PSB

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the New PSB

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Re-classification  (Read 4164 times)

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
Re: Re-classification
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2017, 03:36:57 PM »

And this for Class 4A:

Ambridge, Beaver, Blackhawk, Highlands, Indiana, Knoch, Montour, New Castle, South Fayette
Belle Vernon, Greensburg Salem, Laurel Highlands, McKeesport, Ringgold, Thomas Jefferson, Trinity, West Mifflin

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2017, 03:42:24 PM »

And some Class 3A trips are coming:

Aliquippa, Beaver Falls, Burrell, Central Valley, CW North Catholic, Deer Lakes, Freeport, Hopewell, Quaker Valley
Derry Area, Elizabeth-Forward, Keystone Oaks, Mount Pleasant, South Park, Uniontown, Waynesburg, Yough

Batavia

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2017, 03:51:35 PM »

How about this alignment for Class 5A (with 23 teams):

Baldwin, Bethel Park, Chartiers Valley, Moon, Peters Township, Upper St. Clair, West Allegheny
Albert Gallatin, Connellsville, Franklin Regional, Gateway, Kiski, Latrobe, Penn-Trafford, Woodland Hills
Armstrong, Fox Chapel, Hampton, Mars Area, North Hills, Penn Hills, Plum, Shaler

And, with that, what to do with 9 Class 6A teams....

Someone who has a bit of credibility in such things told me McKeesport was leaning toward not playing up, which surprised me a bit only because of travel and familiarity. 

Of course, if McKeesport came up, you would still have the same problem with the playoffs in 5A, while in 6A the playoffs would be close to a joke (maybe that's too strong a word, but I can't think of any other right now). Am I correct in assuming that within a PIAA district, the district has latitude to create their own playoff scenario as long as they fill the state brackets on the desired dates? While you can obviously leave 5A alone and just find some creative way to pick 8 teams at playoff time (top 2 in each conference, plus 2 wild cards, etc.), I don't think even the WPIAL blunt skulls can let 8 of 9 teams in 6A make the playoffs.

Eagle

• Rookie
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2017, 04:28:37 PM »

How about this alignment for Class 5A (with 23 teams):

Baldwin, Bethel Park, Chartiers Valley, Moon, Peters Township, Upper St. Clair, West Allegheny
Albert Gallatin, Connellsville, Franklin Regional, Gateway, Kiski, Latrobe, Penn-Trafford, Woodland Hills
Armstrong, Fox Chapel, Hampton, Mars Area, North Hills, Penn Hills, Plum, Shaler

And, with that, what to do with 9 Class 6A teams....

The nine 6A teams are scattered all over the place geographically.  The WPIAL leadership should, but won’t, consider merging 5A and 6A for the ten week regular season.

Bob, any update on how the state playoff brackets might be affected?  Last cycle the WPIAL champ in 5A and 6A advanced to the PIAA quarterfinals.  You had said that with only nine teams in 6A, the WPIAL champ would only qualify for the round of 16.  On the flip side, if 5A is up to 23 teams, could the WPIAL champ advance to the PIAA semifinals?

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2017, 05:00:26 PM »

The nine 6A teams are scattered all over the place geographically.  The WPIAL leadership should, but won’t, consider merging 5A and 6A for the ten week regular season.

Bob, any update on how the state playoff brackets might be affected?  Last cycle the WPIAL champ in 5A and 6A advanced to the PIAA quarterfinals.  You had said that with only nine teams in 6A, the WPIAL champ would only qualify for the round of 16.  On the flip side, if 5A is up to 23 teams, could the WPIAL champ advance to the PIAA semifinals?
Certainly, with 23 of 94 teams (24.47 %), that would qualify for a spot in the SEMIFINALS.

