PSB

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the New PSB

Author Topic: Middletown-Quaker Valley  (Read 265 times)

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
Middletown-Quaker Valley
« on: December 03, 2017, 06:20:10 PM »

You have to love it when the other team gives you material to fire up your team.  My nephew said when they arrived for film work and practice today, the coaches told them to check the bulletin board.  It appears in the attached article the QV coach guaranteed a win Saturday.  As if Middletown wasn't already on a mission, now they're pissed off! lol 

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/20171202/mike-bires-confident-quakers-look-to-take-final-step-in-hershey

billtown1

• Jr. Varsity
Re: Middletown-Quaker Valley
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 07:12:55 PM »

He was absent the day at coaching school when they taught you how to give the media the boring scripted answer is all. ;D

wpialbasketball

• Varsity
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 10:10:41 PM »

What do you expect him to say?  They are going to lose?  How is Middletown practicing today?  I thought all teams have to take an off day every week per PIAA rules.

billtown1

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 11:04:25 PM »

Most coaches spend time complementing whatever the other team does well publicly.  Ask Auburn's coach where talking shit gets you.  More often than not it puts your team in a bad situation.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 12:01:33 AM »

What do you expect him to say?  They are going to lose?  How is Middletown practicing today?  I thought all teams have to take an off day every week per PIAA rules.

Hey, I'm happy he said it.  Most coaches aren't dumb enough to say it even if they think they'll win big.  As far as a day off, it doesn't say what day.  Middletown has traditionally practiced the day after a game for probably the past 50 years.  This staff has always reviewed film of the prior game with the team and then they work on what they screwed up in the game.  They also traditionally don't have practice the day before a game (I think that would be a day off, duh!).

BTW, for any Middletown fans and they also said QV fans are welcome as well, the weekly tailgate party starts at 8AM Saturday on the home side parking lot(same place it always is) at Hershey Stadium.  Plenty of food, beverages, etc.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 05:41:42 AM »

FWIW, I went to the BF-QV game at QV. BF got crushed as they did most games this season, but they did show QV can be passed against. QV really could not cover BF's 6'4"ish WR Adam Brady. BF was also able to push QV's OL and pressure Guss a few times.

SteamRollers1

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 07:26:04 AM »

Their coach puts me in mind of Coach Dale of the movie "Hoosiers". "When Ollie makes his second shot, (looking at Ollie he says) "and you will make your second shot"
:

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:28:22 AM by SteamRollers1 »
State Football Champions:
1907, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1948, 1978, 1982, 2007 & 2008.
State Basketball Champions:
1927, 1992, 1998, 2000, 2005 & 2008

wpialbasketball

• Varsity
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 08:19:47 AM »

Their coach puts me in mind of Coach Dale of the movie "Hoosiers". "When Ollie makes his second shot, (looking at Ollie he says) "and you will make your second shot"
:

I think that is the mindset the QV coach was taking in the article.  Quaker Valley has been a doormat in football for as long as I can remember.  Quaker Valley never had a winning mentality until maybe a couple years ago.  I think he is putting himself out there to try and tell his team "Yes, you can do it."  He never "guaranteed" a win and said in the article he respects Middletown and thinks that his team can play with anyone in the state.

I agree with bfgrad that QV's defense is most vulnerable through the air.  Their run defense has been pretty solid all year.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 05:41:29 PM »

It will be interesting to see what QV does defensively against Middletown.  The Raiders are a run first team obviously with two stud backs with over 7,000 yards between them but, they will throw in a heartbeat if a team sells out to stop the run.  They have huge wideouts, all basketball players and big tight ends.  They had almost 300 yards on the ground last week and another 206 through the air on 11-15 passing.  The biggest difference from last years team is both the offensive and defensive lines are much better.  No one has been able to run on them and they've completely shut down every D1 back they've faced this year.  Conwell Egan stud Patrick Arwo had 280 yards rushing against Palisades 2 weeks ago.  Last week against Middletown he had 48 and 36 of that was on one carry.  Egan came in averaging 4 passes a game and ended up throwing almost 30 times, which didn't work out too well.

http://fox43.com/2017/12/03/hsff-week-14-conwell-egan-vs-middletown-highlights/

WPIAL Alum

• Rookie
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 09:00:22 PM »

I guess the Quaker Valley Coach was a fortune teller.

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 09:09:30 PM »

I guess the Quaker Valley Coach was a fortune teller.

U had to hear him at half during the PCN interview.  Basically it was, "They aren't coming back on us."