PSB

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the New PSB

Author Topic: 2018 Pirate Off Season Thoughts...Hmmm?  (Read 106 times)

emm8

• All State
2018 Pirate Off Season Thoughts...Hmmm?
« on: November 18, 2017, 04:35:34 PM »

Just saw an article on Yahoo Sports (that I didn't even bother to read btw) about the San Francisco Giants getting ready to make a trade offer for the Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton, and I thought to myself...hmmm?   ???

I know the Cardinals and Red Sox (among others) are also seriously considering making an offer, and have thought to myself, "What about having him as a Pirate?"

Knowing that it's not financially possible from the Pirates as presently constituted, but wondered what if they did have some cash available, what would it take? 

Short of just paying "Straight cash, Homey!" (which the Marlins would probably accept), I honestly don't believe that they have any combination of 6 to 7 players (in the major league or minors) combined that the Marlins would accept for him in return.  I'm not sure they'd even sniff at a McCutchen, Marte, Polanco, Bell, and 3 minor league'rs type deal.  Add Cole, and take out one of the aforementioned?  Throw in one or two of the (way too many) utility type players on the current roster?

Needless to say, the thought of Stanton ending up in a Cardinal or Cub uni is totally disheartening.   :'(

Anybody got anything more upbeat/uplifting as to their possibilities?  I need a Pirate baseball pick me up about now.   :o   ;)   

coach99

• Hall of Fame
Re: 2018 Pirate Off Season Thoughts...Hmmm?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 06:07:51 PM »

On Pirate buzz right now is possibility of Walker coming back to the Bucs. He was in town today to help 'broadcast' a high school football game involving his old team.  He supposedly has expressed some interest in 'coming home'.  With the Kang situation up in the air and possibility he will not be allowed to come to USA, the Pirates could use some infield help.  Maybe move Harrison back to 3rd...or have Walker play there. Have to see what transpires.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 07:40:34 PM »

Pirates informed they are out of the Ohtani sweepstakes.  Seems it will be down to Giants or Mariners.  He wants a West Coast, smaller market team.  Pirates only offer 1/2 of that. 
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1756-588 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »

The media is saying Giants or Cardinals are frontrunners for Stanton but if Dodgers wanted him, that's where he'd go, he wants to play for them, it's home. Hope the Cards dont get him.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 02:54:05 PM »

Ohtani signs with Angels.

Stanton said he is open to playing for the Yankees.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 09:46:23 AM »

Looks like Stanton is going to end up a Yankee in what is basically a salary dump. 

Falcons01

• Varsity
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 07:33:31 PM »

Looks like Stanton is going to end up a Yankee in what is basically a salary dump.

I highly doubt I see Castro staying with the Marlins. Wishful thinking but, I would love to add him to 2B and move J-Hay to 3B.  He is owed 22 over 2 years so they could afford it but it wont happen. 

I guess the Mets have already expressed interest in Castro along with Harrison, Kinsler, and Kipnis.

Falcons01

• Varsity
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 07:37:02 PM »

Pirates are considered the favorite to land Jaime Garcia.  While a veteran lefty would be nice for the rotation, I just dont see him an upgrade over the younger options that they have.

Also there have been rumors that Felipe Rivero approached officials at PirateFest today asking to discuss an extension.  I also dont see that happening.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 07:54:36 PM »

Anybody go or does anybody know anybody that went to Piratefest today? I heard complaints about it being at PNC Park and was wondering if they got a good crowd or not