PSB

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the New PSB

Author Topic: Pitt 2017  (Read 397 times)

Nicky

• All State
Pitt 2017
« on: June 28, 2017, 10:25:00 PM »

Never too early!

Seems most pundits foresee Pitt with a real chance to take the Coastal.  VT, Miami and UNC had a combined 14 offensive players leave early for the NFL (thank goodness).  And all three of them have a lot of predicted growing pains in filling those shoes. 

A couple publications have used Pitt's in-conference schedule as a reason for optimism - they are the only ACC team who doesn't play FSU, Louisville or Clemson.  Assuming at least two of VT, UNC and Miami lose their games against the Big 3, and those losses count towards their Coastal record, Pitt figures to start the year a game up on at least two of their main competition being the only Coastal team not to play the Big 3.

CFN lists Narduzzi as the ACC coach most on the hot seat to take a step forward this year to a bigger bowl after losing two straight mid-level bowls (and going 1-5 in their last six bowls total).

Quadre Henderson and Jordan Whitehead have been named to multiple preseason teams!
"There is no dark side of the moon, really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark"

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
Re: Pitt 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 02:15:09 PM »

A couple publications have used Pitt's in-conference schedule as a reason for optimism - they are the only ACC team who doesn't play FSU, Louisville or Clemson.  Assuming at least two of VT, UNC and Miami lose their games against the Big 3, and those losses count towards their Coastal record, Pitt figures to start the year a game up on at least two of their main competition being the only Coastal team not to play the Big 3.

Ugh...that's the kind of logic that frustrates me when it comes to Pitt (traditionally anyways...to be fair Narduzzi is still navigating his way through the minefield that is Pitt over the past 20 years).

Logically...absolutely that schedule looks sweet! In theory if all four teams are equal then yes this looks great for Pitt. But in years past it has not been beyond them to beat the likes of Clemson but lose to the likes of Virginia or Duke.

What I would love to see though is them feast on that schedule and finally beat "the U" as well, who them have not had much success against even in their down years, aside of course from them beating them in their must-win season finale in 2014 down in Miami.

Nicky

• All State
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »

Logically...absolutely that schedule looks sweet! In theory if all four teams are equal then yes this looks great for Pitt

Yea at first I was like big deal, they sneak by not playing the Big 3.  But, when I read it explained in full that literally every other Coastal team will lose a game to the Big 3 - save for a Pitt like upset last year over Clemson -  it really and truly is like starting a game up on everyone. 

I don't see a big upset anywhere like Pitt>Clemson.  I think the big difference in Pitt's upset last year was having four drafted offensive stars that matched Clemson drive for drive.  UNC, VT, UM and GT do not have that this year.  All four are breaking in new QBs. I see all four losing to the Big 3. 

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 02:49:08 PM »

maybe if the coaches can figure the offensive best 11 guys before ACC play starts.

I think the defense will be a lot better than Narduzzi's first 2 seasons.

BALDWINTRACK

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 05:40:02 PM »

Don't know anything about the new Miami qb but he's got to be better than Brad Kaaya.

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 08:42:14 PM »

Whitehead suspended 3 games and Blair kicked off the team for violating team rules. 
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1755-587 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

Nicky

• All State
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 10:35:59 AM »

What did Whitehead and Wirginis do to get more games than Bookster?  How does Bookster only get one game for a DUI, evading police, hitting two cars and wrecking into a building.  Really think only missing the YSU game is a slap on the wrist. 

Also hearing that Paris Ford is in the fight of his life to even get eligible enough for acceptance into Pitt.  No idea how he'll handle the workload once he's on campus.  Narduzzi said they "have a plan" to get him enrolled and eligible.  Might be enough to get him in, but doesn't sound promising long term. 

KernKraft400

• Varsity
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 01:41:34 PM »

The non-FSU/Clemson/Louisville thing sounds silly when you first read it.  But does make sense after you think it thru.  Definitely a game up for Pitt on the rest of the Coastal.

Shocked that Bookster only got one game.  Really shocked.  He did a lot of bad things that night.

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 09:35:49 PM »

yeah I really wouldn't of thought they went too far if Bookser  was dismissed. We dont know what kind of past locker room character these guys had before this, but it does seem strange to give Bookser 1 game and these other guys multiple games. Guess it is important to remember that Narduzzi is a coach, not a judge and it's not HCPC's job to prosecute Bookser for what he did, just that he broke a team rule and punish him for that, after it was decided he wouldn't be expelled by the university, the details of Bookser's drunken rampage arent that important and how he's behaved in the past while footballing is probably what the coach is looking at. Boyd got similar punishment for a similar offense, Blair was suspended as well back in 2015 with Boyd and this year Blair got the boot.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:54:46 PM by Tiger4Lyfe »

coach99

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 10:19:11 AM »

Am I wrong or has Whitehead been disciplined before?

Tiger4Lyfe

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 08:42:13 PM »

Am I wrong or has Whitehead been disciplined before?

I think he has but I'm not positive it was actual discipline, I seem to remember it being explained as personal reasons. when I tried searching for it the other day all I could find was articles from this suspension. I remember him missing a game unexpectedly

BALDWINTRACK

• Varsity
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 01:39:31 PM »

I'm no Pitt fan but I don't hate them either. From an unbiased perspective, I think 9-3 would be great. 8-4 would be expected. 7-5 wouldn't be a total disaster. I think they have 5 games they'll probably be an underdog in. Penn St, Oklahoma St, Miami, UNC and Virginia Tech. If they can win two of them and beat everybody else for a 9-3 season, that's all any fan could hope for.

I'd be worried about the offense. Browne was really bad at USC. And what they did after he was benched would concern me a lot. The defense should improve but I'm not sure it's realistic to imagine the overall performance of the team to be any better than last season.