PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Trump asking the DOJ to ban gun modifications like bump stocks  (Read 1085 times)

hs

• Hall of Fame
Trump asking the DOJ to ban gun modifications like bump stocks
« on: February 20, 2018, 04:48:43 PM »

So after the Las Vegas shooting and this recent school shooting in Florida, President Trump has sent a memo to the Department of Justice asking them to ban gun modifications such as bump stocks to "curb the use" of rapid fire devices. How does everybody feel about this? Does anybody here feel that this is an attack on our 2nd amendment rights? Does anyone feel this is long overdue? And does anyone feel that this is a start but a lot more needs down?

IMPO, I am a conservative but I disagree with a lot of conservative views. I am glad Trump is doing this and in a way thumbed his nose to the NRA and I hope he does more. I am glad he is out there talking about mental health issues and things like opioid addiction which I believe the mental health issues of this country are a bigger reason for these shooting versus the guns. I also think Trump needs to look at background checks and syncing up these checks between local, state and federal. From what I understand, you could have been diagnosed with a mental health issue and even committed in one state but go to another state and purchase a gun. To me that is crazy.

What does everyone else think?

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
Re: Trump asking the DOJ to ban gun modifications like bump stocks
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 05:16:00 PM »

I think this is a very small first step but not nearly enough.  I'm not against gun ownership but, we need to make it difficult for certain people to buy firearms.  Hey, if I have to wait a week to purchase, I've got no problem with that.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 06:53:51 PM »

I think there needs to be more done but it also must be gradual. The last thing we need is a dramatic change in who can own what because a black market would undoubtedly crop up. Possibly leading to more issues than we currently have.

Buckrub

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 08:57:12 PM »

Here is the question all of us can ask of ourselves: What will I do when I know of someone that has a gun that is legally banned from having one? Or, harder yet. 'I think this person is mentally unstable'. I am willing to bet that very few people would be willing to make the call to the proper authority. But yet, that is truly called enabling. Be it guns, child abuse, spouse abuse, or sexual harassment.

I also think that making gun purchases "difficult" is not the answer. How about impossible for those that can't (not should not) own one. I know this is a tough subject, but I guarantee you that many law abiding citizens that think criminals should not own guns, will never report their friends that fall into that grouping. It is simply human nature. It has to start somewhere, and it still falls on those of us who believe in the rule of law. And sometimes that can be tough. As a gun owner, I want guns to only be in the proper hands. I value too highly my right as a US citizen to own guns to not go quietly on the subject on responsible gun ownership. One of the unfortunate things that always come up is the NRAs role in the debate. Do I agree with them on everything. Absolutely not. But, name one other national organization that is out there looking out for Second amendment issues.They are villified by many on the left. sometimes rightly so, IMO, but yet they, as an organization funded by donors, still have to respond to threats to take away the basic rights that many hold as sacred. All in all, a very tough subject.

Here also was a reply to a very liberal anti-gun friend about guns. " Do you think the 2 Senators that represent the people of Montana feel the same way about guns as the 2 Senators that represent New York" Of course she knew that answer was no. Then I asked her to start adding up the states that have both Senators that agree with her view, in comparison to the states that the majority of citizens disagree with her view. We are truly a divided country on the subject and many states do not want to give up certain rights just because some "city people" want to tell them how to think.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 05:04:09 PM »

I am just happy that finally a president is finally looking for solutions and is willing to make some changes. Too many presidents in the past just give lip service to this topic and it is refreshing to see someone that wants to make some solutions IMO

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 12:56:54 PM »

I am just happy that finally a president is finally looking for solutions and is willing to make some changes. Too many presidents in the past just give lip service to this topic and it is refreshing to see someone that wants to make some solutions IMO

So until something substantial happens I am thinking that we are just looking at what you said last. "Lip service." There have been conflicting reports over the last two or three days regarding if Trump still supports these limits such as limiting bump stocks and age restrictions.

What also amazes and amuses me it that the chambers seem to be passing the buck a bit to others to lead (Ryan said something along the lines of wanting to see what the Senate wants but yesterday said more along the lines of no real need for new gun control legislation. McConnell has at least pledged taking action but also said something along the lines of wanting to hear from the President  (this after Trump already said what has been said in this thread). So there has been a fair amount of lip service but no real action.

With all of that said if Trump can make anything happen (literally anything) he will have had the most impact towards gun control since the Clinton era assault weapons ban. As much was written by Second Amendment rights activists about President Obama taking their guns away, he accomplished practically nothing. So if Trump accomplishes something I will change my tune. With that said, if he truly cared about gun laws, his tune would have been more like this after Vegas, which was arguably more horrific than the events two weeks ago.

