PSB

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the New PSB

Author Topic: Pink Floyd 50th anniversary of "Pipers" is this week  (Read 343 times)

Nicky

• All State
Pink Floyd 50th anniversary of "Pipers" is this week
« on: July 31, 2017, 11:16:17 PM »

August 5th, 1967 was the release of Pink Floyd's debut "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" and signifies the mainstream birth of acid tinged psychedelic guitar based rock.  Includes the massive, 9+ minute classic Interstellar Overdrive. 

The Floyd are easily tied with The Beatles as my fav band ever.  Rolling Stones #3.  1963-1973 in England must have been unfrickingbelievable when you add in The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Animals and Jimi Hendrix. 
"there is a light that never goes out"

emm8

• All State
Re: Pink Floyd 50th anniversary of "Pipers" is this week
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 11:20:45 PM »

Rolling Stones #3. 1963-1973 in England must have been unfrickingbelievable when you add in The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Animals and Jimi Hendrix.

Understatement...(NOT!)

I was in hs from Sep '69 - Jun '73.  When I went into hs my top 3 were:

1. Stones
2. Animals
3. Yardbirds (forerunner of Led Zepplin and others, included Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, and Eric Clapton at one time or another)

* I had an 8-track player in my ride...with a reverberator hooked up to it! *  8)

When I left hs my top 3 were:

1. Stones
2. Doors
3. Animals

Four (4) years later ('77), when I left college, my top 3 were:

1. Stones
2. Doors
3. Springsteen

Forty (40) years later (being that I still live in Edinboro, and still living the college life), my top 3 still are:

1. Stones
2. Doors
3. Springsteen

* Note * 4th would be all of the above mentioned in both your and my post, in no particular order...and subject to change on a daily basis!   ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:37:39 PM by emm8 »

emm8

• All State
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:43:22 PM »

All that said above, I now listen to way more music that was created by bands in the past 3 years than I do the good ole' days.  Always looking for something new!

Nicky

• All State
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 04:13:07 PM »

All that said above, I now listen to way more music that was created by bands in the past 3 years than I do the good ole' days.  Always looking for something new!

Literally the exact opposite of me!!  I am forever entrenched in two eras of Britain: First Wave between '63 and '73 (Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Led Zep).  Second Wave between '85 and '99 (The Smiths, The Cure, The Cult, Oasis, Jesus & Mary Chain).  I graduated GCCHS in 1989, directly in the middle of the second wave. 

I can count on one hand the music I've purchased from bands/acts formed after 2000.
"there is a light that never goes out"

Downriver

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 05:37:36 PM »

I agree Nicky.  Pre 2000 is where it's at. How can you not love a band with 3 drummers and Warren Haynes & Derek Trucks on guitar as well as Greg Allman on keyboards.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:05:36 PM by Downriver »

emm8

• All State
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 06:30:29 PM »

How can you not love a band with 3 drummers and Warren Hayes & Derek Trucks on guitar as well as Greg Allman on keyboards.

I've recently seen both these guys.  Warren Haynes band (Gov't Mule) is a modern day 2017 Allman Brothers type jam band.  And Derek Trucks merged his band with his wife Susan Tedeschi's band to form The Tedeschi Trucks Band.  They feature the great guitar work, but add a great horn section, and some blues/soul backup singers.

FYI  Gov't Mule is at Stage AE on Sunday August 13th

PS I still listen to the Stones and Doors etc...just not as often as the newer stuff.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 06:35:59 PM by emm8 »