PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: 9 out of 10 WPIAL schools favor separate playoffs  (Read 4064 times)

SteamRollers1

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
Re: 9 out of 10 WPIAL schools favor separate playoffs
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2018, 07:24:19 AM »

The PIAA will be inundated with law suits and they'll just cave in again because they can't afford the litigation. Their latest "actions" are nothing more than band-aids and hot air.
State Football Champions:
1907, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1948, 1978, 1982, 2007 & 2008.
State Basketball Champions:
1927, 1992, 1998, 2000, 2005 & 2008

Husky68

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2018, 09:47:41 AM »

You're right SteamRoller1.  And to be fair to the PIAA they would be foolish to go to court knowing they were going to lose (both the case and the money it cost to pursue it.)  Look at their history trying to defend eligibility decisions. 

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2018, 11:44:09 AM »

Steamers and Husky, I don't believe the PIAA will have any trouble defending this in court the way the rule is worded.  First, they are not stopping the player from participating in the regular season, just the playoffs.  Second, the rule reads "the transfer was necessitated by exceptional and unusual circumstances and that imposing the restriction would create a particular hardship to the student.  Such exceptional circumstances do not include academic needs and desires, or for developmental, spiritual, and/or social reasons.  A change in residence necessitated by a change in employment by a parent may qualify.  By allowing the student to participate during the regular season, the parents would be hard pressed to show any damage, ie: college recruiting, etc.  What it will do is stop school shopping and cause parents to plan better.  If they feel another school will best showcase their kid, they just have to make the transfer happen before the end of their sophomore season.  Since this was passed by a huge majority, coaches are going to be a lot less receptive to even having these kids on the team knowing they won't have them for the playoffs and it will screw up team chemistry.  Even if these kids are allowed on the team, coaches may keep them on the bench the majority of the time and no parent has ever won a lawsuit over playing time. 

Being a Middletown and Steel-High fan, I've seen transfers benefit the teams I follow that wouldn't be eligible.  The most blatant recent one was Middletown's new back for this year, Richie Sikes who's already enrolled, so the rule doesn't affect him.  Last year playing for a bad Red Land team, Sikes had monster games against teams as bad as Red Land.  But, when he played a McDevitt or Lower Dauphin, they'd just overwhelm Red Land's offensive line and shut him down.  His parents transferred him to Middletown which is a ground oriented team that rushes for over 300 yards a game and has a veteran offensive line.  Sikes obviously, will get a ton of playing time for the Raiders this season.  Knowing the staff, had this transfer taken place after the rule was in place, I'd guess he would have seen limited playing time because they wouldn't have him for the playoffs. 

As I stated earlier, I think the fact that kids will be allowed technically to play the regular season, the parents will be hard pressed to show that not being able to be in the playoffs will harm their academic needs and desires, or for developmental, spiritual, and/or social reasons.  Thus, filing a suit will be costly for the parents and their chances of winning may make them think twice about even trying.  Plus, the PIAA only has to win once to establish a precedent, which will make future suits even tougher to bring.

Husky68

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2018, 06:35:27 PM »

DR, you may be right but let me throw out two very real possibilities.  Let's say a kid is a basketball player and the family moves in from out of state because his parent(s) gets a job at the Med Center or Hershey Foods.  They get an apartment in the LD school district a week before the kid starts 11th grade.  He plays that year for LD-no problem.  Over the summer they buy a house in Derry Twp. so he will go to Hershey as a senior.  Is it fair that he doesn't get to accompany his Hershey team to the playoffs if they make it his senior year?  Second scenario.  Parents are divorced and the kid lives with his mom in the CD district.  She remarries over the summer and moves out of state.  The kid wants to stay in Penna. so he moves in with his dad, who is in the Susquehanna district.  Does he get to go to the playoffs with the Indians?  If the answer to either of these situations is "no" they may be throwing out the baby with the bath water because, at least in my opinion, no one should have a problem with either kid participating in the playoffs.  It doesn't seem right to punish "innocent" kids just because there are people out there trying to "cheat the system."  And rest assured that as soon as a few "exceptional circumstances" have been approved very similar "circumstances" will start popping up like weeds in my lawn in August.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2018, 06:54:16 PM »

My two cents Husky.  First if the kid is a football player, he wouldn't have to worry about the playoffs if he transferred to Hershey. LOL  Seriously though, If the parents were that concerned about where he was going to play, I'd say they should get an apartment in the school district they want to buy.  If not, the rule is the rule. 

The second scenario is actually addressed in the rule and it states "a change of residence resulting from a family separation, unless court approved".  which essentially would mean the mother had primary custody and the mom and dad went to court to transfer custody to the dad.  Under those circumstances, the kid would be eligible.  Otherwise you'd have people claiming they were separated, getting apartments in the school district of their choice, like the old days or just using a relative's address.  We used that one for my grandson a few years ago.  He was living with us in Camp Hill but wanted to play at Steel-High with the kids he grew up with, so we just used his other grandparents address!

I still believe that allowing kids to play the regular season but not the playoffs will stop a lot of the transfers.  We'll sure see soon enough.

SteamRollers1

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame

SteamRollers1

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2018, 03:53:47 PM »

Husky68

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2018, 05:09:27 PM »

The meeting at SC seems to have a sentiment to separate the boundary schools from the non-boundary schools.  So I have a question concerning a few schools that I follow in basketball.  Two of Lower Dauphin's top seven players played at other schools in the area the previous year.  Two of Coatesville's top seven played at other schools in the Chesmont the previous year and Bishop Shanahan had a player who was at Coatesville the prior season.  And there should be a shuttle running for Harrisburg, Susquehanna, CD, CD East and Steel HIgh.  I'm sure that people from other parts of the state could come up with numerous incidents.  So my question is, will these teams play in the boundary or non-boundary playoffs.  Another thought.  To the best of my knowledge Neumann-Goretti, which has won seven state titles in the last eight years, has not had any junior transfers on those teams.  And they are one of those big, bad Philadelphia outlaw schools that are robbing our clean-cut American kids of their rightful titles, scholarships and professional careers.  Somewhere Abe Everhart and Ed McCluskey must be turning over in their graves watching the once great WPIAL leading this effort.

SteamRollers1

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2018, 09:02:05 PM »

It’s definitely unfair to blame the PIAA or to even be critical of them having not done enough.

They are by no means perfect. But, in this instance, I think they are just doing what the laws suggest. Their existence actually depends upon it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]