PSB

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the New PSB

Author Topic: 2017-18 BF Tigers Basketball  (Read 460 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
2017-18 BF Tigers Basketball
« on: November 09, 2017, 07:56:17 AM »

Fall league finished up last night. BF lost to C-M by about 8 pts. It was a good final test for the Tigers as CM played a half-court zone press that slowed BF down. Tigers didn't do a good job switching on defense and allowed too many wide open outside looks that CM converted into 3s. BF didn't press until the 2nd half that got them back into the game.

Tigers had about 20 kids despite missing both Leaks and Jaylen Vaughn, who may or may not have quit after not starting when the football/basketball kids returned last week. In addition to the kids who played all summer and fall, the football adds I saw were: Brady, Leak brothers, N Vaughan, Cleckley, Thomas-Jones, Hough and Harper.

Coach Jeter has the kids pretty well drilled and I think they'll be surprisingly good. Vaughan and Cleckley are playing with a lot more confidence. Brady is as talented an athlete as there has been at BF, but immature. McKelvey is doing a good job running the point and will be able to take some load off T Leak. Based off what I saw, I'd guess the starters will be T Leak, McKelvey, Jones, Vaughan and Brady.

wpialbasketball

• Varsity
Re: 2017-18 BF Tigers Basketball
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »

Looks like the section BF is in may have the 5 best teams in the WPIAL.  It's a shame one of them won't get into the playoffs. 

New Castle is New Castle

Quaker Valley was loaded last year and seem to be just as loaded this year.

Ambridge is much improved and will be a well-coached team that I think will challenge for a playoff spot.

Beaver Falls is still very good.

Central Valley has a bunch coming back as well!

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 03:43:13 PM »

QV lost Luptak and Moser. They have Washington and Conlan back, but losing your 4 yr starter at PG is a big blow. They also won't have Guss until after Thanksgiving assuming QV makes it to Heinz to face Aliquippa. Mastroianni also rarely played more than 6 kids so not much varsity experience for the returnees.

I saw Ambridge get run off the floor by Vincentian. Ambridge has some size, but they were not nearly as quick as I'd have thought and the offense outside of Hildenzenger was meager. Since Ambridge's football program is in disarray, I thought Jula probably had most of his varsity basketball players dressed for that game.

NC lost all their starters save the youngest Hooker. Blundo also didn't go more than 6 or 7 deep on the varsity.

I'm not seeing it with Center although they do return the youngest 6'7" Kline and Walker who plays bigger than he is. Simmons, Powell and Hudson graduated and Battisi is out for the year after a football knee injury.

BF's biggest loss is Creach. Strati played poorly all season for whatever reason. BF's younger players like Jones, Vaughan, Williams and Cleckley got more than their share of varsity minutes. They've all looked much improved and confident the last two fall league games I've watched since football season ended. Last year I think the inmates kind of were running the asylum; that's not going to happen this season.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:01:02 PM by bfgrad »

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 05:39:53 AM »

Schedule

11/28 - Scrimmage MtLebo at BF 4PM

12/8 - Lincoln Park Tip-Off @ Geneva (Metheny Field House) vs Hickory 6:30PM
12/9 - LP Tip-Off @ Geneva vs LP 7PM
12/12 - @ Highlands 7:30PM
12/15 - vs Blackhawk 7:30PM
12/19 - @ Center 7:30PM
12/22 - vs Ambridge 7:30PM
12/23 - PBC @ Moon,  vs Moon 3PM
12/29 - CJ Betters @ CCBC vs  Penn Hills 5:30PM (Grey Division)
12/30 - CJ Betters @ CCBC vs LP or PR,  5:30 or 8:30

1/5 - @ QV 7:30PM
1/9 - vs Beaver 7:30PM
1/12 - @ Hopewell 7:30PM
1/16 - vs NC 7:30PM
1/19 - @ Blackhawk 7:30PM
1/20 - @ Aliquippa 4:30PM
1/23 - vs Center 7:30PM
1/26 - @ Ambridge 7:30PM
1/27 - PBC Hall of Fame Classic @ Montour vs OLSH 3PM
1/30 - vs QV 7:30PM

2/2 - @ Beaver 7:30PM
2/6 - vs Hopewell 7:30PM
2/9 - @ NC 7:30PM
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:48:03 AM by bfgrad »

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 03:33:31 PM »

BF vs Hickory in first game of year at Geneva then the next night is vs Lincoln Park.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 07:14:01 PM »

Thanks.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 11:32:31 AM »

Looking at the classification parameters for hoops and estimating enrollment from the 2016-17 PDE data by gender, it appears that 4A will lose both Ambridge and NC who would move up to 5A. BF would be 3A, but I would expect them to play up in 4A against BH, Center, Hopewell, etc.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 06:48:14 PM »

Tigers scrimmaged First Love Christian Academy on Saturday. Here's the post from the BF Basketball facebook page:

The team traveled to Washington, Pa this evening to scrimmage Fist Love Christian Academy. They are ranked 25th in the country! Their roster.... 2@ 7', 4@ 6'8", 1@ 6'6", 3@ 6'4", 1@ 6'2", 1@ 6'1, 1@ 5'10 and 2@ 5'8". They were slated to pummel the Tigers!

Did our team win.... no, they lost 75-61. Did they earn respect.... YES! Even from the opposing teams fans! The Tigers gave them a run for their money! Our boys played hard! They never gave up! They were AMAZING! When you see players around town, be sure to shake their hand and wish them the best this season!

Link to FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Beaver-Falls-Boys-Basketball-610056352431570/

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 07:20:34 PM »

Went down to check out the tri-scrimmage today w/BF, Aliquippa and Mt Lebo. MtL was the best team by a lot. They had a little G chucking up 3s from everywhere and making them. He must have had 10 in 3 games if he had 1.

