PSB

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the New PSB-To login click login above username box

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34

Author Topic: Steeler season  (Read 8348 times)

Nicky

• All State
Re: Steeler season
« Reply #450 on: January 03, 2018, 07:32:34 AM »

I like the good old fashioned spike the ball after a TD.  Or handing to an OL to spike it.  Or doing the super spike like Gronk does. 
"there is a light that never goes out"

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #451 on: January 05, 2018, 04:30:03 PM »

Steelers 1st team All-Pros

WR-Antonio Brown
RG-David DeCastro
FLEX- LeVeon Bell
Interior DL- Cam Heyward

2nd team

RB - Le'Veon Bell

Kamara is 2nd team FLEX(only rookie ALL-PRO it looks like, easily could of been snubbed for Gurley the 1st team All-Pro RB), kind of surprised Lattimore or White(BUF) didn't make 2nd team. Both Jaguars CBs are ALL-PRO, Ramsay 1st team, Bouye 2nd team.

AB was the only unanimous choice
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:55:21 PM by Tiger4Lyfe »

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #452 on: January 12, 2018, 10:10:10 AM »

Report out that Bell will consider sitting out an entire year or retiring if the Steelers franchise him again next season. A lot of discrepancies in this article for Bell saying he doesn't care about the money, he just wants to set a level for other running backs but he turned down a contract the Steelers were willing to give him that would've paid him 30 million the first two years! I'm not sure what he is thinking:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/leveon-bell-would-definitely-consider-sitting-out-2018-or-retiring-if-given-franchise-tag-again/ar-AAuzr8Y?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=DELLDHP

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #453 on: January 12, 2018, 10:30:43 AM »

The NFLPA and it's players on principal hate the franchise tag. Just a lack of guaranteed money. He turned down 30 million guaranteed from the Steelers before.

Also doing a second franchise tag is a way of negotiating in poor faith. Just look at what is going on in Washington with Cousins. There is almost no way that Cousins comes back to Washington. They would at this point have to overpay in terms of guaranteed money the same way that a bad team i.e. Cleveland would have to overpay.

With all of that said if they cannot come to an agreement he would be foolish not to accept the franchise tag and the 14 million plus that comes with it. I respect if he truly wants to set a precedent or not set a precedent as he puts it, but 14 million is a lot to turn down on principal, and he has no leverage in terms of signing elsewhere. Obviously the Steelers at that point can choose to trade his rights and someone will pay both him and the trade price, but that does not seem like an ideal situation for anyone involved.

BALDWINTRACK

• Varsity
« Reply #454 on: January 12, 2018, 06:34:39 PM »

It is nice to see he is focused on the playoffs.

In my opinion heís trying to be a distraction intentionally in hopes that the Steelers decide to trade him.

This also isnít anything like Cousins to me. Different position. Bell after next season wouldnít command nearly as much guaranteed money as he would have on the market after last year. Whee Cousins could have improved his value on the open market over the same two years.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #455 on: January 13, 2018, 07:00:22 AM »

BT I agree completely with your first two statements  (regarding the timing and maybe his motive). Just like New England making headlines in recent weeks this kind of distraction is the last thing that the Steelers need after what has been a quiet two or three weeks.

However I don't see how this is so different from Cousins? Washington by not negotiating a long term contract with him and franchising him a second time basically cut off all good faith negotiations. That is all. The same will be had here if there is a second franchise tag on Bell. No doubt because of the nature of the position Cousins emerges stronger on the open market, but the same thing would have been true two years ago also because of the nature of the position. Cousins has been good in each of the last three years. It's not as if he was having the Flacco trajectory before the out of nowhere Superbowl run.

The difference I suppose is that Bell is comparitively better at his position than Cousins is at his vs his peers, but part of the whole reason for this protest (or grandstanding) is RB salaries vs QB salaries. With that said Bell stands to make just as much I would imagine after the 400 touch season. He proved finally to be durable and proved much like Gurley in LA that a good RB still has value.

Again, I don't mind the Steelers playing hardball with this. RBs truly do have a shelf life, and they are not ho they are by being foolish and wasteful. I am just defending Bell also that he truly is worth whatever he thinks that he is. It is just a matter of who will pay him (and when).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:04:07 AM by yannessa_is_god »

BALDWINTRACK

• Varsity
« Reply #456 on: January 13, 2018, 08:27:14 AM »

In my opinion the fact that Bell is a RB makes being franchised much more difficult for the player is all Iím saying.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #457 on: January 13, 2018, 08:48:43 AM »

In my opinion the fact that Bell is a RB makes being franchised much more difficult for the player is all Iím saying.

