PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Amusement Parks  (Read 527 times)

Falcons01

• Varsity
Amusement Parks
« on: March 07, 2018, 07:57:54 PM »

Amusement Park season will be ramping up in a couple months.

I figured I would start a thread in case some others enjoy going to these places.

What parks do you enjoy?  Where do you want to go?  Favorite Coasters?  Any new attraction rumors?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:01:59 PM by Falcons01 »

Falcons01

• Varsity
Re: Amusement Parks
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 08:01:13 PM »

I am a huge coaster fan but over the last several years, I didn't go to many amusement parks.  My wife isn't a rider so it rarely pays me to take her and I don't know many others who enjoy riding.

We will be going to Cedar Point in June.  They are doing a mile run, 5K, and half marathon at the park and for the price of the race you get a 3 day park pass for the entire weekend.  I have not been to Cedar Point since probably year 2000.  I hate going there especially on the weekend due to lines but supposedly the park isnt as crowded for this weekend event.  Plus you get early access over the public so it should allow you to get a couple of the big time rides before lines get nuts. 

I am hoping to get a chance to ride the new hybrid coaster (Steel Vengeance) there this year!

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 10:18:31 PM »

DelGrosso's in Altoona is a really nice family oriented park.  No really crazy rides or coasters, but there are some.  Great park to bring kids under 10 or 12.  Lots of smaller rides and games, and always some sort of live entertainment.  But the big drawing card is an amazing new water park and the best food at any park anywhere.  Almost every weekend all summer and fall has a theme, special food day or a concert or series of concerts/entertainment. 
"there is a light that never goes out"

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 04:07:24 PM »

One nice park that really updated over the past few years is Waldermeer Park in Erie,Pa. Not expensive and a variety of rides for all ages...and a new water park. The Park sits on the bluff before you go down to the entrance to Presque Isle, so you have a great view of the lake.  A new coaster swoops down the gully and back up, almost putting you on he roadway.  It gives you that seaside amusement park feel like out on Jersey Shore. You don't have to pay any entrance fee and can walk around while kids ride and eat the amusement park fare. So, if you have week long stay or such, you can hit the park every night.

Falcons01

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 11:55:43 AM »

DelGrosso's in Altoona is a really nice family oriented park.  No really crazy rides or coasters, but there are some.  Great park to bring kids under 10 or 12.  Lots of smaller rides and games, and always some sort of live entertainment.  But the big drawing card is an amazing new water park and the best food at any park anywhere.  Almost every weekend all summer and fall has a theme, special food day or a concert or series of concerts/entertainment.
The wife would enjoy that place as she is the a big water park fan.  I am can take it or leave it. 

DelGrosso I would assume that has to do with the brand of spaghetti sauces?  Sounds interesting.

Falcons01

• Varsity
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 11:57:55 AM »

One nice park that really updated over the past few years is Waldermeer Park in Erie,Pa. Not expensive and a variety of rides for all ages...and a new water park. The Park sits on the bluff before you go down to the entrance to Presque Isle, so you have a great view of the lake.  A new coaster swoops down the gully and back up, almost putting you on he roadway.  It gives you that seaside amusement park feel like out on Jersey Shore. You don't have to pay any entrance fee and can walk around while kids ride and eat the amusement park fare. So, if you have week long stay or such, you can hit the park every night.
I like the idea of no entrance fee.  Again the wife doesnt ride much and it kills me that I have to pay full price at big places for her to ride 5 or 6 things.  We pretty much stopped going to Kennywood after they quit the general admission ticket  :-\

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 12:54:42 PM »

My daughter took her niece and nephews to DelGrosso's last summer and they enjoyed it.  Not a big place and you can basically stop in if you were out in the Altoona/Penn State area and do most of the stuff...maybe spend more time at water park.  Yes, the DelGrosso family of tomato sauce fame owns the place. One feature they had was like on a Wednesday an all you can eat Spaghetti deal!

Speaking of Altoona...I guess the amusement park their as part of the Altoona Curve baseball comples is downsizing. Kept the coaster that swoops down around the baseball field.  Not sure about what else they did to other rides.  That park has had a number of reincarnations...I believe it was once BoyerTown and was closed down for a number of years until latest rehab.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 02:57:22 PM »

There's one old school classic amusement park left in PA.  Knoebels which is up by Southern Columbia High school is billed as America's Largest Free-Admission Amusement Park.  Tons of rides, picnic areas etc.  You still wander around and pay by the ride.  It's less than an hour from our house and we used to take the grandkids there when they were into that stuff and they actually liked it better than Hershey Park!

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 04:41:51 PM »

Conneaut Park on the lake is maybe on its last legs...or not.  It was supposed to close a few years ago, but got some money to keep going. It was hit with a big fire to the old dance hall building awhile ago and then the resturant building on the lake front burned.  The big old 'grand' Conneaut Hotel still operates on the grounds. My brother in law's kids own a cabin right next to the park...there are a number of those around..either rentals or owned. The rides that remain are more of the type for younger kids.  Their big wooden coaster might still be operating..again a fund raiser was held to save it.  I have not been their in a few years, but the nephews go there during the summer to their 'house'. Back during the college years a few of us would go up to visit classmates that got jobs their in the summer.  The females worked mostly in the hotel and the guys had the park jobs.  They had great summers since they lived there in some housing provided for them.  Some great parties almost every night.
In its heyday it was the  picture postcard of the summer retreat.  The one side of lake had some very expensive  'cottages' with docks for their power boats. The rich neighbor who lived up the street was one of them.  His kids always told us about their boat and what they did on the lake all summer. (never invited up). The rich guy and his dad built a very successful real estate business in Pittsburgh area...that the sons basic ran into the ground when they took over :)