PSB

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome - Use login button below to enter.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Pens post-season  (Read 310 times)

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
Re: Pens post-season
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »

I guess winning 2 Stanley Cup championships can give a coach a feeling of invincibility. The coaching self life in the NHL seems short compared to the other major sports. Perhaps that's leading to short term thinking on Sullivan's part and why he rode his main horses (Crosby, Malkin, Letang) so hard this season despite the GM saying not to. If your career is going to last an average 3-5 years, a coach might want to win as many championships as possible, consequences be da***ed.

To have a successful organization the head coach and GM have to be on the same page. Tomlin and Colbert obviously are with the Steelers. And for as much as the Pirates are criticized, Hurdle and Huntington are on the same page while accepting the financial constraints imposed by Nutting.

The Penguins seem to start with coach/GM on the same page, then it slowly unravels. It happened with Bylsma/Shero where Shero acquired players who Bylsma would then not play. Now, the same thing appears to be happening with Sullivan/Rutherford this past season. I liked Shero, but Rutherford's been around a lot longer and while he's shown himself to be open-minded, I just wonder how much coach insubordination he'll actually take.

KernKraft400

• Varsity
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018, 02:22:58 PM »

Despite the analogy of the Steelers/Pirates front office and coaches being so much more cushy with each other than the Pens, it's the Pens who have had more regular season and playoff success than the Steelers/Pirates the past 10 years.

This Hockey Forum here has become a bastion of over analyzation. 

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2018, 06:21:41 PM »

Madden reported today that the Penguins will be actively trying to trade Kessel in the offseason and Kessel is okay with it.

Some very interesting things will be happening with the Penguins in the next couple of months

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2018, 12:08:14 AM »

Yesterday Madden was talking about how Kessel didn't hit much or block shots, impluing that's what Sullivan doesn't like. I found it amusing since Brassard didn't demonstrate any interest in doing those two things either, but is still the fair-haired boy.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2018, 03:13:04 AM »

Yesterday Madden was talking about how Kessel didn't hit much or block shots, impluing that's what Sullivan doesn't like. I found it amusing since Brassard didn't demonstrate any interest in doing those two things either, but is still the fair-haired boy.

That is also why I have a bad feeling that Sprong won't be here too much longer either
Pages: 1 2 [3]