PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Pitt Thread 2017  (Read 3394 times)

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
Re: Pitt Thread 2017
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2017, 12:00:59 AM »

Anybody paying attention to Pitt basketball these days? Just wondering how the team is doing

Had a big string of a bunch of low level cupcakes that they beat to get to 8 wins.  Lost to the only two real teams they've played since Thanksgiving, but were competitive in both.  Meat of ACC schedule starts Jan 2 at Louisville. 
"there is a light that never goes out"

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »

Lost yesterday to a highly ranked Miami team.  Played close for nearly a half, but Canes pulled away and won comfortably.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1769-597 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2018, 11:06:37 PM »

Pitt blows one at home vs NC State.  Panthers were up 66-57 late and lose 72-68. Still life okíing for a ACC win.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 11:18:08 AM »

it was reported somewhere..probably a sports show...that former Pitt players that visit are pretty much ignored by Stallings. Does this guy have any idea on how to build a program..it takes more than just recruiting a few tall players. He was not the popular choice to get the job i  the first place and he is not endearing himself to many people..especially alums and boosters,

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 02:55:59 PM »

Pitt goes 12 minutes with a bucket.  Yes, that's not a typo.  12 minutes without a FG today against Louisville.  At least they keep the deficit under 40. 

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2018, 04:29:00 PM »

I know team is extremely young and this should
Help for the future, but I didnít expect it to be this bad this year.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2018, 09:02:14 PM »

They are possibly the worst major conference team in the entire nation. Never probably in any of our lifetimes has that been the case!

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2018, 09:34:58 PM »

Interesting stat is Dixon never had a Pitt team lose by 30 and it has happened 5 times under Stallings.

With that said I donít think he should be fired as will put them in similar position will no stability.  Have to see this rebuild through with him for a few years.

Nicky

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2018, 10:39:44 PM »

I know better players are on the way, but other teams will have better players arriving too.  Pitt's recruiting class is 13th in ACC.  So yes, the kids coming in are gonna be better than the kids here now, but are they really gonna be better than many other groups of players in the ACC? 

Pitt starts 5 freshman but they were even outscored by Louisville's group of schmucks and freshman who came off the bench in the 2nd half.  Yikes. 

I still watch every game no matter how bad.  I like watching the local teams (Pitt, Duq, RMU, WVU, SFU, PSU) every time they're on.

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2018, 11:38:56 PM »

The problem is usually a young, bad team just turns into an experienced bad team.

emm8

• All State
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2018, 01:20:39 PM »

I fell into some last minute free tickets (in a Suite) and drove the 100 miles each way, and was quite surprised.  Both teams have some talent, although neither can be confused as a top level contender for anything.  The biggest problem I saw for Pitt was a lack of real size.  They rebounded well, but didn't dominate the boards.  Their young freshman guards (Marcus Carr and Parker Stewart) showed me a lot.  Good handles and aggressive to the hoop.  Shot well.  They were 11-15 from the field, and 5-8 from three.  Throw in another freshman G/F 6'6" Shamiel Stevenson's 4-5 (9 pts) from the field, and you have a frosh output of 42 points, on 15-20 shooting.  Add Luther's 16 pts, and 9 rebounds, and end result is four guys in double digits, and another with 9.  Still need a few pieces, and hopefully can keep the younger kids from bailing, but could be very good if they keep what they've got and add.  Just not what we've been used to for Pitt bball in recent years, but there should be some optimism going forward.

I posted this earlier this season after attending the Pitt v Duquesne game, and still feel it holds now.

"Still need a few pieces, and hopefully can keep the younger kids from bailing, but could be very good if they keep what they've got and add.  Just not what we've been used to for Pitt bball in recent years, but there should be some optimism going forward."

Recent news articles have also been acknowledging the recent progress of Terrell Brown (who didn't show me a lot back then); but more power to him if his game is getting better.

They need to keep the 3 or 4 guys mentioned above (not always a sure thing).  Get Luther back (I believe he may have been granted an extra year).  Add a few more freshman, and at least one older transfer that can help now.  If that happens they should be much improved two years out from now, although next year still might be a tough go.

Heck, this league is as tough as it gets in college bball year over year, and even Syracuse and Notre Dame only have 6 and 5 conference wins respectively now, so Pitt having endured the defections and a total rebuild is about where one might expect them to be.  They've had many games where they've played a fantastic 20 minutes, and very few where they've been able to do it for 40 minutes; and way too many games with a 10 minute scoring drought (both are signs of youth/immaturity).  It's tough to watch, but way too early to bail on Stallings now, unless he's been a bad actor behind the scenes.

JMO 

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:23:43 PM by emm8 »

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2018, 02:21:16 PM »

The problem is usually a young, bad team just turns into an experienced bad team.

That's my worry, also. I am not a "fire the coach" kind of fan, but he is quickly doing to Pitt hoops what Greg Robinson did to Syracuse football. Yes, maybe a rebuild and change is/was necessary, but if they stay with a coach unnecessarily long, more and more long term damage can be done. IMO Syracuse football still has not recovered to their pre-Robinson level of prestige.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2018, 02:39:14 PM »

Pitt needs to cut their loss and buy out or whatever he coach's contract. He was a bad fit in the first place that was not popular with the players or fans. One of Dixon's assistants should have been moved up like Jamie was. They knew the culture at Pitt and would keep that linage of successful basketball. There was nothing exciting about Stallings and he just did not seem able to bring anything exciting to Pitt. He just did not fit into Pitt's urban environment and did not reach out to former players...actually ignoring them from many accounts.

emm8

• All State
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2018, 05:14:47 PM »

Jamie Dixon was not able to recruit the McDonald's All Americans (one and done types) on a consistent basis.  Occasionally, he got a kid who was pretty close.  Whether it was him personally, or the school itself (city campus as Coach99 suggests), or some combination thereof, he realized his only chance was to bring kids into the system and keep them for 3 to 4 years.  Stallings has always been considered an excellent offensive strategist in the coaching circles.  Assuming he has the same problems as Jamie recruiting the one and done types for whatever reason, he may already have realized he would have to build for 3 years and have a similar attack plan as Jamie, whether that was his original plan or not.  It would seem premature to have expected any coach (including any Dixon former assistant) to have been able to recruit any differently.  I think they'd be in the same spot regardless of who they hired to replace Jamie, short of a Calipari, a Sean Miller, or Krzyzewski, and those guys are a pipe dream for Pitt.

I was disappointed in the Stallings hire, as were many others.  Not that I had anything against Stallings, but the announcement was just a big "Oh?".  But short of being a bad hombre as a person, he should be given a chance to go through a 4 year cycle.  Calipari, Miller, and/or Krzyzewski weren't coming to Pitt then, and nothing short of a massive financial change of heart by the Pitt administration could change that now.  Kind of like the talk on the Pirate topics of the Pirates/Nutting chasing the free agent market.  It ain't happening.     

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 09:46:52 PM »

Pitt has 28-13 lead on BC with about 7 minutes to go in the first half. That shrunk to only. Two point halftime lead and then end up losing 81-58.  They were outscored 68-30 in last 27 minutes of the game. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9