PSB

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the New PSB

Author Topic: 80 years ago softball Story  (Read 159 times)

Jerry

• Hall of Fame
80 years ago softball Story
« on: October 08, 2017, 09:02:18 PM »

A friend I walk with in the pool's husband has a mother who played softball back in the 30's. Five years ago she went to a home and met a women who played on the same team, but she was five years younger and they did not know each other. This summer she moved to a home in E-town and a few weeks later my friend said Rich's mom just met a women whos her same age, 98, and she did play against this one on different teams. So he called the newspaper and they came out and talked to them and finally did the story on Tuesday and here it is. Something to meet one, but Bessie me two. I saw that uniform before it was framed for her 93rd birthday and it looked almost like new.

http://lancasteronline.com/features/together/after-years-memories-of-lancaster-county-girls-softball-league-are/article_9ac078b6-a9ec-11e7-90ba-3372649aba89.html
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:09:16 PM by Jerry »

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
Re: 80 years ago softball Story
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 11:10:02 PM »

Great story Jerry.

Jerry

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 12:22:41 AM »

Yes, I thought it was next to impossible when she met the first one. Then about two months ago, she says guess what Rick, that's her husband was up to see his mom and she introduces him to this lady who she actually did play against way back then. When she finally met her she told me this women worked full time till she was 91. Now I already know you have family that outdid that but it's not that often heard of.

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 02:00:31 PM »

love stories like this, and I love the satin uniforms in the team photo with the boy.

The elderly are so interesting and have great stories, walking talking history books. I miss my grandparents

Jerry

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »

Bessie's daughter-in-law has been my good friend for over six years and I was able to hear many good stories about her playing baseball and her love of the game for those whole six years. Actually her own mother lived to be 93 and she used to come along to the pool and walk around the track for a mile, she drove till her death and I was lucky to actually call her a friend too as I saw and talked to her many times. I always told both my friend and her husband, who became a friend to, that they were very lucky to have both parents to live and be very active well into their 90's.

I knew six weeks ago the paper was going to do this story and I could hardly wait so I could post it on here and people like you could enjoy it.