PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: 9 out of 10 WPIAL schools favor separate playoffs  (Read 2394 times)

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
Re: 9 out of 10 WPIAL schools favor separate playoffs
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 10:41:06 PM »

And the opposite is true for Fayette County-- one too few schools! Uniontown school district extends all the way to Ohiopyle... a 35min drive to the highschool. The kids get on the bus at 5:45am.

Yep.  We only have 6 public schools and yet some people still think some of the districts should consolidate.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1769-597 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

green

• Varsity
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 12:03:06 AM »

Talk about the time kids have to catch the bus, what time does some Ligonier Valley students get the bus? They have more square miles, and possibly even Yough.  has more square miles than Hempfield. Have you noticed in the  TV news that some schools are starting later now because they have facts that prove that starting school later gives students the sleep they need to do well in school.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 10:58:44 AM »

Talk about the time kids have to catch the bus, what time does some Ligonier Valley students get the bus? They have more square miles, and possibly even Yough.  has more square miles than Hempfield. Have you noticed in the  TV news that some schools are starting later now because they have facts that prove that starting school later gives students the sleep they need to do well in school.
When the change to later starting times comes up, many students oppose this due to working. School will end too late for after school job.  They would rather sleep in class in the morning than miss going to work. Many working parents don't want their kids to not leave for school before the parent has to leave, too. Afraid of skipping once they are alone in the house..or worse.  Also, effect on practices after school and starting times of games.  Everything seems to wag the tail of education today.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 01:44:18 PM »

green,

I have heard that study and have always felt that Elementary School starting latest and High School the earliest was always @$$  ackwards for that simple reason that young kids tend to be early birds (waking up at 7:30 is sleeping in) vs high schoolers having to be at school at 7:30 when students that age sleep in on the weekends and in the summer.

Coach99, good point about working and/or skipping but my guess is that a strong majority of high school kids do not work and regarding the skipping those who really really want to will find a way (after football my senior year I skipped probably twice a month just because I could lol).

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2018, 10:59:09 AM »

There more high school kids working after school jobs than you would believe. Many parents feel that having a job 'teaches responsibility'.  What it teaches is kids hating to work. Many kids have to work if they want a car or to pay for their car insurance, that many parents make them do.  One reason for a drop in sports participation is the kids working. And, they move from one job to the other..working a  Paneras one week and then find out they are now at Wendy's and so forth.I always laughed at one kids explanation when I asked him why he was working. He said "so I can pay for my car."  And I said, "why do you need a car?"  He answered, "to get to work'

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2018, 11:29:52 AM »

Learning to hate work is a valuable lesson, most aren't gonna enjoy their job and it leads to understanding the value of money. Kids dont spend the money they earn the same way they spend the cash from mommy's purse or daddy's pocket, they cherish it a little more, think about what they are gonna spend it on a little more. At least that's been my experience with the 2 that have survived til working age so far.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2018, 01:36:32 PM »

I got a job my junior year of high school (Aug of 97) and have been there ever since.  Just moved my way up the ladder to where I am a manager/supervisor with the most seniority.  I never learned to hate work and just accepted it as something I had to do if I wanted to buy things and now support my family.

First paycheck I got I put a deposit down on a set of golf clubs. I will say that I did get the job so I could pay for car insurance and gas.  I wanted to car so I could go to basketball and football games. 
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1769-597 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

City League Advocate

• Cum Dracone et Draco Semper
  • Administrator
  • All State
  • Sorry, I'm full up on Goddesses.
    • The Moonlight Scribbler
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 07:17:36 AM »

I wonder how many of the schools who were surveyed were City League schools with teams in the WPIAL? And how they voted? 4 of the Pittsburgh Public high schools have teams in the WPIAL to varying degrees. Allderdice has the majority of its sports teams in the WPIAL. Like ten or more teams out of 16.  All PPS schools play in the City League only in a handful of sports: Football, basketball, track, wrestling. Obama plays volleyball in the WPIAL, all the others play in the City League. I wonder how the WPIAL moving out of the PIAA would affect them?  Except for basketball, most City League schools make little impact in the PIAA playoffs, so it may not affect them much at all.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2018, 10:06:50 AM »

What is with all this talk of WPIAL dropping out of PIAA?  That ain't ever gonna happen. BTW, I believe the state legislature forced the PIAA to take in the Catholic and Private schools and a speical 'law' said that Central Catholic (which is in District 8) must be placed in the WPIAL..actually the wording did not state PCC by name, but the law was written so that it would only apply to them at the time. So, I am not sure if the PIAA can do anything about setting up separate 'leagues' like the old days.

Jerry

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 11:45:12 AM »

100% on the money. In fact PCC went into PIAA a year later than most Catholic schools did.

SmokeyBear915

• Jr. Varsity
  • "Everything Happens For A Reason"
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 10:53:02 AM »

I think some of the smaller school districts will end up merging within the next 5 years. This will force the WPIAL to adjust.

I agree, public schools should have their own playoffs and private schools have their own playoffs then have the champs meet.

Could still schedule cross over games between the two.

It would make the playing field more equal as public school would have only athletes from their district boundary lines and the private schools have no boundaries.
You play to win the game!

High School Charlie

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 12:44:44 PM »

I think everyone should be careful for what they wish for... Public and Private.

Jerry

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 10:24:00 PM »

I think some of the smaller school districts will end up merging within the next 5 years. This will force the WPIAL to adjust.

I agree, public schools should have their own playoffs and private schools have their own playoffs then have the champs meet.

It would make the playing field more equal as public school would have only athletes from their district boundary lines and the private schools have no boundaries.

Who ever gave you that line is way, way off. Many many public schools, especially ones that are almost always in at least the basketball final 16 have kids from two to four different school districts. No one really cares about that though so they don't complain.

High School Charlie

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 08:49:36 AM »

Who ever gave you that line is way, way off. Many many public schools, especially ones that are almost always in at least the basketball final 16 have kids from two to four different school districts. No one really cares about that though so they don't complain.

Jerry... I agree... even the public State champs from this past year and last had many transfers that "moved into the district"

And could you see something happen to say if they move to different playoffs... The privates all say "forget this" and take themselves out of everything. Why be apart of something during the regular season if public schools don't want to play privates in the playoffs... this could open a can of worms. I see Privates (once out in their own league) really recruiting and really offering scholarships, taking all kinds of players.  Just my thoughts...

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 02:49:01 PM »

I think everyone should be careful for what they wish for... Public and Private.

Agreed 100%. Certainly at least in Western PA no change here would be fine. I realize that it gets tough in states sometimes (the WPIAL 4A champ vs ECP is a tough match for instance) but again what Catholic or private school dominates the WPIAL at football? PCC wins occasionally. CWNC is probably the next best program but how many titles do they have over the last few decades. SLS is a good traditional program but no titles recently. GCC is down right now after a good 2000s decade. Serra is up and down but seemingly down more often than up. Imani has zero championships.  SSA has been irrelevant since Art Sr. retired. OLSH. Then you have the likes of Geibel haha.

Especially in this 6A era where Central Catholic is not really blocking anyone other than they are the only thing between Pine Richland (who actually has transfers in most years) winning 6A every single year.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5