PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2018 Winter Olympics  (Read 754 times)

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
2018 Winter Olympics
« on: February 11, 2018, 11:07:21 PM »

Nobody has posted yet but we watch every event we can.  Love the winter games.  Addicted to watching curling, downhill skiing and the ice hockey on the big international rinks.  Wish the NHL played on international rinks.

USA got an unexpected medal today in the men's luge.  Also got a gold from a 17 year old kid in one of the X-Game snowboard events.  And they clinched a bronze in team figure skating tonight.  USA sits in position to grab a couple medals in women's snowboard too when it resumes tomorrow. 
"there is a light that never goes out"

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
Re: 2018 Winter Olympics
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 11:36:24 PM »

I watch some.  The 3 you mentioned are my favorites as well.  I can't get too excited about some of the other stuff though.  So I sort of pick and choose.  I'm a much bigger fan of the summer games.  I love curling.  It reminds me of Bocce on ice!

emm8

• All State
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 01:48:07 PM »

The USA "Half Pipe" snowboarding coach is a General McLane grad (Edinboro, PA).  His mom still lives just down the street from me.  U-S-A, U-S-A

P.S. I can't remember for sure (a lot of that going around for me these days), but I think "Half Pipe" was my nickname back in college at Edinboro in the mid '70's!   8)   ;)

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 02:12:16 PM »

I watch also. Hockey is my favorite but I enjoy as a whole.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 10:53:13 PM »

I typically watch a little bit of the Winter Olympics especially hockey, but have been keeping my distance this year. It has just gotten way too political for me this year. From all the talk of the younger sister of the North Korean dictator being there and the media just fawning over her for some reason and taking the opposite side of the media just bashing the vice president, the one athlete getting his knickers in a twist about not being the flag bearer for the opening ceremony and hinting that it might have to do with because he is black to name just a couple stories I am hearing about. 

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 12:54:50 AM »

17 year old Chloe Kim grabs a snowboarding gold for USA.  Downhill skiing was on live tonight and was awesome to watch.  Couple of nice wipeouts as well (admit it, we all like a wipeout of two).  Russia/Swiss semi-final Mixed Couple Curling came down to the last stone!

PS: Russia female curler was hot AF too!

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:11:35 PM »

Shaun White hit a pressure packed 97+ score on his 3rd run - for a walk off Gold Medal!  It was freaking awesome!

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 10:41:17 AM »

Since his victory he has been bashed for letting the flag touch the ground!!!  He has the flag draped on him and holding all kinds of stuff and it slips and he did not even know it.  He is being totally ripped by a bunch of crazy people.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 10:52:48 AM »

I was watching last night and there are so many commercials, it's almost unwatchable. 

Jerry

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 11:22:11 AM »

I was watching last night and there are so many commercials, it's almost unwatchable.

That's all TV that's why I rarely have it on. Same on youtube. When I'm reading papers for basketball, I'll pick someone I want to listen to and a long playlist. They have a commercial after ever song. Most you  can skip after a few seconds, but I'm not looking at them at the time. Also for a fee you can listen or watch videos for a month or so free. I do watch some Olympic replays from 1 am till 4 but I'll have something else on and switch during commercials.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 12:44:05 PM »

That's all TV that's why I rarely have it on. Same on youtube. When I'm reading papers for basketball, I'll pick someone I want to listen to and a long playlist. They have a commercial after ever song. Most you  can skip after a few seconds, but I'm not looking at them at the time. Also for a fee you can listen or watch videos for a month or so free. I do watch some Olympic replays from 1 am till 4 but I'll have something else on and switch during commercials.

I hear you Jerry.  What we do is watch what we want on demand.  The first 4 or 5 days a show is on demand, the commercials are still there.  After that, they disappear and you can watch a 60 minute show in 42 minutes.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 01:02:26 PM »

On another negative the performance last night by the US Men's hockey team.

Not sure why they wanted to be so old and slow, but Slovenia is supposed to be one of their easier games. I did not realize until watching this morning just how old and slow they were (4 college players and mostly has beens). I respect, say, Brian Gionta as captain, but I would prefer Gionta and 19 college/juniors aged kids personally, not a list of player from past olympic games or pros who were not even good enough to make it in the past.

Also an uninspired coaching choice (Granato, who has never impressed me).

emm8

• All State
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 01:48:39 PM »

The US mens goalie is a 27 year old (Erie) Cathedral Prep alum who's been playing professionally in Europe.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 09:35:44 AM »

Two of the bigger surprises:

Germany upsetting both Sweden and Canada at hockey to get to the Gold Metal game tonight. Good for them! Canada second away from security Bronze vs the Czech Republic.

And Olympic Athletes from Russia had zero Golds until Figure Skating (women's) the other night when they took both Gold and Silver. Tough couple of weeks for Putin/Russia lol , although at least their figure skaters helped save face, and their hockey team will be favored tonight vs the Germans.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »

In the old days..if you were a Russian athlete and failed at the olympics.....you would be doing your skating and skiing in Siberia.
Pages: [1] 2