD at Gateway has been half-time for several years. 125K for an AD is a bit steep in my view. Times are changing. Districts are falling behind financially. Athletics are in for continued cuts going forward. Just the reality of it.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 11:20:19 PM by Batavia »

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 08:55:03 AM »

Pretty sure AD at Gateway has been half-time for several years. 125K for an AD is a bit steep in my view. Times are changing. Districts are falling behind financially. Athletics are in for continued cuts going forward. Just the reality of it.

I'm not disputing that $125k is high. I guess I maybe misunderstood the original post. Is Baldwin outright eliminating the AD position and letting other administrators run it? Or are they bringing in someone cheaper/possibly part time? Going to part time or cheaper does not bother me. Eliminating the position all together bothers me.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 11:31:23 AM »

From what I understand, the entire job of AD was eliminated (at this time) and the duties will be spread among the administrators.  If they have enough administrators to handle all the aspects of the job when divided...then they have TOO MANY ADMINISTRATORS!

Batavia

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 04:45:59 PM »

Personally, I never saw the job of AD at any school to be that intense - and I don't mean any disrespect by that. I am sure the folks who have had those jobs have done what was asked of them. Public schools have done things a certain way for many years. I think the "model" is changing, as it does with all organizations. Someone or some group of people will have to assume the duties of the AD. Maybe it will work, maybe not. But as long as the duties are assumed by others, I don't think it can be said that the job can't be eliminated. Time will tell.

As for Mr. Sciortino, I met him on a couple of occasions and he seemed to me to be a great guy and a great representative of Baldwin SD.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 07:29:33 PM »

Let's just take fall season.  Okay, WPIAL supplies schedules for varsity teams, but many need to find non section games. What sports do we have?  Football, B and G Soccer, B and G cross country, Golf, Girls Volleyball. There are games every day of the week. JV and 9th in many cases. Home games make sure fields/gym are ready. Game workers to assign..tickets and money to account for. Security in place. Make sure locker rooms ready for visiting players. Officials assigned for games and checks ready.Put in an appearance at each event. This involves night time  hours.  Away games you have to have buses scheduled and on time. Drivers know how to get to the correct venue. If a bus must drop off a team and leave, make sure another bus will te there to pick up the team and not leave them stranded.
Spring sports with weather cancellations pose other problems for rescheduling, etc. Some days will go smoothly and look like AD is not doing anything.  That is what the school board sees.

Jerry

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 09:32:01 PM »

The WPIAL makes up schedules, but in the east and every where else most AD's put in more hours than a basketball and football coach combined. Coach99 hit on most of the jobs but they are busy and most if not all have assistants and sometimes two and still have trouble keeping up.

FHS15473

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 05:04:05 PM »

Was the Baldwin guy on his own or did he have assistants and secretaries?

City League Advocate

• Cum Dracone et Draco Semper
  • Administrator
  • All State
  • Sorry, I'm full up on Goddesses.
    • The Moonlight Scribbler
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 11:36:56 AM »

I have a feeling this is going to backfire most spectacularly. Baldwin isn't like a Clairton or a Wilkinsburg with a handful of sports. That district has a pretty big athletic department. They need a dedicated  AD.
Pages: [1] 2