PSB

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the New PSB

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Penguins off-season  (Read 3756 times)

hs

• Hall of Fame
Re: Penguins off-season
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2017, 03:53:37 PM »

Pens sign Dumoulin for 6 years, 4.1M cap hit/year (24.6M total).

A little pricey IMO but I think that is in the ball park of what they paid Maatta so probably not a bad deal. I did think they would get him for a little cheaper though. People will complain if the Pens can't afford a 3rd line center after these arbitration hearings or if they have to trade away a significant forward but don't blame Sheary or Dunoulin. IMO, blame Shero for giving that huge contract to Letang. Great defenseman when he is on the ice and I stress, when he is on the ice.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2017, 07:07:28 PM »

Good deal. Slightly more than I figured that he was worth but not the slap in the face 1.95 million or whatever it was that the Pens apparently thought that he was worth.

With that said they now have a lot of money tied up in some "no name" d-men, aside from what Letang is still making. They really need these guys to play to the level of their contracts from here on out!

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2017, 08:39:34 PM »

I thought it was a little high as well, but it's 6 years and afaik, there's not a NTC/NMC clause.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2017, 09:17:19 PM »

I thought it was a little high as well, but it's 6 years and afaik, there's not a NTC/NMC clause.

I agree with what Madden said today. "It's a little pricey now, but in 2 years it will be a bargain". With the way prices to pay these athletes, he is probably right

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »

Pens hire Scott Young as Recchi's replacement in player development.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2017, 03:32:04 PM »

Pens sign Sheary, 3 yrs, 9M total. It seems like overpaying for Sheary, though. I won't be surprised if he ends up part of a trade package now that whoever gets him will know he won't be a UFA for 3 years.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2017, 11:59:10 PM »

Pens sign Sheary, 3 yrs, 9M total. It seems like overpaying for Sheary, though. I won't be surprised if he ends up part of a trade package now that whoever gets him will know he won't be a UFA for 3 years.

I agree. A little pricey for Sheary especially when he was in the head coach's dog house for a lot of the season. With this signing Rutherford has roughly 6 million to play with to trade for and possibly sign a 3rd line center and maybe another defenseman

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2017, 05:36:13 AM »

They have just over 3M left in cap space now.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2017, 08:31:33 AM »

They have just over 3M left in cap space now.

You're right. My math sucks! Started off with 10 million, signed Schultz for 4 and Sheary for 3

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2017, 01:10:35 PM »

The guy who started Capgeek, sadly, passed away, but this successor site, https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/penguins, is the same and also improved.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2017, 01:36:03 PM »

Sid turned 30. Wow, it seems like just yesterday he was an 18 yr old phenom arriving in Pgh.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2017, 04:35:06 PM »

Matt Cullen signs a 1 year deal with the Wild for 1 million dollars. Said also to have 700K in performance bonuses written in. Cullen says that was one of the hardest calls he had to make to Jim Rutherford. He said he just wanted to be closer to home

To me, this really hurts the Penguins. What was once one of their greatest strengths, the center position depth, is now a weakness with Bonino and Cullen leaving. We will see if Rutherford can make any magic in a trade

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »

At least Cullen was honest about it and "went home" so good for him. But yes they could have used him.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2017, 02:56:41 PM »

At least Cullen was honest about it and "went home" so good for him. But yes they could have used him.

He was very honest about it and it looked like the Pens would've paid him just about the same amount so it was not a money grab.

Losing Cullen, Kunitz, Bonino, Daley and even Hainsey might hurt this team in the long, grueling hockey season but I am really looking forward to seeing some young guys step up this season

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2017, 04:22:04 PM »

I'd really look forward to seeing a 3rd of Guentzel cetering Hagelin and Kessel. I think those 3 would be dynamite together given opponents will focus on Sid and Geno's lines first and second. There are plenty of fast young forwards for Sid and Geno among Sheary/Rust/Sprong/Kuhnackl, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8