PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: District 3 3A Championship  (Read 1718 times)

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
District 3 3A Championship
« on: November 16, 2017, 02:10:18 PM »

11-0 Middletown vs 10-1 Wyomissing at Hershey Stadium tonight for the title again this year.  Raiders blew the Spartans out last year and are a heavy favorite this year.  From all indications it appears one of Middletown's stud running backs, Brady Fox will either sit out this one or get very limited touches due to an ankle sprain.  If Fox can't go, soph Chris Joseph will team up with soph Jose Lopez (1600 rush yards this year).  BTW, not much dropoff when Fox sits as Joseph averages 11 yards a carry.  With 25 mph winds whipping through the stadium, it could affect the passing game.  On the other hand, if the wind is blowing correctly, Middletown kicker Donovan Brady could be in range from 70 yards. lol Brady already has hit a 50 yarder and his only miss was a wide left on a 62 yard attempt.  He's also perfect on 60 PAT attempts.  I'm heading over for the game and I'm employing my same cold weather strategy as last week with the expected wind chill.  The second Middletown triggers the mercy rule, I'll finish listening to the game on the radio on my way home. lol  Below is a nice writeup from Mike Drago of the Reading Eagle on the game.

Brett Myers is quick to tell you that his Middletown football team graduated 24 seniors from the team that won 14 games and played for a PIAA Class AAA championship a year ago.

And that the Blue Raiders are a lot younger this season.

All of which is true.

That doesn't mean that this year's Raiders, who face Wyomissing Thursday night in a District 3 Class 3A championship rematch, might not be just as good.

"It doesn't look to me that they dropped off any," said Wyomissing coach Bob Wolfrum, whose team enters Hersheypark Stadium for the 7 p.m. kickoff as a decided underdog. "They are really talented and (have) a lot of speed. Last year I was just marveling at their acceleration. They've got the same thing this year."

The top-seeded Blue Raiders (11-0) no longer have flashy All-State running back Jaelen Thompson, who's now playing at Towson; quarterback Chase Snavely, who is at Lock Haven; or two other All-State picks.

Two of their biggest weapons, All-State wide receiver Tyreer Mills and bullish running back Brady Fox, returned to the fold, and Myers has filled in around them with more, talented, hard-working football players.

The Blue Raiders have just one senior starter along their offensive and defensive lines yet still were strong enough to plow through the Mid-Penn Capital Conference, barely breaking a sweat. They were rewarded with a dozen all-league picks.

They're scoring 42.1 points per game and winning by an average of nearly 34 points. No wonder they're ranked No. 3 in the state in 3A.

When the PIAA restructured into six classifications for last year, Wyomissing was considered District 3's most established 3A program.

Myers, a Middletown grad now in his fifth season as its head coach, has quickly transformed the program, taking it to the level it knew in the late 1980s and early 1990s when he played there for Denny Iezzi. Myers later was an assistant for Iezzi at Exeter from 2002-06.

"If that's what they get year in and year out," said Wolfrum, looking at the Raiders roster and production, "that's gonna be rough (to contend with)."

Fox is on the verge of becoming the program's all-time rushing leader. Two years from now, sophomore Jose Lopez, who has rushed for more than 1,600 yards, likely will be chasing Fox's record.

"That kid is lights out, too," Wolfrum said of Lopez. "He's the fastest of them all. They're just a nightmare to defend. They're all over the field, with a lot of motion, unbalanced (lines) it's just hard to get your kids lined up where you can have a chance to make a play against them."

The second-seeded Spartans (10-1) have excelled on defense. They have held eight of their opponents to one TD or less and are ranked No. 3 in Berks in total defense. Only five Class 3A teams in the state have allowed fewer points.

That unit took a big hit last week when junior safety Nolan Babb, whom Wolfrum considers the quarterback of his defense, went out with an ankle injury that will keep him off the field this week. The Spartans lost another key defensive back, Max Hurleman, to a season-ending injury at midseason.

The only thing tougher than slowing down the top-seeded Raiders is scoring against them. Only one of their opponents has reached the end zone more than once this season.

"You've gotta score points against these guys, and we've gotta keep the ball away from them," said Wolfrum. "The last couple weeks, we haven't done anything (on offense); that's a concern."

SteamRollers1

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
Re: District 3 3A Championship
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:04:47 PM »

I'll be tuning in to WMSS 91.1 fm !

