PSB

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the New PSB-To login click login above username box

Author Topic: 93.7 - Still awful after these years  (Read 136 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
93.7 - Still awful after these years
« on: February 05, 2018, 03:51:16 PM »

I tried to listen to some post-SB talk on 93.7 today, but it only took a few minutes of inane jabber from Filliponi and Cook, to a lesser extent, for me to change the station.

hs

• Hall of Fame
Re: 93.7 - Still awful after these years
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 07:28:33 AM »

I tried to listen to some post-SB talk on 93.7 today, but it only took a few minutes of inane jabber from Filliponi and Cook, to a lesser extent, for me to change the station.

It also doesn't take me too long to change the station after listening to those 2 dribble on. I would like to know which one of their shows on the Fan is the most highly rated or if the bosses even care since they are really the only sports talk on the radio pretty much all day until Madden comes on at 3PM

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 07:36:12 PM »

I can't keep up with the call letters, but 970AM (they also have similcast on FM) has good sports talk all day. A network morning show, during football they have Tunch and Woofley and 12 to 2 Stan Saveran and other talk shows the rest of day.  The signal is weak, so that hurts them. If I want to hear good sports talk I will tune in there. Can't take Madden and his insulting schitck.
Only one I listen to with any kind of regularity..which is not very regular, is Paul Ziese. I have NO use for Colin going back to his insulting, thin skinned days when he would post on here when he was PG high school sports reporter. He got most of his ideas on stories from the reading the posters on here back then. To me he does not deserve to be on the air, but due to his daughter's illness, I hope he keeps his job.

Nicky

• All State
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 10:45:30 PM »

I abhor watching or listening to grown men talk about sports on TV/radio.  I don't watch any of the SportsCenter type news shows, talk shows or preview shows.  Or listen to any local shows or Sirius national shows.

I just like watching live games/events and drawing my own conclusions. 

This board is literally the only sports communication I partake in.  I hold you guys and dolls in much higher esteem than the celebrity talking heads. 
"there is a light that never goes out"

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 02:07:56 PM »

Actually, I don't listen to sports talk on the radio except for Stan Saveran..who i snot the typical  sports host.  He is too intelligent :).
The Sunday night sports talk on KDKA and WPXi with their talking heads..basically semi talented sports writers and some other has-beens are just awful..and the people that call in are worse.  The radio shows have the same callers all the time calling every show.  At least Madden treats them like they should be...as idiots.
I never watch any of the football pregame or half time experts as well with all the former coaches and players.
The only commentary show I really watched and liked was when ESPN has the group of college coaches watching the game and commenting real time.  Their insight was great on what they would do and much the coachs of the teams did what they said would happen.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 05:36:45 AM »

Pompieanni is by far and away the best host on 93.7, but he's only on a couple hours Sat AM. My second choice is Tab Douglas. Jim Colony is good, too, but he's stuck as the 3rd wheel on the morning show. Ziese is ok. But WIP The Fan is not.

Madden knows his stuff, but I could do without his "schtick" and his Ben worship. I'd listen to 970, but the station is all but impossible to pick up here.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 09:19:23 AM »

Pompieanni is by far and away the best host on 93.7, but he's only on a couple hours Sat AM. My second choice is Tab Douglas. Jim Colony is good, too, but he's stuck as the 3rd wheel on the morning show. Ziese is ok. But WIP The Fan is not.

Madden knows his stuff, but I could do without his "schtick" and his Ben worship. I'd listen to 970, but the station is all but impossible to pick up here.

Agree on all points bfgrad, especially on Madden's Ben worshipping. That gets old pretty quick. Madden, Stan Savran and Pompeanni are the only three that have a wide range of knowledge in all sports. Ziese is okay but he is more knowledgable on the college level. He tries to be the angry host like Madden but it doesn't work real well and his long pauses and when he's thinking he does a long drawn out Ummmmmmmm and that drives me nuts! Madden is my go to for anything related to hockey talk. The Fan just sounds like they are trying to talk about hockey just because there is a team in town 

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 09:29:31 AM »

Dunlap is probably the worst radio personality I have ever listened to.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 09:59:53 PM »

These guys are all generally knowledgeable about sports, but The Fan format is all about creating outrage and controversy. I guess on some level that generates listening interest, but I think there's just as big, if not bigger, audience for straight sports talk.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 10:42:37 PM »

All the comments about the number of commercials during the shows says that the station is making money with what they are putting on the air, so don't except any changes. If this poor excuse for a sports talk station is a cash cow for the station owners, then what is incentive to change?  Sort of like the Pirates...the owner keeps making money, so why should he care what the fans think...they keep showing up anyway.