PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Travelling culinary/beverage thread  (Read 110 times)

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
Travelling culinary/beverage thread
« on: May 09, 2018, 06:04:51 PM »

OK...kind of a different topic but one I think would be interesting to read the posts about.

Use this thread to share all the great meals/drinks you enjoy while away from home - whether traveling for work or vacation.  Could be an East Coast beach/boardwalk, a Florida destination, the Caribbean, a trek to the Atlantic northeast or a business trip to a big metropolitan city. 

Share all you fav local meals/drinks/destinations in whichever cities you travel to, in case the rest of us may be heading there too someday!  Especially with summer vacation season on our doorstep. 
"there is a light that never goes out"

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
Re: Travelling culinary/beverage thread
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 06:53:17 PM »

OK, I'll bite(pun intended).  I worked for a National Corporation for years and had staff around the country.  I was based out of Harrisburg but, also had a large staff in the one Gateway building on Commonwealth Ave. in Pittsburgh, where I worked at least 4 or 5 days each month.  One of the Directors that worked for me was an old Aliquippa guy who knew every inch of the city.  I always stayed at the Hilton which was just up the street from the office.  Anyway, he showed me a ton of old school local bars with great food within walking distance and also what places I could go using the subway.  I swear I gained 10 pounds every trip.  lol  Then, one time I mentioned all these places to my wife and she decided to go along and do some shopping.  Well, first she hit Kaufmann's and then discovered all the little shops in Station Square.  Her first trip with me she bought so much stuff, I wasn't sure if I could get it in the car.  She laughed and said "no problem.  I talked to the shipping department and they'll UPS everything and you can reimburse them".  Needless to say after that, I tried to fly solo.   ;D ;D

But, my point was, I love finding the little out of the way dives and local pubs with great food and beer anywhere I travel.  Pittsburgh has some real gems. 

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 10:14:07 AM »

Leaving for 2 days in Williamsburg, VA and then 7 days in Corolla, in the northern Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Williamsburg means dinner on Friday night at Captain George's All You Can Eat Seafood Buffet in Williamsburg before the trek to OBX on Saturday morning!!!

Our Captain George's dinner every June on way to OBX is a culinary highlight for me every year.  Will post an update Friday night back in hotel room!

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:28:12 PM »

A number of years ago on a trip to the DelMar peninsula we stayed in a little town between Rehoboth and Bethany Beach.  A very 'down scale' place but where the locals and younger tourist would go and party. There was a true 'crab shack' on the side of the road. You went up to the window got your order of fresh cooked crabs..they handed you a wooden mallet and roll of paper towels and you sat at an old wooden picnic table.  When you were done there was a an old sink on side of building to wash your hands and face.  I will think of the name of the town as soon as I post this haha ...Dewey Beach ;)

Jerry

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 12:03:54 AM »

I was going to say Dewey Beach but you beat me to it. Great little place as you say. Quite a few good places to eat, can't remember the names now anymore but stayed there a lot. There was a eatery called Starboard. Ate breakfast there every time down there. They were famous for their hot sauces. Bottles lined all through out the place. But the hot sauces belonged to Peppers right next door. I don't like hot sauce but they had the biggest selection in the world over there.

http://www.beachpaper.com/article/starboard-50-plus-years-fun-food-friendship/112322

http://www.peppers.com/

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 07:26:38 PM »

Lived in Norfolk Virginia for a little while back in 1990 when I was in the Navy and there was place called the Great Steak that was fabulous. All you can eat salad and potato bar and you picked your steak out of a huge cooler from a small petite cut to a monster cut and they had a huge grill in the back that you would go back and cook your own steak. I'm sure they had an option that the would cook it for you but I never asked. Always fun to go back and cook your own steak and converse with all the people. Of course you always had that 1 guy who had a few too many that would always want to talk to you because he knew how to cook a steak better than you.

But it was an awesome restaurant, great atmosphere and a lot of fun. Who knows if it is still there but worth a look up if you are in the area   

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 08:15:52 PM »

My grandaughter just graduated from Gettysburg College, so we had a number of trips there the past four years.  Always enjoyed eating at the Lincoln Diner...the college fav place to eat in downtown Gettysburg. One thing we always did when out that way was to stock up on Birch Beer.  Can't seem to find anything like it here in Western Pa. Must have been a Pa. Dutch thing.

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 11:22:04 PM »

Captain George's was great.  So many trips of crab legs.  Other seafood was good too.  Now for 7 days in OBX!

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 09:38:43 AM »

There are about a hundred places I can list for New Orleans but 1 I would recommend highly is Cooter Browns. You have to take one of the street cars to get to it as it is a little out away from the French Quarter where all the hustle and noise is but you go through some nice sights to get to it and it is only about a 5 minute ride. They were also highlighted on the Travel Channel on one of their food shows as a place to visit and it is worth it. Prices are cheap and you get a ton of food. One catch though. If you have children under 21 (which I did) they are not allowed inside but they do have tables outside to eat. You walk in and people are cooking the food right on your right and the rest of the place is all the bar room. Great place to eat