Oh ok true. I misread what you were saying. Absolutely with thr lack of shelf life and risk of injury his chances at a big payday will absolutely decrease while in a league where Matt Flynn earned a contract for essentially one game of work Cousins will be ok even if he does not perform his best.

Pig

• Jr. Varsity
« Reply #458 on: January 14, 2018, 04:02:41 PM »

Anyone else feel its time to make a change at D coordinator. They have been below average since Lebeau left

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
« Reply #459 on: January 14, 2018, 04:45:30 PM »

There is plenty of embarrassment to go around for this performance---Ben's failure to take care of the football, leading Jacksonville to two touchdowns; Haley's calls on fourth & short twice; Butler's defensive failures, particularly late; Tomlin's lack of leadership in preparation, use of time outs, decision to on-side kick. If I'm Ryan Shazier, I'd just as soon the players lose the #50 shirts/bibs/towels/etc.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #460 on: January 14, 2018, 05:02:09 PM »

I have never been impressed with Butler as the DC.  Just because he coached with LeBeau does not mean he knew what LaBeau knew.
The need to make a clean sweep and get rid of Haley as well.  I can see Ben saying..If he is back next year....I will not be. Make a choice..me or him to the Rooney's IMHO

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #461 on: January 14, 2018, 05:04:49 PM »

CBS post game said that Ben checked out of a run on one of those 4th and short plays and went to a pass so that would be clearly on Ben. Still not sure why Ben won't do a QB sneak and I hope someone asks him in his post game interview. I know the last time he was asked he said he just runs the plays that are called, which is BS because he just checked out of a 4th and short call.

A 6'5", 250 pound QB that won't do a QB sneak?

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #462 on: January 14, 2018, 05:12:07 PM »

Stat on twitter that Ben is 18-19 on sneaking on 4th and 1 in his career.  Best conversion rate since he has been in the league.

The one he checked (if he did) he had an open WR but threw to a different one that was being held.

Bottom line is they scored 42 and lost to Blake Bortles.
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1762-592 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

Nicky

• All State
« Reply #463 on: January 14, 2018, 05:16:16 PM »

42 points were scored today.  Enough points were scored against the Pats last month as well.  In that game, the D let Gronk catch 4 in a row with Sean Davis single coverage to lose the game.  Today, the onside kick call was the biggest head scratcher.  Kick deep, use the 2-minute warning as your third timeout and the Jags are punting instead of kicking a FG. 
"there is a light that never goes out"

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #464 on: January 14, 2018, 06:45:50 PM »

Was at the game. It was hard to tell about the 1st 4th and 1 play, if it was called by Haley or not, but the 2nd 4th and I looked like a run, but was definately audibled out of by BR. He threw to JuJu, but had Rogers wide open about 3-4 yds downfield, an easy completion for a first down. But, BR rarely looks for the easy pitch and catch, usually opting for longer throws. That said, he did convert a 4th down with a TD to Brown. I don't know why BR won't qb sneak anymore. I'd think the risk of injury is less than standing in the pocket or scrambling and throwing on the run. Anyway, in the future, in these situations, just use a direct snap to an RB.

As for the defense, Jax really seemed to catch them off guard with the play action fakes and screens. Jax has no wrs to speak of and Burns and Haden can take two of them out by themselves. Really no reason not to run biltz every play and tackle Fornett on the way to Bortles. Maybe the defense just missed Shazier that much. I'd say, if Shazier cannot return at all or can, but not with the same speed and/or skills, I think it's time for the Steelers do dump the 3-4, draft a DL early and switch to a 4-3 with Dupress and Watt as the OLBs. But, give credit to Jax's OC, he had the Steeler D off-balance the whole game. He called a great game. To be fair, no one's calling for Jax's DC to be fired as his highly ranked defense gave up 42 points w/o even their offense turning the ball over. Jax's talkative dbs were torched all over the field.

Let me add, the Jax INT was entirely on McDonald who could neither catch the pass nor break up the INT.

My seats are up near the top of the stadium, so it was hard to tell, but the wind seemed to be a factor in the 1st half. Was it? I could see the streamers on top of the goal posts blowing out toward the closed end of the field.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 06:53:48 PM by bfgrad »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34