PSB

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the New PSB

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Steeler season  (Read 1784 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
Re: Steeler season
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2017, 09:54:40 PM »

hs, perhaps you'll recall the hooha years ago when the players did not vote Ben as one of the captains. IIRC, the next year, the players still got to vote, but the head coach named Ben a captain without revealing how the players voted. I think since then the head coach has named the team captains. To me, that first vote was the most telling about how his teammates view BR. I believe they tolerate BR and his drama queen antics because he helps them win. And the game is all about winning. I don't think he's a beloved figure in the locker room or viewed as a true leader. I think the leaders on the team are Heyward, Mitchell, Foster and Pouncey.

I doubt AB was targeted a lot because he got mad on the sideline, but mostly because he's the best receiver in the NFL and BR doesn't seem to trust throwing to anyone else.

As for the locker room, there's this from LaCanfora fwiw: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/antonio-browns-week-4-sideline-tirade-had-roots-in-steelers-week-3-anthem-decision/
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:58:09 PM by bfgrad »

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2017, 10:26:41 PM »

Yes, bfgrad, I remember all of that. I don't know if I have said this before on this blog but I did security at Heinz Field for several years and I was posted at the locker room for the Steelers and Pitt and I saw a lot of scumbag stuff done by Ben (and some other players) and I lost a lot of respect for Ben after seeing him avoid kids to not sign autographs and even watched him call Steelers personal security and kick out a kid who was waiting for his dad who was a cameraman because the kid was "standing in the wrong area". Remember when the Steelers would go to high schools and play basketball against the teachers to raise money? A lot of schools would request any players but Ben because he would avoid people at the end of the game to not sign autographs.

I bring all this up not to trash Ben but to give some background to say I know Ben turned his life around by the looks of it but I am not a fan of Ben and probably never will be so I know he is no angel and not the voice of reason in that locker room

maybe this whole thing just falls on Tomlin's lap? maybe he has no control over that locker room and doesn't know how to manage all these huge egos?

Nicky

• All State
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2017, 11:13:50 PM »

Probably wouldn't have mattered in the long run, but DeCastro's holding penalty cost Ben/AB a touchdown that would have made the score 23-16 with almost 4 minutes left.  If that score stands, who knows. Ben threw another INT a play or two later because they were suddenly 2nd and long or 3rd and long instead of being down just 7 points. 

Again, I know that play didn't cost them the game.  But it cost them cutting it to a one possession game.  And it was actually one of Ben's better throws of the day on a play AB got behind Ramsey. 
"There is no dark side of the moon, really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark"

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2017, 04:17:13 AM »

True. I totally forgot about that play.

My take for two and a half quarters the Steelers did not play awful (as they did in Chicago for example). They just weren't finishing drives, then Ben became a turnover machine and the game got out of hand.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2017, 07:02:57 AM »

Interesting stuff, hs. It's just my sense and observations, but from day 1, BR has always struck me as phony as a 3 dollar bill. I'll always remember Fanaca's disparaging comment when BR took over for Maddox. Maybe he's matured/evolved and keeps his jerk side underwraps, but I'm not sure people really change. Anyhow, pro athletes will put up with a lot in order to win championships.

As for the turning point of the game, I think it was the first INT on a pass intended for McDonald. The db did cut in front of him, but not so far in front that McDonald couldn't have broken the play up. The Steelers had been on a nice drive starting on their own 4 yd line at the time and looked to be marching in for another score. Instead Jax ended up with a TD. The offense just wasn't the same after that play.

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2017, 11:26:17 AM »

Terry Bradshaw's assessment of Tomlin a year or so ago was spot on.  The inmates run that asylum.

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2017, 01:17:15 PM »

Probably wouldn't have mattered in the long run, but DeCastro's holding penalty cost Ben/AB a touchdown that would have made the score 23-16 with almost 4 minutes left.  If that score stands, who knows. Ben threw another INT a play or two later because they were suddenly 2nd and long or 3rd and long instead of being down just 7 points. 

Again, I know that play didn't cost them the game.  But it cost them cutting it to a one possession game.  And it was actually one of Ben's better throws of the day on a play AB got behind Ramsey.

yeah, that penalty killed any comeback.

