PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Author Topic: Next big food event? Super Bowl?  (Read 438 times)

coach99

• Hall of Fame
Next big food event? Super Bowl?
« on: January 02, 2018, 08:04:22 PM »

I guess we will soon be in the doldrums for 'feasting'.  Maybe after the Super Bowl the next big event might be the Final Four...is that a foodie event?

I guess the Super Bowl is more a snacking ..chicken wings type spread..getting away from the more elaborate prepared full course dinners of Xmas and New Years.  I see the SB as a 'break' from slaving in the kitchen by just going to the store and picking up a variety of wings already prepared...maybe a sandwich ring or four foot hoagie....maybe travel to Swissvale and pick up a Battleship ....and a couple of pizzas with the works.  Makes for a nice relaxing day if you don't have to spend it in the kitchen or tending some grill or smoker.  Worth the money spent.

BTW...what do you eat at a basketball event?

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
Re: Next big food event? Super Bowl?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 08:36:30 PM »

I tend to do ribs and/or wings and pizza. Last year I did a taco bar. Back in Pittsburgh maybe hoagies also, but we don't have Pittsburgh quality hoagies in Cleveland.

Also I usually make guacamole.

Nicky

• All State
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 04:32:13 PM »

We have cheese ravioli topped with my aunts "Sunday Sauce" with meatballs on Super Bowl Sunday because, well, it's a Sunday.  And Sunday means pasta and sauce in my Italian family.  We actually have the pasta dinner around 3.  Then at 6:30 and thru the game we have with wings, chips/veggies/dips, and cookies/sweets. 

As for March Madness and hoops....my college buddies and I have a tradition of all of us leaving work at 12 noon on either the first Thursday or Friday of the tournament (the two days there are the most games) and meeting up to watch an afternoon of all the early games together. 
"there is a light that never goes out"

Nicky

• All State
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 04:34:52 PM »

Saw a few articles in various food/wine industry magazines and social media sites that I follow that said chicken wings and any types of chips/pretzels with salsa/dips are the most popular Super Bowl party foods across the board! 

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 05:25:29 PM »

My next big food event is in 2 hours.  Have a huge pork roast with potatoes and onions in the crock pot. ;D ;D

Nicky

• All State
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »

Love crock pot meals!  Especially big pork or beef roasts or loins.  Nothing better than when the meats just shreds apart. 

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 11:56:58 PM »

Love crock pot meals!  Especially big pork or beef roasts or loins.  Nothing better than when the meats just shreds apart.

Yeah Nicky.  Had the pork cooking all day.  The damn smell was making me hungry for 5 hours!  Made such a hog of myself, I was too full for desert.  That will come shortly as we have fresh pound cake, strawberries and blueberries and some Breyers Vanilla Bean ice cream.  But first, I'm going to make a hot pork sandwich on fresh Italian Bread with gravy and relish.  I've really been pigging out since spending 2 days in the hospital.  Got tight in the chest and having had 4 previous heart attacks, thought it best to hit the ER.  Anyway, they ran a gazillion tests and it ended up slightly high blood pressure and gas.  They tweaked my meds and I was back home in time to shovel snow.  LOL  BTW, since they had me on a cardiac floor, the food sucked.  I knew within 5 hours I had no cardiac issues so the first thing I did was have my wife sneak in a Philly Cheese Steak and fries with gravy!! 

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 05:36:57 PM »

Glad it was not serious.   I always remember someone saying that more people die working out that fall over with their face in a plate of spaghetti :)  Which one died happier :)

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 08:04:26 PM »

Glad it was not serious.   I always remember someone saying that more people die working out that fall over with their face in a plate of spaghetti :)  Which one died happier :)
[/quote

Exactly coach.  Us old guys are tough and we'll go out on our own terms.  I was back playing full court basketball the night after I got out of the hospital.  I'll do a lot of things but I'm going to enjoy my food and my sports. 

Nicky

• All State
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 10:07:51 PM »

I was in the hospital parts of last week as well.  Had an Ablation surgery procedure on my heart on January 9.  Doing better now, which is why I been posting more the past five days.  They couldn't get to all parts of my heart to fix everything, but think they did enough for a big positive change with my extra heartbeats (called PVCs).

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 11:28:06 PM »

I was in the hospital parts of last week as well.  Had an Ablation surgery procedure on my heart on January 9.  Doing better now, which is why I been posting more the past five days.  They couldn't get to all parts of my heart to fix everything, but think they did enough for a big positive change with my extra heartbeats (called PVCs).

Nicky, glad you're doing better.  As someone who had his first heart attack 27 years ago, I can tell you attitude is a big part of getting back on the horse!  I did make a few concessions such as cleaning up my diet and getting my cholesterol nice and low.  But I still eat tons of good food.  My biggest issue was cookies, cake and ice cream every night.  I cut back on those and also my cardiologist told me I had to take off 110 pounds.  I was around 300, but in excellent shape as I was into full contact karate, etc. and had a 36 inch waist at 300 pounds.  Took me over a year but I got down to 190 and maintained it ever since.  My last cardiac issue was 16 years ago when I had my 4th heart attack and quadruple bypass surgery.  This past week was the first issue since then and I was out in two days with just some med adjustments. 

Just stay educated on what's wrong with you and don't be afraid to challenge the docs if you think they're wrong or there's another way.  They wanted to do a heart cath on me and I knew it wasn't necessary as they could get the exact same info with non-invasive stuff as I knew I had no valve issues.  They ended up doing some heart dopplers, stress test and MRI's and determined everything was ducky!! Plus I found out 2 years ago that dye they were shooting in me from previous cath's had done some kidney damage.  Not a major issue, but more dye could have been.

My wife had the same issue you had and she was lucky.  They were able to correct it with meds and she avoided surgery and/or a pacemaker.  Good luck in your recovery.  One positive is you know you have some issues and can stay on top of them.  That's half the battle.