PSB

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the New PSB

Author Topic: Joyce fired at Canevin  (Read 588 times)

wpialbasketball

• Varsity
Joyce fired at Canevin
« on: April 25, 2017, 06:53:11 AM »

Short of something criminal that he has done (which he hasn't), I cannot think of a good reason to fire this coach.  Makes you realize why more and more people are getting out of coaching.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/high-school-basketball/2017/04/24/Tim-Joyce-Bishop-Canevin-girls-basketball-coach-WPIAL/stories/201704240143

shoelessjoe-1919

• Varsity
Re: Joyce fired at Canevin
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »

Why anybody coaches or officiated these days is beyond me. Parents ruin everything.

SJ

bfgrad

• Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 04:30:40 PM »

Parents don't have to ruin everything. The admin/AD/school board just have to stand behind and support the coach. When Kirchner coached baseball at BF, he actually told the parents that first, none of the players were going to make them rich (i.e., wasn't going to be a professional baseball player) and second that he'd decide who played and who didn't and wasn't going to tolerate any parent complaining about his/her son's playing time. Kirchner was an odd duck and eventually resigned, but he didn't have any trouble with parents.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 10:11:21 AM by bfgrad »

SmokeyBear915

• Jr. Varsity
  • "Everything Happens For A Reason"
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 02:44:43 PM »

Parents and entitlement are what is wrong with this world today.

Another non public school where parents pay tuition strikes again!

The problem is that they can bring in another coach and good recruits and will win because they are more talented.

Shame this happens! I am sure someone will hire the multiple WPIAL CHAMPION COACH!
You play to win the game!

shoelessjoe-1919

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 01:19:27 PM »

Parents and entitlement are what is wrong with this world today.
Another non public school where parents pay tuition strikes again!
The problem is that they can bring in another coach and good recruits and will win because they are more talented.
Shame this happens! I am sure someone will hire the multiple WPIAL CHAMPION COACH!

SmokeyBear, parental meddling certainly isn't exclusive to tuition paying parents.  In many ways, with no school board, it is easier to neutralize helicopter parents at a private school than it is at a public school.  We see school board/parent plots to overthrow coaches every year in many, many districts.  Thread after thread proves that, especially on the football board.

In one sentence you say they can just hire another coach and good recruits, and in the next you refer to Joyce's wpial titles. Seems like you are all over the place.

SJ

Bob.Gregg.WJPA.Radio

• Hall of Fame
  • That's why they actually PLAY the games....
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 02:58:39 PM »

.....The admin/AD/school board just have to stand behind and support the coach.
I remember when Ron Faust was AD at Wash High.
He told me about two different parents in two different scenarios asking to talk to him about a coach.
He asked if there was an abuse issue.  When told "no", he said "I politely told them that I'd talk with any parent about any coach after the season."

He told me he never heard from those parents again, and word got around that you weren't going to get any help from the AD because the coach wasn't playing 'lil Johnny as much as you thought he should be....

SmokeyBear915

• Jr. Varsity
  • "Everything Happens For A Reason"
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 11:42:48 AM »

Shoeless Joe you are correct, but any time I can get a chance to take a shot at the private schools I do and I don't care if people know my displeasure for the private schools competing with a competitive advantage against public schools! Heck I even root for my rivals against private schools. And yes I did coach at a private school before...

And to make sure it is also known, I don't hold anything against the players or coaches within these programs, I just hope that they don't win.
You play to win the game!

shoelessjoe-1919

• Varsity
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 07:53:51 PM »

That's great smokey.  You didn't clarify anything, but you did admit to a bias without addressing my point or making a valid argument. So you got that goin' for ya.

SJ