News:

Welcome to the New PSB

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ESPN  (Read 965 times)

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
Re: ESPN
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 06:04:35 PM »

First of all that is terrible news for Mr. Berman and his family. Thoughts and prayers.

Nicky, I agree. I can only take so much talk and opinion. They do have some good original programming  (30 for 30 for instance) but yes why not just more live sports? They could air an MLB game every night for instance after NBA season.

And yes hs, they do share way too much political opinion. The network itself definitely seems left leaning, but they give their personalities too much freedom to talk politics both ways. Easiest example is the Kaepernick situation. One could tell right away who was left leaning or right leaning simply by their response to the situation. I enjoy good political talk, but when I tune in to watch an NFL Pregame show or a sports journalism show I would rather not know that Mike Ditka is a conservative and Jamele Hill is a liberal, etc. And I do blame current ESPN management for that climate. Back in the day when Keith Olbermann was hosting Sports Center, no one would have noticed or cared what Olbermann's political leanings are/were because he never shared them, did not make grand standing statements,  etc. Just not what I am looking for when watching sports.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 12:25:58 PM »

Anyone else hear the new news about ESPN?

So we all have heard that people are going around the country and wanting statues taken down of confederate soldiers, presidents and others who owned slaves and even New York wants to take down a statue of Christopher Columbus that was given to us from Italy.

Well ESPN is pulling a broadcaster named Robert Lee from calling Virginia's first football game next month because they are worried about a backlash because of his name being so close to the confederate general Robert E. Lee. Never mind that the man is Asian and not one person complained before he was pulled. ESPN pulled him because they thought there might be complaints!

This politically correct garbage is just insane now IMO.

emm8

• All State
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 02:17:52 PM »

ESPN pulled him because they thought there might be complaints!

In their defense, their latest statement on the matter is that Mr. Lee approached them about him being uneasy in the situation.  He didn't want to become any part of the story, as opposed to just announcing the game.  He was obliged, and given the PITT v YSU game.

That said, I now watch way fewer minutes of ESPN than previously.  I tune in for games right at game time, and if I see Sports Center at all, it's the 2:00 am one from Cali. (lol...that's about all that's on at that time, and I'm retired now, and still up then!   ;) )  Even then, it's probably no more than 2 or 3 times a month that I even catch that edition.

hs

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 02:27:05 PM »

ESPN pulled him because they thought there might be complaints!

In their defense, their latest statement on the matter is that Mr. Lee approached them about him being uneasy in the situation.  He didn't want to become any part of the story, as opposed to just announcing the game.  He was obliged, and given the PITT v YSU game.

That said, I now watch way fewer minutes of ESPN than previously.  I tune in for games right at game time, and if I see Sports Center at all, it's the 2:00 am one from Cali. (lol...that's about all that's on at that time, and I'm retired now, and still up then!   ;) )  Even then, it's probably no more than 2 or 3 times a month that I even catch that edition.

I did hear he was moved to the Pitt game and last I heard he was not commenting on the situation. Funny that ESPN would put out that he was uneasy. Sounds like ESPN is trying to cover their butts IMO. If he would've put out there that he requested to be moved it probably would've squashed the story. And yes, I also barely watch ESPN anymore

yannessa_is_god

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 05:43:18 PM »

Today was the final airing of Mike and Mike. The show is/was 18 years old, the past 14 of which have been simulcast on ESPN2 and ESPN Radio.

I admittedly have not watched much in recent years but in a world of Mark Maddens and Stephen A. Smiths and Skip Baylesses Mike and Mike was actually pretty level headed and an easy watch or listen for sports fans. Like everything else at ESPN they went too NBA heavy in recent years which made the show pretty much unwatchable other than during football season, but it was at least a dependable watch.
Pages: 1 [2]