GO BLUE RAIDERS !
State Football Champions:
1907, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1948, 1978, 1982, 2007 & 2008.
State Basketball Champions:
1927, 1992, 1998, 2000, 2005 & 2008

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 04:09:18 PM »

I'll be tuning in to WMSS 91.1 fm !

GO BLUE RAIDERS !

Also Steamers if you want to hear the Wyomissing point of view the game's also on WEEU on the web.

http://weeu.com/

Should be interesting if this wind continues.  We're getting wind gusts close to 50 MPH over here on the west shore.  I certainly need to make sure I have no air leaks in my garb before exiting my vehicle and heading into the concrete palace.  lol  I bet you can guess where I'll be spending halftime.........

SteamRollers1

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »

I forgot all about WEEU in Reading. Maybe I'll check them out too.

The winds seem to have died down quite a bit. Let's hope it stay somewhat calm for the game.

SteamRollers1

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 08:54:46 PM »

There's something in that Susquehanna River water!

Middletown 49 Wyomissing 0 final.

Middletown and Steel-High get back to back district titles.

Waiting for Harrisburg to make it a back to back trio !

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 09:39:52 PM »

Thank goodness for the mercy rule.  The game only lasted 1:45.  That was a cold one.  Raiders completely dominated as Brady Fox became Middletown's all time leading rusher, breaking Jalen Thompson's record set last year.  Fox & Jose Lopez had 330 yards between them on 26 carries.  What's absolutely amazing is Fox, Thompson and Lopez now have over 11,000 rushing yards between them and the 3 of them shared carries for two years and Lopez is now only a soph.  He has a very good chance of going well over 7,000 yards before he's done, especially since he has his entire offensive line back next year and will be the feature back.

This team is really jelling and as good as least years team was, this one could be even better.

Wyomissing gave Berks Catholic a game for well over 3 quarters and Middletown just came out and completely dominated them ffrom the start.  The Spartans did the one thing you don't do against Middletown.  They loaded the box to stop the run and qb Ash quickly hit Ryan Hughes for a TD pass.  That stopped that box loading pretty quick.  lol  BTW, my nephew said Fox pested the living hell out of the coaching staff and they finally said OK,  but we're limiting you to 14 touches.  Well, he ran for 208 yards on 14 carries and broke the record on his 3rd touch. 

Next up is a huge game with Scranton Prep.  Middletown beat them last year 40-13 and really physically dominated them.  We'll have to see if they did any work in the weight room in the off season.

One other note.  Raiders kicker Donovan Brady is now 67 for 67 on PAT's this year and 7 for 8 on FG's.  Only miss was a 62 yarder wide left by a hair.

Also, the 4 Raider running backs had 33 rushes for 380 yards.  Fox averaged 12.9 per carry, Mills 10.5, Lopez 10.3 and Joseph 10.0.  Pretty tough to stop a team that gets a first down every time they touch the ball.  The really scary thing is they have a deadly passing game they only use to stop teams from loading the box on D.  1 out of every 3 passes qb Scott Ash has completed have gone for TD's.  Tonight he only threw 4 times, completed 3 for 51 yards and a Td.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:24:42 PM by Downriver »

SteamRollers1

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 06:09:25 AM »

Middletown dominated that game from start to finish on both sides of the ball. Fox and Lopez had a literally had a field day and I was glad to see that Mills and Joseph had a chance to get some work in. This year's big game experience will benefit them a lot for next year. Only having to pass 4 times is a major plus too. It shows just how strong Middletown's running game is. I don't know anything about Prep but they had better be prepared for what's coming. Do you know if that game will be played up their way or down here closer to home?

Tacklenut

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 06:16:25 AM »

Listened to the game on WEEU and can't be more impressed with Middletown.This was a mismatch from the start and while most people that follow football in Berks county will tell you this was not one of Bob Wolfrum's power house teams you don't see Wyo get taken to the woodshed like that.The announcers on the radio said that Middletown only plays 4 players both ways that's amazing for team with just under 50 players on the roster.Coach Myers has these kids buying in big time.As for Middletown being better than Berks Catholic I would favor Middletown.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 11:55:23 AM »

Steamers, last year the game was up near Scranton so, I'm hoping this year they put it in D3.  Hershey Stadium is already in use next Friday & Saturday for the 5A & 6A championship games.  I would think if the game is in D3 they could use either Central Dauphin or Susquehanna Township as both stadiums are right off 81 and it would be a straight shot for Scranton Prep.

