PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: J&T's Custard closed after 69 years in business  (Read 187 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
J&T's Custard closed after 69 years in business
« on: April 11, 2018, 02:31:05 PM »

This is probably a Beaver County thing, but J&T's custard in North Sewickley Twp closed. I discovered it only a few years ago after being a Hank's aficianado. They made the better custard and my favorite, butterscotch that Hank's never makes now. Nothing stays the same, but I'll miss the ride over on a nice sunny evening for the best custard in Beaver County.

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
Re: J&T's Custard closed after 69 years in business
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 07:52:41 PM »

Been going there my whole life, it was my grandfather's favorite custard/ice cream stand. My grandpa used to take all 6 of his kids there in his station wagon and my mom has a few photos.  You can still get it at Dewitt and Donna's son's shop in New Castle. It's not called J&T's, cant remember the name, something drive-in. Don't go on Wednesdays, they're closed

Many times went chasing thunderstorms with my pap and we ended up at J&Ts and when I got older after we went golfing.

If I knew this was coming I would of made the drive more last year instead of Hank's or Brusters, I think I stopped twice last year after fishing at Lake Arthur and once after fishing in Wurtemburg.

Jams' in New Castle is good too. ex-Vice principal at the middle school tried to open a franchise in BF late 1990s, it didn't work out, lasted like a year
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:54:36 PM by Tiger4Lyfe »

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 03:11:11 AM »

Forbush's is the place in New Castle, but I'll just go back to Hank's for custard.

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 07:49:43 PM »

Forbush, that's it. Only been there once. Had butter pecan and it was excellent

I'm not sure how I feel about Hank's anymore. Some of their more complex("gourmet flavors") flavors are definitely not custard, it's ice cream and exactly the same as other stands,  and the tacos have took a dip in quality but overall the mexican menu is better. The steak burrito is good. I liked the deep fried pickles too.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:53:34 PM by Tiger4Lyfe »

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 08:08:40 AM »

Forbush, that's it. Only been there once. Had butter pecan and it was excellent

I'm not sure how I feel about Hank's anymore. Some of their more complex("gourmet flavors") flavors are definitely not custard, it's ice cream and exactly the same as other stands,  and the tacos have took a dip in quality but overall the mexican menu is better. The steak burrito is good. I liked the deep fried pickles too.

I agree about the quality of Hank's. Used to take my kids there when they were little and had little league baseball games in the area and it was really good. Now it seems the quality has really dived. Wish I would've known about this J&T's custard. Sounds like it was really good

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 10:32:40 AM »

Hanks is good if you stick to like the flavor of the day. That is if you are expecting custard, custard is much softer. Both Hanks and J&Ts made/make custard.

J&Ts was on Mercer Road/65 and was just before you start going down the hill to where the Connoquenessing Country Club and Riverside high school's access road or if you keep going straight you go right into Ellwood City. Pretty far drive even from BF but J & T's was worth it.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 05:20:46 PM »

J&T's was a nice drive to make on a Saturday or Sunday evening for custard. It's not that far from BF, just a hop across the Eastvale Bridge.

Hank's is more of a food than ice cream place now. The BF Kohlman's own it and Jerry's, too, iirc. I think the basic chocolate, vanilla, black raspberry, butter pecan, pistacio are still custard, but I don't think the other flavors are. Personally, I prefer water ice and was disappointed when the Rita's out in Chippewa closed after only being open a couple of years.

I'm kind of surprised the son who runs Forbush's didn't return to take over the stand in North Sewickley from his parents.