PSB

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the New PSB

Author Topic: Christmas & New Years  (Read 98 times)

Nicky

• All State
Christmas & New Years
« on: November 30, 2017, 09:47:35 PM »

Been busy with some projects at work and haven't been posting in my usual manner in the Food or College forums.

Christmas Eve for my family is always the Italian 7 Fishes meal.  Bacala cod, smelts and calamari rings.  Spaghetti in an spicy Arrabiatta Sauce.  Cookies, chocolates, wine.

Christmas day is ham and stuffed manicotti pasta in Sunday Sauce.  More cookies, chocolates, wine.

New Year's Eve is a great relaxing day at home with honey baked spiral ham during the afternoon and early evening for the football games.  Hot dogs and kraut at midnight.

New Year's Day is pork, kielbasa, hot dogs and kraut at my parents house from noon until midnight for football!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:49:07 PM by Nicky »
"there is a light that never goes out"

Indians87

• All State
Re: Christmas & New Years
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 12:43:08 PM »

I love the hot dogs and kraut at midnight idea!  Do you place them in a slow cooker?

I might do that this year!!!

Sounds good NICKY!

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 04:40:35 PM »

Always go to Cincinnati for Xmas.

Xmas Eve: snack foods/hors d'vours mostly. I make hot sausage as kind of the main food, with everything else being finger foods. And eggnog. And other adult beverages.

Xmas morning go to the earliest mass then breakfast we do homemade cheese pockets, goetta  (a Cincinnati staple) and Cinnamon coffee and usually scrambled eggs or something else like that as we pass put presents. Dinner Honeybaked Ham (if i can get one around my busy schedule) and some typical sides (I make macaroni or potato salad for example), deviled eggs, etc. Always bread and mayo and Miracle Whip in case we want to make sammiches of the ham.

New Year's Eve with the two little ones we keep it really really low key. NY Eve again finger foods and snacks (sometimes I will make wings...Chicken is bad luck NY Day not NYE haha). New Year's Day usually a pork roast of some kind.

Nicky

• All State
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 04:58:54 PM »

GOETTA!

Nicky

• All State
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 05:07:41 PM »

I love the hot dogs and kraut at midnight idea!  Do you place them in a slow cooker?

I might do that this year!!!

Sounds good NICKY!

Believe it or not, I use a cast iron skillet!!  It's just me and my wife on NYE.  So around noon or so we make the spiral ham and gnaw on sandwiches while I watch all the NFL or Bowl games.  We like watching all the NYE shows in late afternoon or early evening in between football, still picking at the ham and stuff.

Then around 10:30 PM, I start to sauté a bag of the regular kraut with sliced onions, whole cloves of garlic, thick grated black pepper and beer on top on the stove.  After heating it thru for a good 30/45 minutes, I place it in a black cast iron skillet and lay a couple kielbasas on top and bake in oven until around 11:40 or so. Kielbasas brown up nicely, sometimes even split open a bit.  Then last 15/20+ minutes I place the hot dogs on top of the kraut with the kielbasas.  By midnight, the dogs have baked for 15/20+ minutes and are busting open themselves.  Crack open champagne/prosecco/cava (the bubbly of your choice) and chow down watching the ball drop in NYC.

Oh....and I always call my mom right after giving my wife a kiss while the ball drops.  ALWAYS make that call!

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 05:32:04 PM »

Xmas Eve is pretty quiet now...wife and daughter will go to church for the evening service. Nothing special to eat..probably pasta for dinner.  On Xmas day the grandkids and families will drop in at various times, so we have, more or less. a buffet type meal.  Son in law usually gets a certificate for a spiral ham from his employer...but he does not really like ham so I pick it up and cook it. His job as a pilot for a private airline often involves him having to take rich people to a vacation spot, so he is not always home. He has to "suffer" in the Bahamas or Florida or Vail waiting to fly them back home.  I usually have fried chicken..wings..to go with the ham. Maybe potato salad and mac and cheese.

NYE used to be a big thing at my wife's parents house when they were living and kids were smaller.  I make the kraut and kielbassa and hot dogs in the oven and we snack on that. On New Year's day will have a pork roast of some type, mashed potatoes..maybe a couple racks of ribs for the family members that stop by to eat..for good luck :) I like putting the ribs in the kraut and let them cook like a reglar roast would....the meat just sucks right off the bone.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 11:12:34 PM »

Coach99, I have done ribs before also on New Year's Day also. Some years I'm feeling the pork roast and other years I have done other variations of pork (i.e. ribs, pork loin, etc) or even other variations of pig (I did a Honeybaked Ham 2 years ago as I missed out on it at Xmas and was craving it).

I do work occasionally which also effects what I make.

Nicky

• All State
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 06:02:34 AM »

maybe a couple racks of ribs for the family members that stop by to eat..for good luck :)

Funny you mention that, for it was always an old Italian thing with my parents generation back to my great-grandparents generation to have lentils or the white cannelleni beans on New Years Eve around midnight with the sausage/kielbasa for good luck. 

Like so many ethnic traditions, it has not carried down to my generation or the generation of 20/30 somethings younger than I. 

KernKraft400

• Varsity
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 02:30:56 PM »

Beef tenderloin on Xmas Eve.  And although not Italian like Nicky, we have lots of chocolates and cookies as well all night after dinner!

Spiral ham and kielbasi on Xmas day.  Lots of potatoes. Brother in law is Eastern European and makes great stuffed cabbages as well.

Pork, hot dogs cooked in sauerkraut on New Years Day.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 05:51:09 PM »

We have been going out for Chinese food on Christmas Eve. watched A Christmas Story when my kids were little and we made it a Christmas Eve tradition for us ever since.

Ham and Kielbasa on Christmas Day and you gotta have some kind of pork and sauerkraut on New Years Day

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 06:21:02 PM »

Nicky, since I know you like to stay up on things, you do realize it's only 328 days til Halloween! ;D