PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The XFL Returning?  (Read 1143 times)

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
The XFL Returning?
« on: December 21, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »

It has been hinted it and talked about for weeks and it seems like Vince McMahon's failed spring football league, The XFL, may be returning. 

McMahon has started a company called Alpha that will be doing sports and entertainment not excluding football.  Now word comes today that he has sole over $100 million worth of WWE stock and trademarked 5 different terms around "XFL"

There is the thought he is going to go after the MAGA fans that have been turned off by the NFL and their kneeling players.  Vince McMahon has often tried to dabble in things outside wrestling and it never really works, but this time it's his own money as the WWE is raking in cash hand over fist due to the WWE Network and TV rights fees. 

Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this.  I watched every week of the lone XFL season and while it is bashed it did do a lot of thing right that the NFL has since stolen. 
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1769-597 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
Re: The XFL Returning?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 08:21:57 PM »

I did not enjoy the XFL but admittedly I gave up on it early. I probably would not watch it now on principal.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 09:57:40 PM »

I liked the XFL and I would love to see it come back!

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 11:41:28 PM »

I watched the championship game back in the first incarnation and the football was a big drop off.

Think it would be doomed like every other league that tries if they shut it down quick if it doesn't become a competitor with NFL overnight. If they try to just be a niche market thing like wrestling it could work. Manufacture fake "beefs" and come up with storylines. You can always fool the simple folk and young boys with that stuff

In general, football is becoming less popular and it has very little to do with players kneeling during the anthem, Colin Kaepernick, etc. "More violent" football doesn't seem to have a place today. There were tens of thousands of tweets of people moaning how hard it was to watch after Shazier went down like that sort of thing never happened before

If McMahon and team owners were willing to stick with it for like a decade even if it was a big loser, it could build itself into a competitor. The leagues that expect to be a big hit right away seem to always flame out. Take a similar tack to the AFL. The longer you hang around the more NFL needs to acknowledge them.

Another league could make the NFL better. They are a monopoly, they act like one too.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 07:58:50 AM »

Tiger4Lyfe,

Great point about the violence, but unfortunately if nothing else recent times have lead me to see the worst of our society, and no doubt even with all of the CTE news, concussions, and major injuries (not all head injuries of course) there are factions of the population who do not see the NFL as violent enough  (i.e. they protect the QBS too much for instance, orn the hits on defenseless receivers not being a rule "when I was growing up," etc).

So aside from McMahon grandstanding on the anthem issue (I am willing to bet that he has a plant who refuses to stand on opening night, with him coming down on National TV and saying in his Vinny Mac voice "you're FIRED") which in wrestling terms will get the marks going right off of thr bat, but in this case the marks being the aforementioned crowd.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 09:07:21 AM »

Tiger4Lyfe,

Great point about the violence, but unfortunately if nothing else recent times have lead me to see the worst of our society, and no doubt even with all of the CTE news, concussions, and major injuries (not all head injuries of course) there are factions of the population who do not see the NFL as violent enough  (i.e. they protect the QBS too much for instance, orn the hits on defenseless receivers not being a rule "when I was growing up," etc).

So aside from McMahon grandstanding on the anthem issue (I am willing to bet that he has a plant who refuses to stand on opening night, with him coming down on National TV and saying in his Vinny Mac voice "you're FIRED") which in wrestling terms will get the marks going right off of thr bat, but in this case the marks being the aforementioned crowd.

From word leaking it seems Vince has learned his lesson from the previous XFL season and likely won't be as brash and cocky.  He has founded a company separate from the WWE for whatever this league and it seems he isn't look to take on the NFL.  I think they could do something like wave the 3 year NFL rule for high school kids and get the ones who don't want to go to college and want to start getting paid ASAP, but how many 18-19 year old kids are ready to play with grown men and risk a possible NFL future? 

Some are saying he may be better of trying a basketball league as that sport is growing and there is more talent out there that doesn't play in the NBA and you could get the kids who don't want to go to college a lot easier.  Some think he needs to get into business with Lavar Ball who has thrown around the idea of a junior league for kids who want paid while waiting to go to NBA. 

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »

It could make it as a niche market, mainstream I dont think so.  At least not for awhile. Streaming service like Netflix, facebook, amazon, etc would probably be the best place to base the league with 1 game per week on tv on like USA, TBS, TNT, etc. The league would have to fill stadiums or have a decent media deal to survive the first few years.

Shows and other programs survive nowadays that never would 10-20 years ago because ratings dont mean as much with all the media options. But a nationwide sports league has immense expenses, really dont have the luxury of not being successful in the beginning.

As for xfl taking talent, you'd have to be nuts to sign long-term even with much more money until the league is established. Gonna take years for their Joe Namath moment. Letting kids jump from hs to pro is a nice idea but will it work? probably not, even nfl rejects are going to completely dominate 18 year old high school grads, at least at the skill positions, you may be able to get a 325 kid up to speed on blocking skills but lineman dont sell tickets. Honestly think congress should get involved and require any new league to have a separate high dollar fund(100 million mininum) set aside like a bond right off the bat to cover any athletes medically and financially that need it due to injury that ruins their life. Kid gets injured that puts him in wheelchair for life, xfl goes under 2 years later, and he's left trying to sue Vince McMahon for a living wage in the courts and that is never gonna be a fair fight. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have the nfl subject to the laws too. They pretty much take care of people now but that may not always be the case. Knowing what we know about brain injuries it would be negligent not to try to regulate that aspect of the sport with new leagues starting.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 03:25:21 PM »

Itís happening.  Vince McMahon announced the return of the XFL today. To start in Feb 2020 and will feature 8 teams with a 10 week schedule.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 08:02:50 PM »

I know it will probably be gimmicky but I will watch it

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 11:08:26 PM »

I know it will probably be gimmicky but I will watch it

Right now the promise is that it will not be nearly as gimmicky but I still am skeptical of what it will be.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 11:13:07 PM »

I figure it's football.  I'll give it a chance.

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 12:23:06 AM »

THIS ^^^^

"there is a light that never goes out"

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 08:00:41 AM »

Agreed completely! If it is gimmick free minor league football (above college but below the CFL) it could be hist fine!  I love football also haha.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
Pages: [1] 2