PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: 2018 Pirate Off Season Thoughts...Hmmm?  (Read 2706 times)

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
Re: 2018 Pirate Off Season Thoughts...Hmmm?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 09:57:26 AM »

Yankees top prospect is Torres and they donít want to give him up in this deal.  Last report is they are close on a deal and it could get done even without Torres going to Pittsburgh.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1769-597 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 02:22:55 PM »

Report that Pirates has agreed to trade Cole to the Astros.  Soon after a new report saying teams arenít close to a deal.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 06:29:53 PM »

Seems now it is official.

Pirates trade Cole to Astros for Joe Musgrove (P) and Colin Moran (IF).

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 07:47:29 PM »

Word now that they got 2 more players in the deal:

Michael Feliz (relief pitcher)
Jason Martin (OF prospect)

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 08:08:03 PM »

Actually that seems like a pretty good deal for the Pirates, depending on Cole's performance from here on out, of course.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 08:15:20 PM »

This will probably change your mind: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2018/01/13/gerrit-cole-trade-return-who-are-colin-moran-joe-musgrove-michael-feliz-jason-martin/stories/201801130107

Sounds like 4 marginal prospects at best. The 3B got hit in the face so who knows what kind of player he is now. I remember Gene Alley never being the same after taking a nasty beaning back in the day. Other GMs must have to supress a laugh when Huntington comes calling. They know he'll take anything just so he can dump payroll. Houston did not even give up 1 top prospect. I'm sure Cole's happy to be getting out of Pgh and go to a team that actually wants to win. I don't think Cole will ever live up to his hype, but he should've brought a better return.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 08:21:49 PM »

I realize that they were seemingly playing hardball but no one seemed to want to budge (the Yankees and Astros).

He was a .500 pitcher with an ERA over 4 last season and was not much better before that. I realize that he has "ace" potential but should he not reach that potential then the return is not bad.

The funny thing is though after the arbitration amount of under $7 million actually seemed like a good deal, even for a 10-10 200 innings and change kind of pitcher. I woke up this morning that the Pirates would stay patient and see how April/May/June went before pulling the trigger. With that said like Cutch it is also possible that his value continues to plummet, so this was hardly a no brainer either way.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:06:04 PM by yannessa_is_god »

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 09:33:11 PM »

Why would any team dealing with Huntington budge on including prospects? They know Nutting won't allow payroll to increase and the Pirates are generally poor at identifying prospects because of their near complete reliance on fantasy statistics. The result is Huntington is more than willing to take damaged goods (the 3b) and marginal pitchers (5+ ERA, etc) and trading partners are happy to oblige.

Jerry

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 10:01:29 PM »

Why would anyone give anything for Cole, his career was over when AJ left. He hung his hat on AJ and was done when he was gone, he should have left with him. Waste of talent and way over paid. His signing bonus was more than he will ever be worth.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 03:38:11 AM »

At least 3 teams reportedly were interested in Cole (NYY, Hous, ChiC). A competent GM plays them off each other for the best offer. If the offers aren't what you want, hold on to Cole, maybe he starts off gangbusters and the price goes up. Cole could've been signed to a new contract instead of going through arbitration and then traded. Even at 10-12M/yr, that's about the going rate for pitchers.

I don't personally think Cole was all that great, but a good GM knows how to make something out a tradeable asset. Huntington gets fleeced more often than not.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 07:26:04 AM »

At least 3 teams reportedly were interested in Cole (NYY, Hous, ChiC). A competent GM plays them off each other for the best offer. If the offers aren't what you want, hold on to Cole, maybe he starts off gangbusters and the price goes up. Cole could've been signed to a new contract instead of going through arbitration and then traded. Even at 10-12M/yr, that's about the going rate for pitchers.

I don't personally think Cole was all that great, but a good GM knows how to make something out a tradeable asset. Huntington gets fleeced more often than not.

Very disappointing career so far for Cole IMO. He has never lived up to be the number 1 guy in the rotation but I get the feeling when he goes to Houston and he does not have to live up to be the number 1 guy, he is going to turn it around

and I agree about Huntington. I feel no GM shows him any respect and only trades their bad players for out good players and Huntington jumps at it almost every time. can't wait to see what we get for Cutch and possibly even Harrison. It's sad to watch what is going on with the Pirates. When watching how well the Steelers and Penguins are doing, fans are wanting to see a decent baseball team put on the field at PNC Park and we just get to watch them sell their players off

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 11:45:36 AM »

I can see Cole catching fire in Houston.  His mind was not in Pittsburgh. Whether he did not listen to the pitching guru or just is not coachable, I don't know. He seemed to resist attempts to get him to throw a couple of different pitches.  Maybe the Astros can resurrect his career aka Charlie Morton.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 03:54:43 PM »

It was reported on KDKA news today that the Pirates and Giants are finalizing a trade for
Andrew McCutheon.  No details yet.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 05:10:55 PM »

PG reports trade is pending McCutchen pass a physical. Their story also quotes NBC Sports as the return being some dude named Kyle Crick, a 25 yr old pitcher.

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 05:17:54 PM »

Kyle Crick and Bryan Reynolds for Andrew McCutchen.

Crick (25 years old) (RHP) appeared in 30 games (32.1 IP) with the Giants, 2-2 with 1 save, 3.95 ERA. 1.21 WHIP, 7.8 K/9 inn. 1.65 K/W

Reynolds (22 years old outfielder) (2016 2nd round pick by the Giants) Advanced A ball in 2017, 153 H in 121 games, including 26 2b, 9 3b, 10 HR, 63 RBI, .826 OPS.

Might as well deal Harrison too now.

I know I'm going to have fun at the Pirates Radio Network Affiliates "sit-down" with Bob Nutting, Frank Coonelly and Neal Huntington on Wednesday night and Thursday.

If nothing else, the Pirates' timing was pretty good....trade Cole the day before the Steelers' playoff game, then trade Cutch while everyone's distracted by the abomination that WAS the Steelers' playoff game....
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:36:18 PM by Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5