PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Anthony Bourdain  (Read 141 times)

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
Anthony Bourdain
« on: June 08, 2018, 09:29:45 AM »

Passed early this morning at age 61.  Suicide by hanging in France.  Was filming a new episode with his best friend and renown NYC chef Eric Ripert, who owns Le Bernardin in NYC.  Ripert found the body in AB's room. 

I've often posted about AB on the various forums here.  A few of his European episodes:  in Paris, Spain, Rome, Emilia-Romagna, the Croatian Coast, Marsailles, and Nice.....are some of the best culinary/foodie/wine based programs ever aired on television.  He always showed a slice of old European culture/cuisine most of us would otherswise never see or experience. 

"there is a light that never goes out"

coach99

• Hall of Fame
Re: Anthony Bourdain
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 11:21:50 AM »

Many of these types of celebs lead very lonely lives away from the camera. He traveled the world over, but probably had few, if any, solid roots. He knew hundreds of people who were friends, but then after a few days he leaves them and is off to another place.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 01:14:43 PM »

He was an interesting character. He definitely did not get along with many other celebrity chefs of this era (just Google "Anthony Bourdain enemies") and it seemingly reads like Richard Nixon's enemies list (includes is Guy Fieri, Rachel Ray, Wolfgang Puck, Gordon Ramsay, and others). These were not even alleged feuds, they truly were feuds.

I have been reading and hearing a lot these past two days. It is impossible to guess as to "why" in any of these situations if drugs or diagnosed depression is not involved (which I have seen neither regarding him?) RIP Anthony.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:41:38 AM by yannessa_is_god »

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 05:18:02 PM »

Lots of good remembrances of him over the past few days regarding his compassion and humility to those in some of the poorest of areas. In some ways an ambassador of good will on behalf of the US. Again just an interesting individual.

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 09:19:14 PM »

CNN played the episode from Marsaille, France last night.  Marsaille was one of the shows he filmed with his best friend Eric Ripert, who was also filming with him at the time of his death in Strasbourg, France.

Some of his shows veered off into social/world issues.  Marsaille was just a great foodie episode.  Seafood, cheese, wine, fresh fruits/veggies, crusty bread, charcuterie.  Bourdain/Ripert eating it all for the entire hour. 

Both CNN/Travel Channel are playing lots of past episodes of both No Reservations and Parts Unknown. 

If you can find them, my personal favorite strictly "foodie" episodes with the best/most culinary features, in no order - are Marsaille (France), Porto (Portugal), Lyon (France), Emilia-Romagna (Italy), Quebec, Paris, the Croatian Coast, Prague, Vienna, Sicily, the Greek Islands, The Bronx, Hanoi and the El Bulli show from Roses, Spain. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:27:16 PM by Nicky »
"there is a light that never goes out"

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 11:43:43 PM »

Just watched the Hanoi show again last night.  When he and Obama talked about the smells, it brought back memories of my times in Vietnam.  Other than people shooting at me back then, the food was dynamite.  One day I would like to go back and explore some of the places I was in back then.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 12:12:22 AM »

Chris Moore, a local Pittsburgh radio/tv personality, made a trip back to Vietnam where he was a truck driver in the Army.  He had a group of vets  with him and they had a filmed documentary made of it that was played on PBS (WQED) in Pittsburgh. Might be interesting for you to watch. Probably available though PBS or the WQED store. They have repeated it a few times. Being a truck driver, he was not out in the jungles experiencing that kind of fighting.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 06:09:31 AM »

I enjoyed that show featuring Moore. And generally like his style as a talkshow host. He normally lets the caller finish making his point, even when they do not agree.