What I will say though the real story here is the Parkland students and their successful activism on the topic at hand. Because of their age (the Sandyhook students could not speak for themselves, and the parents were probably too distraught to speak and had a surrogate of sorts in President Obama), knowledge of social media (i.e. conspiracy theorists who successfully got the cruel and disrespectful story out there that Sandyhook was a hoax concocted by Second Amendment opponents), and their national map reflecting diversity as well as relative affluence  (their school makeup of white vs Hispanic vs black is actually pretty reflective of society, and their affluence and diversity puts them above the black lives/blue lives/all lives matter fray that still gets caught up in a Democrat vs Republican partisan issue). Obviously it is still partisan, these kids are not letting this issue go away.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 06:24:38 PM »

The rest of the nation is seeing how teenagers are when they have the mind to go after something they want.  Any parent or teacher knows what they will do and go through to get their way :)  Fight the good fight kids....lead the way...isn't it written somewhere ..'and a child shall lead you ....."?

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 07:45:59 PM »

YIG, at the risk of sounding like somebody wearing a tinfoil hat, Vegas is not what the story has led us to believe. Not saying it did not happen but I believe there is lots more to the story. Rehashing it would lead to further investigation and the government does not want that. Basically I think Paddock was a government agent gone rogue or possibly compromised by the bad guys he infiltrated.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 09:45:05 PM »

On an encouraging note, Trump today meeting with Senators from both sides of the aisle reiterated that changes need to happen and even called out PA's own Pat Toomey as "being scared of the NRA."

Jerry

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 10:03:06 PM »

The rest of the nation is seeing how teenagers are when they have the mind to go after something they want.  Any parent or teacher knows what they will do and go through to get their way :)  Fight the good fight kids....lead the way...isn't it written somewhere ..'and a child shall lead you ....."?

And make no mistake about it, those wonderful kids are running the country right now and will not let up on the pressure.
Anything that's done from now on will be because of their pressure and no one elses.

emm8

• All State
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 10:27:13 PM »

And make no mistake about it, those wonderful kids are running the country right now and will not let up on the pressure.
Anything that's done from now on will be because of their pressure and no one elses.

I'm amazed by their resolve, and wish them great success.  I've seriously entertained the idea of heading to Washington, DC on March 24th to be in support (something I've never entertained before).  However, I do hear many of them echoing their frustration already that nothing has been done yet.  It's only been 2 weeks!  I can only hope they persist, but understand the slow wheels of progress these situations have been known to endure.  This argument has taken the adults in the room years, and there's been little progress.  Voting rights, abortion rights, war activism, school integration all have taken years to accomplish.  They've pushed this to the forefront in record time, and I hope they understand that it may take a while (the "Rome wasn't built in a day" theory).  Some of them may move on to college before anything material happens, and they may need their younger brothers and sisters to become their reinforcements and replacements in the movement.  I only hope that they don't give up too soon.  It can happen.  It should happen.  And they've pushed it further and faster than anyone thought possible.  Keep fightin' the good fight you young ladies and gents.  I'm betting you can and will do it!  Hopefully not that far into the future.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:30:01 PM by emm8 »

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 10:57:38 PM »

On an encouraging note, Trump today meeting with Senators from both sides of the aisle reiterated that changes need to happen and even called out PA's own Pat Toomey as "being scared of the NRA."

This is why I brought this up earlier. I feel Trump is not going to let this go and we finally have someone in there that has no problem calling out politicians on both side of the aisle. He is taking a lot of heat from the media and he doesn't care IMO. And I agree emm8, they will have to have some patience with this. The media has no problem blasting Trump for not getting something done in a couple weeks when they know it is the House and Senate of this country that drag their feet on everything.

Indians87

• All State
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 03:08:07 PM »

When you live in a FREE society you will have to learn to take the good with the bad.  And in most cases, the good outweigh the bad.  When you start restricting rights you open the door for all rights to be restricted. 

The last thing I would want is 15-18yr olds telling me what laws need changed.  I know the whole 18 year olds can go fight wars for us, which is true, but they are not the Generals or brains planning the steps of that war.  I also do not want to diminish the young people from thinking and trying to help make things better!  This is definitely a very difficult task...

emm8

• All State
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 12:43:17 PM »

Obviously (and regretfully) I didn't make the trip to D.C., but the 1st speaker (one of the group of 5 to 6 kids that have become familiar faces) opened with this: "To the leaders, skeptics, and cynics, who told us to sit down and stay silent and wait your turn...Welcome to the Revolution!"   8)

I'm not sure if that statement's been stolen from the Vietnam era protests or not, but it may very well become the rallying cry for this movement.

The crowd size may surpass the inaugural crowds of last year, but I'm sure the white house press secretary will dispute that.   ;)  ;D

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 12:59:08 PM »

We will see what the American people really want. The democrats could win the house, senate and presidency by 2020 and fill them with candidates who probably would have won because they back stricter gun laws.

Something tells me we still have the silent majority who won’t vote in these people.
Pages: [1] 2 3