Here are the number of WPIAL teams vs. PIAA total (percentages of teams in the WPIAL vs. PIAA (before playup declarations)-what round that qualifies for:
Class 6A  9 of 94 (9.57%)--Round of 16, I guess it could be stretched to Quarterfinals....
Class 5A  23 of 94 (24.47%)--Semifinals
Class 4A  17 of 94 (18.09%)--Quarterfinals
Class 3A  16 of 94 (17.02%)--Quarterfinals
Class 2A  30 of 94 (31.91%)--Semifinals
Class 1A  26 of 94 (27.66%)--Semifinals

With this breakdown, there is NO WAY the WPIAL can get all six title games to even the same weekend.
The PIAA would have to be persuaded to allow the WPIAL 6A champ to get a berth directly into the quarterfinals with only 9 teams in the District.

And, after talking with Tim O'Malley on our broadcast of the Class 2A WPIAL championship (halftime), I don't know how the WPIAL can continue to base everything they do around Class 6A.  Nearly 75% of the schools in the WPIAL play football at Class 4A or below.  It's about time things are done with THOSE schools in mind and what happens with 5A/6A happens, instead of always being the other way around.

I do wonder what's going to happen to the playoff brackets.  Two years in a row, Tim O'Malley has referenced his belief that too many teams make the playoffs in the smaller classifications, that there are lopsided games nearly across the board.  But, how do you take 8 teams (out of 30 or 26 or 23) in Class 2A/1A/5A and still take 8 teams (out of 16 or 17) in Class 3A/4A?

And WHAT do you do with 6A?  I say 4 teams, WPIAL Finals in Week 11, enter PIAAs in Round of 16 (Week 12)...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:02:05 PM by Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio »

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2017, 10:17:23 AM »

PIAA Board meets this afternoon (4 pm-7 pm).
I hope to have the Play-Up report shortly thereafter.

The District by District qualifiers and brackets will NOT be available for a little while yet.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:48:40 AM by Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio »

snake15

• Rookie
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »

http://triblive.com/sports/hssports/otherhighschoolsports/13040447-74/piaa-play-up-deadline-arrives

According to Chris Harlan of the Trib, McKeesport is playing up in 5A, Bethel Park, Peters, and Shaler are all staying in 5A, and Penn Hills has not revealed its decision.  The Quips will be in 3A again.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2017, 03:39:45 PM »

http://triblive.com/sports/hssports/otherhighschoolsports/13040447-74/piaa-play-up-deadline-arrives

According to Chris Harlan of the Trib, McKeesport is playing up in 5A, Bethel Park, Peters, and Shaler are all staying in 5A, and Penn Hills has not revealed its decision.  The Quips will be in 3A again.

So if Port plays up that leaves 16 teams in 4A so most likely South Fayette would get moved over to the Big 8.

TJ, SF, LH, BVA, WM, GS, Trinity, Ringgold

NC, Knoch, Highlands, Ambridge, Beaver, Blackhawk, Indiana, Montour
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1756-588 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2017, 03:42:33 PM »

And this for Class 4A:
Ambridge, Beaver, Blackhawk, Highlands, Indiana, Knoch, Montour, New Castle, South Fayette
Belle Vernon, Greensburg Salem, Laurel Highlands, McKeesport, Ringgold, Thomas Jefferson, Trinity, West Mifflin

Based on the note about McKeesport playing up, and assuming nobody is playing up INTO 4A:
Delete McKeesport and move South Fayette into that section, giving two sections of eight teams.

Ambridge, Beaver, Blackhawk, Highlands, Indiana, Knoch, Montour, New Castle.
Belle Vernon, Greensburg Salem, Laurel Highlands, Ringgold, South Fayette, Thomas Jefferson, Trinity, West Mifflin.

I tried looking at other alignments, but in every case, somebody didn't "fit"....

I guess you could do....
Ambridge, Beaver, Blackhawk, Knoch, Montour, New Castle, South Fayette, Trinity.
Belle Vernon, Greensburg Salem, Highland, Indiana, Laurel Highlands, Ringgold, Thomas Jefferson, West Mifflin
But I like the original better (clearer, cleaner, traditional)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:37:23 PM by Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio »

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »

With McKeesport playing up into Class 5A, might we see FOUR six-team sections......