BF was terrible against Lebo's trap. Javonte Jones kept trying to dribble through it instead of passing over it. I assume Leak and McKelvey will doing most of the ball-handling when the games count, though. Overall BF didn't really come to play. Noah Vaughn did though and he was by far BF's best player. He looks like a completely different player from last year when he was tentative about everything. Not the case this year. He's playing with a lot of confidence.

Aliquippa hustles, but they don't appear to be a very good shooting team. BF beat them by a point.

These are the kids I saw: Leak brothers, McKelvey, Noah Vaughan, Jaylen Vaughn, Brady, Jones-Thomas, J Jones, Cleckley, Hauser, Glass, Conley, Hough, Williams, Stuck and a few more I didn't know. Probably 20 kids total.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 04:52:16 AM »

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 08:35:40 PM »

Went over to Geneva to check out BF vs Hickory. Tigers lost 61-46 although the game was probably closer than the score. BF played pretty tight man defense, but when they did hiccup, Hickory made shots. Cleckley and Hauser got suspended for fighting in school, so that left BF a little thin at forward. Vaughn picked up 2 quick PFs and sat out most of the 1st half. That's when Hickory got and extended their lead. Brady had 2 1st half PFs and then wasn't aggressive at all after that trying not to pick up any more fouls. Tigers made way too many unforced errors, bad passes and letting themselves get trapped. Jeter has Javonte Jones handling the ball in the backcourt and he's making too many mistakes with it. With Leak and McKelvey, there's really no need for him to be bringing the ball up court.

BF did close to within 5 or 6 pts in the 2nd half, but then went on a turnover spree that ended any comeback hopes.

They have a lot of little things to correct and also need some games to gel as a team. The non-football players were good in fall league, but when the football players were inserted, the chemistry kind of disappeared.

There was no roster, so I don't know all the kids on the team, but Jeter only played 8, Leak, McKelvey, Jones, Noah Vaughan, Brady and Jalen Vaughn, D Leak and Thomas-Jones off the bench. Of those, only Vaughn played more than a couple minutes. Jeter's got a lot of kids and could wear teams down defensively if nothing else, but it's early so we'll see what happens.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 05:09:20 AM »

BF lost to LP 71-48. Tigers were doomed by a poor start getting behind by 20 points about 4 mins in. They missed a few makeable buckets inside and were cold from outside. After that, the game was more even, but the die was cast. Tigers were better breaking the press, but still letting themselves get trapped and too many turnovers. They were better at switching on defense and had some good stops. Right now Leak and Jones are hurting them at G. Leak looks too heavy and sluggish and Jones is making a lot of soph mistakes with the ball. McKelvey is their best G right and should be running the offense, tbh. Noah Vaughan is probably the best player. Brady was announced at being 6'7", but I don't think he's quite that tall. Last year he was a lot more aggressive around the hoop, not sure why that seems to have changed. Presumably Hauser and Cleckley will be back for the game vs Highlands and that should help the forward rotation.

Jeter cleared the bench in the 4th qtr. They were the kids who moved up from the 9th grade team: Darius Nesmith, Razir Jones, Colton Novak, Cam Glass, Mike Conley and Josh Hough from the 8th grade team.

Here's the roster as far as I can tell:

Sr: Brady, T Leak, Thomas-Jones
Jr: J Vaughn, McKelvey, D Leak
So: N Vaughan, J Jones, Williams, Cleckley, R Jones, Nesmith, Novak
Fr: Hauser, Glass, Conley, Hough
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 05:16:53 AM by bfgrad »

bftigers

• All State
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 09:29:41 AM »

Bfgrad, they are going to be lucky to win 6 or 7 games this season.  Jeter is better off letting Gage run the show since he will be the point guard next season.  To have a four year starter making the same mistakes he did as a freshman is just disturbing.  He's awful and doesn't play defense.  Brady is a head case.  His behavior Friday night was ridiculous.  Not standing in the huddles during timeouts and arguing with teammates on the floor was embarrassing.  Coaches need to stop coddling him.  These two kids are supposed to be your leaders.  But when you think about their actions during football that led to them being suspended, it's no surprise at all to see this bleed over into basketball.  You gotta grow up and mature at some point.

If Noah is their best player, then they are in even bigger trouble.  He's a garbage bucket kid.  Put him at power forward and let him grab rebounds and putbacks.  Jeavonte Jones is their best player and their future.  He's got a ton of game and only a sophomore.  Still a work in progress obviously. 

Jeter just really needs to focus on the future and what kind of roster he wants next year and beyond.  They will have a chance to be good next season and very good in two years.  But it will also depend on how kids respond to the staff and not get into fights over a girl leading to suspensions like two key future pieces did here recently.....smfh.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 11:50:02 AM »

The young kids were great during fall league. They hustled, played tight defense, passed the ball well, found the open man, shot well and beat bigger schools. You could see it last night when they got in at the end of the game. The team sort of regressed once the football players joined. Jeter is trying really hard to get Brady turned around and he's spent a lot of time doing the same with Javonte Jones, too. I don't think either kid has a father-like presence in their lives. They played 2 tough scrimmages vs First Love Christian, that looks a college team, and MtLebo, then 2 good teams to open the season. Jeter had a lot of kids out during summer and fall league and I think he's got a good foundation laid.

I agree Noah should play maybe a little more inside, but he can shoot from outside, too. They'll improve and Jeter will get his line up straightened out. As for Hauser and Cleckley, fighting over a girl is dumb, but a big part of teenage life is relationships and relationship angst...