PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: 2018 Pirate Off Season Thoughts...Hmmm?  (Read 2188 times)

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
Re: 2018 Pirate Off Season Thoughts...Hmmm?
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2018, 08:39:09 PM »

This from Greg Brown’s Twitter:

Some #FakeNews out there. I happen to know Bob Nutting. He is as good a man as I have ever met. He is an excellent team owner who righted a sinking Pirates ship. He cares deeply about the organization & wants to bring a championship to Pgh. THAT is the truth.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1769-597 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2018, 10:52:24 AM »

This from Greg Brown’s Twitter:

Some #FakeNews out there. I happen to know Bob Nutting. He is as good a man as I have ever met. He is an excellent team owner who righted a sinking Pirates ship. He cares deeply about the organization & wants to bring a championship to Pgh. THAT is the truth.
Way to save your job, Greg.

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2018, 05:45:46 PM »

The Pirates are $75mil in payroll on the current market away from competing for a chance at the playoffs. And probably $500mil in full length contracts. If the idea is to win a championship, and you think they can afford Jake Arrieta, Mike Moustakis, a couple big time relievers and probably Howie Kendrick, then by all means he upset.

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2018, 06:08:33 PM »

Let me ask this question:
IF Bob Nutting is interested in nothing but lining his pockets with cash, why doesn't he SELL the Pirates?
Selling  this franchise, currently valued at $1.25 BILLION, would be the quickest and simplest way to line his pockets with lots of cash.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2018, 07:09:03 PM »

I've pondered the same question. I think the answer is the Pirates provide a yearly, consistent profit. Nutting likes that. I don't think he likes spending down cash with no replacement cash coming in. I think he likes to count his savings and add to his assets and use "other people's money" to live the life he wants. I also think he wants to provide a consistent income for his off-spring, not just leave them a trust. I mean, look at how Scaife spent all his mother's trust and left nothing for his kids.

I also think the Pirates are a cash cow that supports his newspapers and ski resorts.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2018, 03:55:33 PM »

PG reports MLBPA might be looking into how the Pirates are spending their revenue sharing money. IIRC, this money is supposed to be used on payroll.

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2018, 04:09:42 PM »

Not necessarily only on payroll. 

From Trib's Rob Biertempfel's report:

The Pirates reportedly received more than $50 million in revenue sharing money in 2017. According to the CBA, that money must be used buy the team "in an effort to improve its performance on the field."

That a vague term which covers more than just the salaries of players on the major league roster. The cash may be used to cover signing bonuses for draft picks and international signings, to hire more scouts and front office staff, to improve technology systems, and for upgrades in the player development system.

Each team must give the union an annual accounting of how its revenue-sharing dollars are being used.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 04:13:45 PM by Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio »

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2018, 11:13:12 PM »

I don't think the Pirates do any of the above, tbh.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2018, 08:58:55 AM »

Investigation has been completed and Pirates (and Marlins) were found in compliance with MLB's regulations.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2018, 12:41:57 PM »

No surprise, the owners aren't going to admit any of their fellow owners are skirting the rules to their avowed enemy, MLBPA. I think Miami will eventually straighten out since Jeter should be at least somewhat in tune with the players. The Pirates won't change their ways until/unless the other owners, who probably know how Nutting operates, get tired of being ripped off by him.

Of course the Pirates could end all speculation by opening their books for review, but :-X

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »

Read a recent report that Ogden Newspapers (Nutting family) bought the Charleston, WVa, Gazette. This was shortly after the Pirates freed up some cash by trading two of their high-salaried players. Coincidence?

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2018, 08:56:47 AM »

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2018, 06:02:04 PM »

Cubs sign Darvish at 6 years/126 million.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1769-597 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2018, 08:58:30 AM »

Cubs sign Darvish at 6 years/126 million.

He will make in 1 year what the entire Pirates starting rotation will make this year! 

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2018, 09:00:22 AM »

Shocking story on MSN that Elias Diaz's mother was kidnapped in Venezuela

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mother-of-pirates-c-elias-diaz-kidnapped-in-venezuela/ar-BBITbXn?li=BBnba9I&ocid=DELLDHP

The Fan reported yesterday that Elias Diaz's mother was released and is recuperating in a hospital. They also reported that one of the kidnappers was a policeman and their neighbor! 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5