PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: College Football Playoff: Top 25  (Read 6639 times)

hs

• Hall of Fame
Re: College Football Playoff: Top 25
« Reply #180 on: January 09, 2018, 12:30:53 AM »

What an awesome game. Couldn't ask for much more in a championship game!

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #181 on: January 09, 2018, 10:59:18 AM »

Does this mean that letting a few people pick who should be playing for National Championship is the way it should be done forever?

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2018, 12:23:06 PM »

The system is awful and frankly makes the entire thing meaningless in my mind.

It could be fixed very easily. Expand to 16 teams. Invite all 11 conference champions and then allow 5 selections from the committee.

What we have now just lacks interest to me.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #183 on: January 09, 2018, 01:46:27 PM »

The system is awful and frankly makes the entire thing meaningless in my mind.

It could be fixed very easily. Expand to 16 teams. Invite all 11 conference champions and then allow 5 selections from the committee.

What we have now just lacks interest to me.

The issue with 16 teams is you have to start the playoff earlier than they do now, or go towards the end of January.  I would be all for having every conference champion getting a shot, but I can't see them jumping to 16 anytime soon.  It a century just to get to a 4 team playoff.

The crazy part is they have a system in place in FCS, DII, and DIII that works, but won't use it for FBS.  They need to either give every conference a chance or go back to BCS.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1769-597 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »

Honestly, the best team won again, and during this entire BCS era (1998-2013) and the BCS playoff (2014 to present), only twice that I can think of the best team did not win (2014 Ohio State) or it was disputable (2003 LSU and USC split because they did not play).

I suppose that it depends on what one wants. In certain sports, things tend to work themselves out (NHL, NBA, and MLB the best team tends to win because of the nature of their regular seasons and their playoffs). The NFL and the NCAA hoops tourney the best team does not always win (2005 Colts and 2014 Broncos both come to mind in NFL, and upsets are the name of the game in the NCAA basketball tourney), but that is the nature of single elimination. The college bowl system made the college football regular season the most important in sports. EVERY game mattered (just ask 2007 WVU or 1993 Notre Dame or John Cooper era Ohio State for example). The playoffs with four teams having a shot has taken something away from that. And an expanded playoff would take even more away.

Regarding the UCF argument, it's not as if they could not schedule tougher. They played exactly zero ranked teams before their bowl. Notre Dame for example (who basically hand picks their schedule) played 6 ranked teams plus a 7th in their bowl. I realize that schedules are written years in advance (so the cupcake schedule is not Scott Frost's problem, nor is Brian Kelly responsible for Notre Dame playing a ball breaking schedule) so UCF really needs to look into that for their future if they want to be taken seriously. Become the Fresno State of the south and promise to play "anyone, anywhere." While some teams tend to stay away from tough games, some teams such as Southern Cal and Washington and Notre Dame and Michigan State tend to take teams up on that kind of offer.

Pig

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #185 on: January 09, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »

I feel like the committee has been pretty good last couple years. You can't ask for better playoff games than the 3 we watched this year. If UCF and teams like that want to be taken seriously then do so by how you schedule opponents.  Expanding to 16 teams would require so teams to play 16-17 games. That is way to many for these kids keep in mind they are still students and 90% do not play in NFL

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2018, 10:21:53 PM »

UCF and teams like that have a hard time scheduling Power 5 top teams.  Much like mid majors had hard time getting top NCAA basketball teams to play them.  They definitely have no shot at getting top teams to come to their stadium.

Coincidentally Pitt does play UCF next season. 
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1769-597 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2018, 12:07:32 AM »

Does this mean that letting a few people pick who should be playing for National Championship is the way it should be done forever?

What are you talking about? I made no comment on who was playing just making a comment on the excitement of the game. That is all

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2018, 11:11:57 AM »

I was not referring to you....just the idea if this was such an awesome game, which it turned out to be, then we should just let some small group of people select the opponents and forget about playoffs.  Evidently, they know more than anyone else about college football teams. :)

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #189 on: January 10, 2018, 01:39:40 PM »

Even if there was an 8 or 16 team playoff there would be discernment by a committee or polls or a computer or a combination of all of the above.

Regardless of how we got to where we got to, there are two facts of at least realities:

1. The championship game itself was great and will be a memorable one

And 

2. The best team in college football won. We can alway have the "_______________ could have beaten Alabama" argument  (heck, Pitt beat last year's National Champion, so of course UCF or Ohio State could have won), but to say that Alabama would have lost to anyone, including Auburn, is silly to say.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2018, 02:52:34 PM »

In my opinion, it was done right this year. the 4 best teams got in and the semi final games and championship game were all great.

If they went to a 16 team playoff bracket next season, I would bet my paycheck we would all be on here again at the same time next year and people would be complaining about that 17th team that deserved to get in. It will never be perfect

BALDWINTRACK

• All State
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2018, 04:30:25 PM »

I just donít like it because there are 70 teams that have NO CHANCE to compete for a championship. There is not any other NCAA sport or level of football that can be said in.

Do I think the best team won? Yes. Still doesnít make me like it.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]