Terry Bradshaw is a paid clown that is jealous and still holds a grudge. Nothing he says about the current team is correct, he has no real insight. He knows more about the Saints than Steelers.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:23:39 PM by Tiger4Lyfe »

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2017, 03:39:19 PM »

We had season tickets and I saw Bradshaw play plenty of times. The fans were brutal on him when he was a young qb. Bradshaw was carted off the field one game right before halftime and the fans cheered. He was a bust, a hick, dumb (despite calling his own plays every game), you name it. If he doesn't have a good relationship with Pgh now, that might be a big part of the reason.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2017, 04:54:27 PM »

Interesting stuff, hs. It's just my sense and observations, but from day 1, BR has always struck me as phony as a 3 dollar bill. I'll always remember Fanaca's disparaging comment when BR took over for Maddox. Maybe he's matured/evolved and keeps his jerk side underwraps, but I'm not sure people really change. Anyhow, pro athletes will put up with a lot in order to win championships.

As for the turning point of the game, I think it was the first INT on a pass intended for McDonald. The db did cut in front of him, but not so far in front that McDonald couldn't have broken the play up. The Steelers had been on a nice drive starting on their own 4 yd line at the time and looked to be marching in for another score. Instead Jax ended up with a TD. The offense just wasn't the same after that play.

Ya, I could probably write a book with some of the stuff I saw. Since the topic of Bradshaw came up, I was asked to be one of his security people when he came back to Heinz Field for I think it was for the 75th anniversary of the Steelers and if I remember correctly they were honoring the Steelers greatest players. Bradshaw, Bettis, Swan, Lloyd were there just to name a few. Bradshaw was pretty drunk and just would not stop talking, laughing and constantly cracking jokes about Steeler stuff from back in the day. I had a blast.

Also the Browns were in town for a game one day  and Jim Brown was with them and I was asked to go around with him and keep people from massing around him. He talked to me a lot and thanked me a hundred times for what I was doing for him. What a nice man.

And IMO, Troy Pollamalu. Probably the best Steeler and possibly the nicest human being I ever had a chance to talk to. I would put Tunch Ilkin at #2 on that list also
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:33:31 AM by hs »

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2017, 05:34:23 PM »

In other news, the Saints traded Adrian Peterson to the Arizona Cardinals for a 6th round pick. Saints should've never picked him up in the first place. He was never a good fit in NO.

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #190 on: October 15, 2017, 03:49:26 PM »

Ravens bout to lose to the Bears, looked like they may come back, Flacco just threw a 90 yd pick 6.

Mitch Trubisky bout to win his debut, so far he has completed 5 passes, lol. One for a TD though. Tarik Cohen also threw a TD pass that would make Walter Payton proud.

Around the league:
Aaron Rodgers out a while with broken collarbone, down 13 to Vikings. Some speculation of Tony Romo or Colin Kaepernick as replacements, hope Romo stays in booth, especially if it means Phil Simms is back in it with Nantz for the CBS gotw and TNF

SF benches Hoyer, Beathard led them back to tie up Redskins

DeShaun Watson show continues

Falcons down 3 to Dolphins

Eli Rogers active today, Ramon Foster and Justin Hunter inactive. Chiefs WR Albert Wilson out.

Baltimore gets FG so it's back to a 1 possession game with 2:55 left. 24-16 Bears. They going get ball back with almost 2 minutes left, depends on the punt but should be decent field position

Jets-Pats closer than expected, Jets jumped out to 14-0 lead, now losing 24-17
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:03:47 PM by Tiger4Lyfe »

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #191 on: October 15, 2017, 04:05:12 PM »

wow Ravens run punt back 77 yards, Flacco ties it with 2pt pass to TE Nick Boyle

24-24 going to OT

2 touchdowns from special teams

Dolphins beat the Falcons 20-17

Saints may be blowing 35pt lead, 45-31 11:03 left was 45-10

Adrian Peterson just ran for a 27yd TD for his new team(4-54-1)

25 seconds into RAMS vs Jags it's 7-7. Rams returned kickoff for TD then Leonard Fournette 75 yard rush TD on first offensive play
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:16:00 PM by Tiger4Lyfe »

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #192 on: October 15, 2017, 04:11:53 PM »

If the Saints blow this lead you may be reading about a man who threw himself off a bridge!

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2017, 04:23:23 PM »

45-38, Brees throws pick 6 backed up in his own end zone. Bills comeback record may go down(32pts 35-3 against Oilers in playoffs early 90s, great game)

Stafford does same thing! 52-38 still 5:00 left

Bears win 27-24 in OT, takes some pressure off Steelers. Dont have to win today
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:29:00 PM by Tiger4Lyfe »

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #194 on: October 15, 2017, 05:19:58 PM »

Saints win 52-38. A huge sigh of relief comes from Who Dat Nation! And the Saints play the Packers next week without Aaron Rodgers. NFC South is wide open this year and probably the most entertaining division
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14