Bethel Park, Chartiers Valley, Moon, Peters Township, Upper St. Clair, West Allegheny
Baldwin, Gateway, McKeesport, Penn Hills, Plum, Woodland Hills
Albert Gallatin, Connellsville, Franklin Regional, Kiski Area, Latrobe, Penn-Trafford
Armstrong, Fox Chapel, Hampton, Mars, North Hills, Shaler

I played with three 8's but somebody was "left out" in any configuration I came up with...

With four 6's, top TWO in each make an 8-team bracket.
I don't like FOUR non-conference games (week zero players would have five) but this would likely keep everybody "alive" heading to final two weeks.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:09:58 PM by Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio »

OprtnShtdwn

• All State
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2017, 01:41:02 AM »

With McKeesport playing up into Class 5A, might we see FOUR six-team sections......

Bethel Park, Chartiers Valley, Moon, Peters Township, Upper St. Clair, West Allegheny
Baldwin, Gateway, McKeesport, Penn Hills, Plum, Woodland Hills
Albert Gallatin, Connellsville, Franklin Regional, Kiski Area, Latrobe, Penn-Trafford
Armstrong, Fox Chapel, Hampton, Mars, North Hills, Shaler

I played with three 8's but somebody was "left out" in any configuration I came up with...

With four 6's, top TWO in each make an 8-team bracket.
I don't like FOUR non-conference games (week zero players would have five) but this would likely keep everybody "alive" heading to final two weeks.

Probably wasting my time suggesting this because A) I can't see the WPIAL expanding their playoffs, B) I can't see the WPIAL handing out byes for football, C) They certainly aren't going to let teams play at home in the WPIAL 2nd Round and D) The PIAA playoffs simply may make this a moot point but........

I like the 3 conferences of 8 teams.  Top 4 in each for a 12 team bracket.   7 conference games, 2 non-conference (3 if they play Week Zero).  Section Champions and 1 team gets the 1st Round Bye.  It seems like 5A would fit the best at having additional teams in the bracket as it seems to be the most competitive WPIAL Classification. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:42:49 AM by OprtnShtdwn »

HSFootballFan

• Rookie
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2017, 09:58:56 AM »

penn hills twitter states they are going to 5a

BadCallRef

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2017, 10:28:19 AM »

I like your first scenario too, but I can see the powers that be switching Indiana and South Fayette.

I would find it hard to believe that they would put SF in the same section as TJ, WM, BVA, Ringgold, etc. I would think the strength of that potential conference vs. the lack of strength of the other conference (especially with the loss of Mars also) would play a major role in keeping SF up north.

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2017, 10:40:32 AM »

I like your first scenario too, but I can see the powers that be switching Indiana and South Fayette.

I would find it hard to believe that they would put SF in the same section as TJ, WM, BVA, Ringgold, etc. I would think the strength of that potential conference vs. the lack of strength of the other conference (especially with the loss of Mars also) would play a major role in keeping SF up north.
Montour (WPIAL finalist), New Castle (2016 WPIAL finalist) and Beaver Area (WPIAL semifinalist) might object to being tabbed as part of a "lack of strength" conference...

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2017, 01:40:40 PM »

ALL WPIAL Play-Ups

Aliquippa  Boys Basketball  - 3A; Football - 3A

Apollo Ridge  Girls Soccer - 2A; Girls Basketball - 4A

Bishop Canevin  Girls Basketball - 2A

Cardinal Wuerl  Girls Basketball - 4A

Lincoln Park  Boys Basketball - 3A

McKeesport Area  Football - 5A

Neshannock  Girls Basketball - 3A

North Hills  Boys Basketball - 6A

Oakland Catholic  Girls Volleyball - 4A

Serra Catholic  Football - 2A

Shady Side Academy  Boys Tennis - 3A; Girls Tennis - 3A; Boys Golf - 3A; Girls Golf - 3A; Girls Basketball - 3A; Girls Lacrosse - 3A; Boys Lacrosse - 3A

Waynesburg Central  Wrestling - 3A
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10