PSB

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the New PSB-To login click login above username box

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Penguins off-season  (Read 5875 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
Re: Penguins off-season
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 06:32:36 PM »

Rutherford told the UFA Penguins to go ahead and test free agency. If interested in returning to Pgh, the players can come back to Rutherford with their offer to see what the Pens could do.

Cullen says he'll only play in Pgh if he decides to return. Kunitz wants to keep playing. I could see a team like Edm making him an offer because of his 4 Cup rings, his ability to mentor their young stars and his western CA roots. Bonino will probably get an offer of more than the Pens can pay, but perhaps will take a bit less to stay. I expect Schultz and Dumoulin and Sheary will be re-signed as RFAs.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 11:53:05 PM »

I said earlier in the season that Kunitz would be a good fit in Edmonton so yes I can see something like that. I can also see Philly or Washington paying too much for Bonino

I can't see Cullen coming back and I think we will lose either Schultz or Dumoulin

I would love to see Rutherford trade Hagelin. His production really dropped off last season

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 11:54:56 PM »

In other news, Anaheim will be waiving Simon Despres for buyout purposes. He missed most of the past 2 season with concussion issues and at only age 25, his career might be over. Sad news. I thought he had a lot of potential

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 02:49:08 AM »

That is sad news as I think he was just coming into his own as a hockey player. I hope the kid can at least recover to lead a normal life.

Pens are hoping LV takes MAF and ignores Cole/Schultz/Dumoulin, but they might not. I figure McPhee will try to sign Alzner as a UFA since he drafted and developed Alzner in Wash.

NYR still regret trading Hagelin, so there's a trading partner if the Pens wish. Hagelin didn't play with Kessel much last season, so his production was more in line with his career norms. Without Kessel, Bonino didn't have a great season or post-season either. But when Sprong plays next year, Pens will have either him/Hornqvist or Kessel as the 3rd line rw. That will open things up for the bottom 6 to be much more productive.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 06:51:15 PM »

Mike Buckley new goalie coach. Reportedly he was being promoted regardless so Mike Bales took a lateral move and joined Car as their goalie coach. Buckley is also supposed to be close with Murray.

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 11:25:04 PM »

That's a strange one. I thought that Bales did a solid job. Maybe he was too much Mike Johnston/MAF for the Sullivan/Murray regime?

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 07:22:05 AM »

That appears to be the case, YIG. PG reports that Bales was caught completely off-guard. For an organization that prides itself one how it treats its employees, they way Bales was forced out was pretty classless.

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 10:59:20 AM »

Pens chose to protect 8 + G rather than 7F, 3D.

Per Mackey the list:
Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist, Letang, Schultz, Dumoulin, Maatta and Murray.

They protected as many d-men as they could due to lack of organizational depth. I'm thinking there's likely at least a hand-shake deal w/McPhee to take MAF otherwise, Cole or one of the younger forwards would be tempting. I probably wouldn't have protected Hornqvist over Sheary/Sundqvist/Hagelin.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 12:35:55 PM »

I agree. Hornqvist was a weird choice to protect. I know they have that young kid (forget his name right now) that was touted to be Hornqvist's replacement

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 02:01:26 PM »

Hornqvist does have at least some kind of NMC/NTC clause, so that's probably why.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 05:51:31 PM »

Pens sign Ruhwedel to a 2 year deal today worth an annual $650,00.

Good deal. Nice signing Rutherford. Now let's work on Shultz

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 06:30:04 PM »

Schedule came out earlier today.

Opener and home opener is 10/4 vs St. Louis Blues have not played each other in an opener since 1977. In the 60s and 70s this was the Pens' hottest rival.

Their "BYE" week is 1/8 thru 1/12.

And of course 2/6 is MAF'S return to Pittsburgh.  Will be an unusually hot ticket I would assume (considering that the oponent will likely be near the bottom of the Western Conference standings). I know that I am interested in going if the price is right.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:31:48 PM by yannessa_is_god »

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 08:48:11 PM »

I already told my boss at my new job I need 2/6 off to go to the game! I'll be the one YIG in section 202 Row D wearing the Vegas Fleury jersey!

KidRaven

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 11:54:06 PM »

Weird the NHL would send St Louis for the home opener/banner ceremony.  The NFL always does a great job of letting Super Bowl winner open the year at home and play a rival or a rematch of the SB (when possible).

Last year the Pens hosted the Caps and you would think that would be a better choice.  Heck, send Nashville back to Pittsburgh to open the season and let Rinne get lit up again. 
Uniontown Red Raider Basketball: 1768-596 Record
4 PIAA Titles; 8 WPIAL Titles; 47 Section Titles

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 09:09:52 AM »

Or even if the Blues would have opened last season (2 50th Anniversary teams). But yes seems like a weird choice. Pens second game is at Chicago so they are getting a couple of West foes put of the way early.

As for Fleury for me he is one of the few players that I can think of that transcends the teams/rivalries. If he were a Flyer I would honestly be pulling for the Flyers, or if he was a Capital or Blackhawk or Bruin, etc. Not over the Pens of course,  but that would be the only tolerable way to see these teams win a cup. So since that 2/6 game is just one of 82, I would love to see MAF come into PGH and shutout the Pens.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8