Tacklenut, I agree that Middletown would handle Berks Catholic.  You only have to look at the difference between when both teams played Wyomissing.  Also, Middletown's schedule is much tougher.  We'll see what happens tonight when Berks plays East Pennsboro.  Middletown mercy ruled East Penn this year 42-7 when both teams were unbeaten and their star running back Onasis Neely who's averaging over 200 yards a game had negative yardage in the second half.  I believe Berks is going to have some issues containing Neely and this will be a close game.  Now, the difference between East Penn and Middletown is East Penn has one stud running back, Middletown has 4.

Tacklenut

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 04:10:19 PM »

DR,BC did beat East Pennsboro last year 63-33 and built 49 point lead in the 2nd qrt

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 05:53:48 PM »

DR,BC did beat East Pennsboro last year 63-33 and built 49 point lead in the 2nd qrt

I forgot about that Tacklenut.  I don't know if East Penn has learned much from last year because Middletown did exactly the same thing to them as they did last year so, I doubt if they'll react any better to Berks the second time around.  I saw them in their two losses to Middletown and Steel-High this year and they don't react well the second something goes wrong.  Both of those games were competitive early and then the wheels came off and it was blowout city.  We both know if you punch Berks Catholic in the mouth, they'll just punch you back like Middletown or Steel-High.  So we may see another blowout if East Penn hasn't figured out at this point in the season, you have to give 100% on every play for 4 quarters.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »

Tacklenut, you were on the money.  Berks pounded East Penn again.  It seems East Penn gets clocked every time they play a quality opponent.  I'm not completely sold on McDevitt this year but the 4A final could be interesting if McDevitt brings their "A" game.  But if the McDevitt team that got clobbered by Harrisburg and Cumberland Valley shows up, it could get ugly.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 11:28:49 PM »

Saw some highlights of the BC-EP game and Berks did exactly what Middletown did to them.  They loaded the box and took Neely out of the game (122 yards on 22 carries) and forced East Penn to pass.  They don't throw well and with all the two way players, Lutz and company just wore them down jamming the ball down their throat.  After a while it's just a matter of time until it snowballs and you have a mercy rule game.  As I said earlier, I'm not sold on McDevitt and I think Berks has the athletes to pretty much do what Harrisburg and Cumberland Valley did to them unless McD really shows up with their "A" game.  McDevitts defense is suspect against good teams as they've given up 21 or more points 6 times and some against really bad teams like Hershey.  I can't imagine McD winning a shootout which is their only chance.  Berks defense is too good to give up more than 21 even against a really good team.  I'm going with BC in this one 35-14.

BTW, it appears Scranton Prep may be in for another clubbing against Middletown.  They barely got by a very average 8-5 Loyalsock team by 31-28.  I pulled up some of Prep's games on Hudl and their just like last year.  No running game and they throw almost every down.  I'm sure Middletown will do exactly what they did last year since they have all their secondary players back.  They'll single cover all the receivers and blitz every play.  Last year they had a ton of sacks and constantly had Prep in 2nd and 3rd and long situations.  Defensively, I don't think Prep will have an answer for Fox and Lopez running downhill at them play after play.  I look for a second blowout in a row.  I would expect the winner of tomorrow's Leheighton-Palisades game to be Middletown's opponent in the eastern final.  Looking at both of them they look like they'd have a lot of trouble with Wyomissing.  So, that said, I'm fairly confident that Middletown should end up in Hershey against the winner of Aliquippa-Quaker Valley.  As luck would have it, that games on the tube tomorrow morning at 11 AM.  Looks like I have a game to watch while I have my morning coffee! 

One other note.  The last 6 games since Middletown has slowly gotten their 8 injured starters back in the lineup (they're completely healthy now), they've outscored those 6 teams 287-28 and the first team has only given up 2 scores in those 6 games.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:34:19 PM by Downriver »

Tacklenut

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 10:00:56 AM »

Some more thoughts on Middletown,I saw Scranton Prep struggled against Loyalsock last night but came away with the win.I think Middletown has there way with them next week.Just looking at the eastern bracket in AAA I would have to say Middletown looks like the favorite to get to Hershey once more. Palisades vs Lehighton today will be a game of interest today winner gets Egan 11/24.DR, you said Middletown was healthy I know Lopez left the game Thursday in the 3rd qrt with what the announcers said on WEEU looked like a leg injury and Fox was supposedly nursing an ankle injury although you would have never known it by his performance Thursday.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 10:24:54 AM »

Lopez has a sprain like Fox.  Talked to my nephew who plays on the team and he said he'll be good to go.  He wanted to go back into the game Thursday and the coaches wouldn't let him.
Pages: [1] 2